Moxi HD-DVR box

CDH

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 28, 2004
Greenville, SC
I've had Charter HD cable installed since Friday. The new high-tech Moxi box is driving me nuts.

I have read the manual here:
http://www.digeo.com/assets/manuals/viewersGuide.pdf

The HD recording quality is excellent, but the interface pales in comparison to the intuitive interface on my (SD) Tivo or even my former Voom STB. For starters, there is no way to get a traditional grid-style guide. Instead it uses a system of menus that requires FAR too many buttons to change channels. Finding programs I want to record is too time consuming.

Are any others having similar experiences?

This is enough to drive me to another provider!

CDH.

I love my Moxi. I just switched from E* and this is my first DVR and it is just cool. I guess I dont mind the way the guide is, its just as fast as a grid in my opinion, and I dont know of any other recording options from Tivo since I have never had one. The only thing that I dont like about the Moxi is that it tries to upconvert the analog channels and they look like ass but the 3.2 software update is supposed to fix this to give it native pass through.

When I called and asked, they said that it "could possibly" be out between April 28th and May 8th. In my opinion, they dont really know but its probably soon. I have heard that DVI will be supported as will native resolution pass through and the scaler is supposed to be improved upon so that when the box upconverts the non HD channels, it will look better. I cant wait for the last two things because analog channels look like ass on this thing. Anyways, when I get it, I will post it and how it has helped or not. www.avsforum.com has a real indepth thread on the Moxi in the HD Recorder link, they even have a guy from Moxi answering questions some times.

Just to clarify a couple of things - the 3.2 upgrade will allow native pass through for resolution, eliminating the need for manually switching from 1080i to 480i as you switch from HD to SD channels.

But, it will NOT solve the problem of the analog channels (below 100) looking bad. That problem is caused by the AD converter in the Moxi having to digitize the analog channels. Charter is rolling out digital simulcast in a number of areas right now to address this problem. That means they will send those channels both in digital and analog, so the Moxi will not have to do the digitizing. This should give picture quality comparable to the channels above 100.

Some Charter areas already have this, but I don't yet. Call them to find out the schedule for your area.

Paul

I thought the native pass through was going to bypass the AD converter somehow and send the analog signal to the tv in analog form so the tv can do with it what it wants to, i.e., do its own upconverting or leave it alone?

dispatcher_21 said:
I thought the native pass through was going to bypass the AD converter somehow and send the analog signal to the tv in analog form so the tv can do with it what it wants to, i.e., do its own upconverting or leave it alone?

The native pass through is for resolution. It allows the box to sent 1080i content to the TV in 1080i, and 480I content in 480i, etc. The way it currently works, you set ONE resolution, and everthing gets sent to the TV at that resolution, and the box resamples it. That's a pain, because if my TV receives 1080i, it won't let me view it in 4:3. So, I have to manually switch the resolution on the box everytime I go from SD to HD content.

But analog/digital is different. Because of the way the DVR works, everything gets written to the drive as you watch it. You're actually watching it from the HD at all times. This means it has to be digital. The channels that come through in analog are then digitized by the box. But the hardware in the box is not as good as what would be used at the cable company's head end, so the quality is not as good as the channels we receive already encoded to digital (those above 100).

When Charter gets everyone switched over to digital simulcast, they'll be sending the lower 100 in both analog and digital. So, people without a digital box will view the analog versions, and those of us with digital boxes will view the higher quality digital transmissions.

Make sense?

Paul

How many hours of HD recording are you guys getting on your moxi box? I get like 10 is that normal?? lol.... And i have Adelphia well now its Comcast and like you guys my first 100 channels which are analog look like crap but i decided to do a lil trick that i read here in the forum a while ago, hook up a 2 way splitter.. Run the cable from wall into splitter, 1 feed to cable box and 1 feed into Antenna A in back of TV.. Then did a channel scan and WOW, freakin shocked me they look digital to me, well most of them do atleast.. I would say a good 60% increase in picture quality, just have to switch inputs to watch analog and change surround sound setting every time.. But consider that a minor sacrifice to be able to watch analog in the quality that i am getting it now... Was really thinking about jumping to dish because Discovery is my favorite channel kinda because love american chopper, monster garage, etc.. and analog picture on that channel before the splitter was just flat out horrible lots of flickering and snow, clear now...lol....

SpringsGuy said:
How many hours of HD recording are you guys getting on your moxi box? I get like 10 is that normal??

Sounds about right. Not much, I know, but it's nice that they don't compress it any more. We may not have a lot of capacity at present, but the PQ is pretty darn good. The do have plans to increase capacity, but I'm not holding my breath.

Got the 3.2 update yesterday here in Walla Walla. I like it!!! The natvie pass through works as advertised and it is nice not having to switch all the time through the menu. Analogs look a little better, a noticable difference. All in all, 5 out of 5.

I got the Moxi 3.2 update last week for Charter in eastern WI. The native pass through for HD vs SD is very nice, but I thought there was suppose to be some improvement in the analog channels as well. To me that didn't happen.

I've split in cable, and run one to the box and the other to the TV. Much clearer picture from the cable alone vs the Moxi box.

I've heard about the digital simulcast. Anyone with Charter have this yet?

DAVE

I am moving to Asheville, NC and they are installing my MOXI box on the 20th. I hope I like it. The guide looks very TIVO'ish which I couldnt get used to when I had tivo. I prefer the grid guide like that used in replaytv and the satellite recievers. I hope I can get used to it!

How to program Moxi remote to use for my TV?

I have Moxi with Charter Cable Communications and enjoy it alot, my only issue is wanting to know, can the remote controls be programmed to turn on and off your TV as well as volume? Reason I ask is that there are 2 DVR's in my house and I've been trying to set mine up for my tv and also for my parents. I even looked thru the manual from the first post and didn't see any directions on the process if there is one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)