MPEG-4 and the 6000

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
Since the 6000 has replaceable modules, will Dish develop an MPEG-4 module to replace the 8psk?

The Dish 6000 is no longer being updated. So don't expect it. But Hardware wise, I bet that they could pull it off if they felt like it.

BTW: Dump that 6000, its a turd!

They are front end modules only, not decode modules. Everybody needs to learn that the modulation standard is separate from the encoding standard. Modulation = QPSK, 8PSK, QAM etc... Encoding = MPEG2, MPEG4, VC1 etc...

the 6000 would be on the bottom of the add MPEG-4 list. However, you might have a shot at upgrading to an MPEG4 compatible receiver at a discount. What that discount is is hard to say.

As to the 6000 handeling MPEG-4. based on my last experience it did not have a lot of CPU cycles left so it would be a toss up if it could handle MPEG4 or not with a daughter card.

Some misunderstanding here: the 8PSK module will works well for process current and future mux. Other parts of the 6000 receiver doesn't support MPEG-4 decoding, but one small company 169.com making special module what could stream out MPEG-4 packets for decoding by PC as they doing for HD MPEG-2 now.

Yes there is no MPEG-4 decoder chip inside the 6000 and there is no way that the 6000 could do software encoding. There might be a possibility technically of creating a daughter card that had an 8PSK module on it with an MPEG4 decoder but my guess is the board architecture is not set up for this either.

Besides all those reasons, in terms of development cost and return on investment it makes no sense. Upgrade to an MPEG-4 receiver will be the path to MPEG-4 for all current receivers (My humble opinion).

WeeJavaDude said:
the 6000 would be on the bottom of the add MPEG-4 list. However, you might have a shot at upgrading to an MPEG4 compatible receiver at a discount. What that discount is is hard to say.

As to the 6000 handeling MPEG-4. based on my last experience it did not have a lot of CPU cycles left so it would be a toss up if it could handle MPEG4 or not with a daughter card.

The 6000 cannot decode MPEG4 noway, nohow. End of story.

Thanks for the education. I know the 6000 is an old turd but it serves me well, kind of like the old 56 Ford, it just keeps on truckin. At least all of the bugs except for the OTA losing it's brains have been ironed out.

I do hope Dish has a good upgrade route though. I'm holding off on getting any new Dish equipment until they change over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts