"Moving"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You asked "why" people would "move"? The main reason I used to "move" was my locals were all SD and they were visually horrible. Why would I watch network TV in crappy SD on my gigantic HDTV when there was a signal already coming to my house in beautiful HD? Like others have said, Directv doesn't care and/or are indifferent as long as you are paying.
My locals are still horrible stations, but they are in HD now, so I "moved" back.

As long as you are paying, and not account stacking, they probably don't care.

Possibly, but a very remote possibility. BTW, let's keep the personal stuff to a pm if anywhere.

I don't think so. If they know it's happening, it could be big trouble for them.

Not really. If a local affiliate were to sue DirecTV for allowing people to get out of market locals a judge would question if DirecTV has made a "reasonable effort" to prevent it from happening. Most would probably deem the use of spot beams as a "reasonable effort". Anything more like GPS in the receivers would be too cost prohibited to be considered reasonable.

Not to mention, most local market affiliates don't have the money to spare to go sue someone like directv and the bigger markets that do tend to be the ones that people are "moving" to so why would they want to do anything about it, more people seeing their advertiser's ads the better for them. So from the "business" point of view from all sides it's best for everyone to just leave it alone and I'm sure the CEO's realize that.

P.S. Check out www.satforums.com I think that forum would be better suited for you and that you might find more people to agree with you there.

Posted Via The FREE iOS SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
You asked "why" people would "move"? The main reason I used to "move" was my locals were all SD and they were visually horrible. Why would I watch network TV in crappy SD on my gigantic HDTV when there was a signal already coming to my house in beautiful HD? Like others have said, Directv doesn't care and/or are indifferent as long as you are paying.
My locals are still horrible stations, but they are in HD now, so I "moved" back.

I prefer to watch network tv via over the air antenna vs directv. Why? Because it looks better. Directv's feed has an extra recompression to it.

Posted Via The FREE iOS SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Why do people have to "move" to get different locals?. If you want those locals, then get up and move your physical home to that location. It's against DirecTV's TOS to give them a fake address where the equipment is located. There is always someone out there to disobey the rules and screw the system.

Really?

You must live somewhere with good channels. The locals in some areas are truly dreadful - not even HD for some!! No true 5.1 is common for locals, too. I pay the same amount of money as someone in the NYC DMA, yet they get significantly more channels than I do. I get many more locals than some people (Greensboro, NC), yet the DMA next to me (Raleigh) has more. Charlotte has very little in the way of locals. That is just plain stupid. Plus some local news is so pathetic, they don't deserve my money. Syndicated programming is not uniform and many markets don't carry all shows.

"moving" is one of the few things keeping me as a D* customer at the moment so I challenge them to question it.

Fairfield is solid NYC DMA. All other CT Counties are part of the Hartford DMA...Now, the sketchy part is the NYC RSN's go much farther into CT...for example. Litchfield and New Haven Counties are considered in the markets of the NYC teams. Except the Islanders and Devils. But, parts of those counties actually receive MSG, YES and SNY as their regular RSN's...weird
Cable customers who live in New Haven and Litchfield Counties may also have the Hartford AND NYC locals as well as Boston RSN's depending upon their zip code.
I had a friend that lived in Brick, NJ. This is about half way between NYC and Phila....On his cable, he got local from BOTH cities. he also had the RSN's from NYC but NOT Phila. Weird...

Indeed. Trust me, I've looked, but there isn't anywhere where you can get NYC and Boston complete RSN's (The best you can do is most of NY and most of Boston).

I'm lucky enough to get NYC OTA at 50+ miles out, so my solution is fairly clear.

I get all of NYC and only NESN. Several towns in CT get NESN and CSN, the only Boston rsns, but only YES and SNY.

Back in the day, with Dish, I used to live in the middle of nowhere in NH. We did eventually have locals, from Burlington, VT, but we were too far out to reliably receive them OTA. I remember when they'd let you buy two out of market channels for networks you were out of a certain OTA signal-strength range. I was able to get all of them. The cities were NYC, Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, and LA. With the Superstation and some OTA channels that Dish didn't carry - that was a lot of locals, without having to "move". I called often to switch the CBS and FOX feeds for football, as did many others who could do that.

