MPEG2 HD to move to MPEG4 Thursday 7/31

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The image quality of MPEG2 vs MPEG4 is dependent upon how much bandwidth is allocated. Sure MPEG4 is more efficient and thus can produce an equal or better picture with less bandwidth, however a company can starve MPEG4 bandwidth just as easily as MPEG2 if they want to do so.

The image quality of MPEG2 vs MPEG4 is dependent upon how much bandwidth is allocated. Sure MPEG4 is more efficient and thus can produce an equal or better picture with less bandwidth, however a company can starve MPEG4 bandwidth just as easily as MPEG2 if they want to do so.
I will be very happy if ESPN and ESPN2 look like ESPNews. I remember watching highlights of the NBA playoffs on ESPNews and PQ for the games that aired on ESPN is night and day. Also I hope once NBA starts TNT games will look like the Baseball games that air on TBS.

So, does this mean that the requirement that used to be in place where you had to be able to see 110 and 119 to get HD installed will now be over? A friend of mine ran into this and as a result of it switched to cable about a month ago.

So, does this mean that the requirement that used to be in place where you had to be able to see 110 and 119 to get HD installed will now be over? A friend of mine ran into this and as a result of it switched to cable about a month ago.

They probably won't do the install till the local service co. has the Slimline3 in stock. Call and make sure first. "I personally see no reason not to start setting customers up for 99-101-103 installs now with the current slimline dish".

That would explain why Directv called me to upgrade my HR10-250, the other day. Guess I'll have to take them up on their offer for a free HD DVR.

My wife still uses the HD Tivo and it wiped her channels out and it deactivated the DVR service. I had to call Directv to activate it on the server and reboot the box. I didnt bother putting back the channels in the 70 range back on since I knew they are going away.

HBO hd and Showtime hd have three mirrored channels of the same channel. Will both upper channels of each be MPEG4??

Will they do away with one of the upper channels with the switch??

HBO hd and Showtime hd have three mirrored channels of the same channel. Will both upper channels of each be MPEG4??

Will they do away with one of the upper channels with the switch??

509 (HBO HD) and 543(Showtime HD) have been gone for a while. The channels in the 70s (including HBO and Showtime HD) will remain there in MPEG2 form. 501 and 537 will now become MPEG4 only. People with MPEG2 only receivers have only been getting 501 and 537 in SD only. The existing MPEG2 version of 501 and 537 were only available on the H2X and HR2X boxes.

ESPN HD is definitely coming in off of D11. It looks much sharper - but the way I really know - my signal level is only 47% - and this is off the 99a bird on my H21.

Luckily I have a tech coming out this morning to realign. Guess I timed that one right.

Great work DirecTV. Except I now need to redo my series links to the 390s versions. :)

Small rant: Without the ability to switch between tuners, on my HR20, easily (lack of DLB) it will be difficult to make PQ comparisons. But, that's another thread.

Great work DirecTV. Except I now need to redo my series links to the 390s versions. :)

Small rant: Without the ability to switch between tuners, on my HR20, easily (lack of DLB) it will be difficult to make PQ comparisons. But, that's another thread.
Just record one or both and use the PREV button.

ESPN HD is definitely coming in off of D11. It looks much sharper - but the way I really know - my signal level is only 47% - and this is off the 99a bird on my H21.

Luckily I have a tech coming out this morning to realign. Guess I timed that one right.

I have signal strengths on D11 in the 20's-30's. I called Directv to get it repeaked and they told me they couldn't do it until I actually lose service! It's a perfectly clear day here, and my signal strength is low, yet they won't fix it until the signal actually goes out. Is this normal, or did I get a CSR in a bad mood?

I have signal strengths on D11 in the 20's-30's. I called Directv to get it repeaked and they told me they couldn't do it until I actually lose service! It's a perfectly clear day here, and my signal strength is low, yet they won't fix it until the signal actually goes out. Is this normal, or did I get a CSR in a bad mood?

So call them back and tell them you don't have:

ESPN-HD (206)
ESPN2-HD (209)
TNT-HD (245)
HD Theater (281)
HBO-HD (501)
Showtime HD (537)
Universal HD (259)
HDNet(306)
HDNet Movies (552)

These are the new MPEG4 versions of those channels on 99(c)/D11.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)