Mpeg2-4 and 2 year Commitment

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

billybill

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
I am presently unable to upgrade to the 5 LNB dish due to LOS issues. If I get a new receiver I am locked into a 2 year commitment. If during that 2 years my LOS issues due not get cleared and the MPEG 2 signal is turned off will I still be locked into my 2 year lease?

I live in NY and I understand I will not be able to get the new HD channels without a 5 LNB dish.

If you upgrade your receiver to HD or a DVR you should be locked into a 2 year commitment no matter what. You could always buy an old MPEG2 HD receiver off of ebay and try to use it instead of upgrading to the new receivers.

If you upgrade your receiver to HD or a DVR you should be locked into a 2 year commitment no matter what. You could always buy an old MPEG2 HD receiver off of ebay and try to use it instead of upgrading to the new receivers.
Yes, but no matter where billybill might get an old MPEG2 HD-DVR, it won't help him get the new HD channels. billybill will need the 5LNB dish to get the new sat's, regardless of the STB. (as he previously stated)

billybill - have you had D* come out and do a site review to see if there is somewhere else on your property where they can move the dish? Other side of the roof/yard for instance? Is the LOS issue something that you can control, or is it in a neighbor's yard?

It would be my guess that if the MPEG2 channels go dark within the remaining time of any contract you are in with D*, then they would have to allow you to cancel. If you cannot receive their service through no fault of theirs or yours, I think they should let you go without penalty.

Yes, but no matter where billybill might get an old MPEG2 HD-DVR, it won't help him get the new HD channels. billybill will need the 5LNB dish to get the new sat's, regardless of the STB. (as he previously stated).

Correct but he stated that he has LOS issues with the 5LNB dish that is preventing him from getting it. At least with the older equipment he will be able to get OTA channels.

He can get OTA with the newer equipment too. Either the H20/HR20 (ATSC tuner built-in) or H21/HR21 (ATSC tuner with the addition of an AM21) can get OTA. The point is, no new HD without the dish, no matter the receiver.

He can get OTA with the newer equipment too. Either the H20/HR20 (ATSC tuner built-in) or H21/HR21 (ATSC tuner with the addition of an AM21) can get OTA. The point is, no new HD without the dish, no matter the receiver.

You are correct about the no new HD without the dish and newer receivers, but why get into a two year contact if you can't get the new HD channels because of LOS issues? Why get into a two year contract only for OTA? There are many older receivers that will get the OTA HD feeds without a new contract. That is the point.

i'm a dish customer thinking of joining you guys. i was wondering if directv is already using mpeg4 and is for hd and sd?

They are using MPEG4 for all of their HD except for a handful of channels. All SD channels are still MPEG2.

I know I will not be able to get new HD channels without the new dish. The tress in question are on my neighbors property across the street. I am hopeful that they will be trimmed or removed in the near future to give me the LOS I need. Since they are not mine I can not guarantee that this will happen. Directv has been to my house, I do have a private installer coming to see if a "non standard" install can be done.

I presently receive MPEG 2 HD channels. My concern is, if during my 2 year commitment the MPEG 2 sats are turned off will I still be locked into the reamainder of my commitment?

If you already get 101, the angles aren't that different for 99 and 103, where the new HD channels are. Usually the problems are with 110 and 119, where the few MPEG2 channels are. They will be moving soon and there will be a 3 LNB Ku/Ka dish coming out before long.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)