Of course... we all know how that went over with the FCC and the results from it on Dish....

Directv only cares if you do it constantly. I know of people who seemed to move weekly for whatever reason.

I almost got busted last October until I later stated "my address wasn't supposed to be changed" in an e-mail, so they bought it and changed it back. How soon can I "move" again so I can get New York and Los Angeles NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox? As well as Washington D.C. and San Diego CW and PBSNet? I want to "move" to a less suspicious closer zip code this time. (Somebody here told me of a zip all the way in Texas.) Anyways I live in Rochester, MN and am at zip code 55901. Is there anywhere close that I could receive all those stations, and would it still be too risky?

no such location

Cant get both NY & LA without a RV waiver
Washington DC CW and San Diego CW are used in limited situations where there is no CW in that market. Its one or the other and Directv makes the decisions
PBS National is in markets that do not have a PBS in the market

Alot of "short" markets do. Unlike cable, Dish and Directv dont import a PBS from a neighboring market. As example Mankato, MN is only CBS & FOX. Both providers give them ABC & NBC from Minneapolis but the national PBS. Cable gets KTCA from Minneapolis for PBS

Looking at "thelist" at the top for Dish (since they have all 210 DMA's uplinked)
26 on Western Arc
9 on Eastern Arc

some are duplicates though as Dish is transitioning markets from one arc to another depending on location

Directv shows 21 markets that have the national PBS 389 (remapped to 65)

A3 Abilene 65 PBS (Virtual)
Bakersfield PBS 65 (Virtual)
A3 Beaumont 65 PBS (Virtual)
A3 Dothan 65 PBS (Virtual)
A3 Elmira, NY 65 PBS (Virtual)
A3 Hattiesburg 65 PBS (Virtual)
Lafayette, IN PBS 65 (Virtual)
Laredo, TX PBS 65 (Virtual)
Mankato PBS 65 (Virtual)
A3 Palm Springs 65 PBS (Virtual)
A3 Parkersburg 65 PBS (Virtual)
Rockford PBS 65 (Virtual)
Santa Barbara PBS 65 (Virtual)
A3 Sherman 65 PBS (Virtual)
A3 St. Joseph 65 PBS (Virtual)
A3 Tri-Cities 65 PBS (Virtual)
Tyler, TX PBS 65 (Virtual)
A3 Utica 65 PBS (Virtual)
A3 Wichita Falls 65 PBS (Virtual)
A3 Yuma 65 PBS
Zanesville PBS 65 (Virtual)

The A3 at the beginning means the other locals are on the HD sats

Now there are markets that Directv doesnt carry that ALSO would qualify for it but I assume they would pay for it separate. Places like Glendive, MT

Now there are markets that Directv doesnt carry that ALSO would qualify for it but I assume they would pay for it separate. Places like Glendive, MT

we get pbs automatically on channel 389. dont have to pay for it separate. directv doesnt have our locals and i get abc & fox via distants

Interesting information. Some markets have like 3 different "local" PBS stations, yet others get none.

yup. When I lived in Minneapolis we had 3 PBS's
KTCA Minneapolis (main PBS for Mpls)
KTCI Minneapolis (2ndary PBS)
KAWE Bemidji (about 200 miles away from Minneapolis yet still in the market...different programming and they have a nightly newscast)

And there are 2 other PBS stations that technically can be carried in Minneapolis market
KWCM Appleton...about 150 miles NW of Mpls and still in the market. Not carried but IS carried in the Sioux Falls market (they have a satellite station in Worthington, MN which is in the SF market). They've been trying to get enough $$ to get fibre to Minneapolis. Been trying for 3 years now
Wisconsin PBS. There is a station in the Minneapolis market (which extends a good 60 miles into Wisconsin) that is WPT but they gave up their right for must carry in Minneapolis.

Assume that the TX locations must get Dallas piped in on cable (or in Beaumont's case...Houston)

I guess satellites rule on importing stations doesnt include PBS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts