MPEG4 locals question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
I live in a DMA in South Dakota so I am probably not going to see MPEG4 locals at least for another year. However, I already have the HR20. What I'm wondering could I get the AT9 installed, then tell D* that I moved to somewhere in Minneapolis and get the Minneapolis MPEG4 locals or would I be out of the spot beam where I'm at?

hahler2 said:
I live in a DMA in South Dakota so I am probably not going to see MPEG4 locals at least for another year. However, I already have the HR20. What I'm wondering could I get the AT9 installed

YES

then tell D* that I moved to somewhere in Minneapolis and get the Minneapolis MPEG4 locals or would I be out of the spot beam where I'm at?

It all depends on the overlap and size of the spot beam you change your service to.

Where (zip) are you physically in SD? A MOD here named Iceberg is in that Minnesota area (I think) and he MIGHT know about the spot beam sizes in said area; I am not 100% sure because I think he is a Dish Network user.

I have attached a VERY OLD map that shows approximate beams and one could guess that all you could do is TRY. Get the dish which you will need down the road anyway, and then test your new zip, if it doesn't work there is no harm.

Attachments

• spots3.jpg
    spots3.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 140
  • spots2.jpg
    spots2.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
yep, I'm in MN (Mpls area)

If I remember reading (I havent had Direct since they bought Primestar and we were in a Pegasuck area) that the HD spotbeam is pretty much most of MN and that's it

I can tell you that in NYC area you CAN move to get Wash DC, also Boston - obviously the beam reaches at leAST 200-225 miles.

but in MN 225 miles from Minneapolis is still the DMA (especially if you go north of Minneapolis) so they might aim the spotbeam farther north

ScoBuck said:
I can tell you that in NYC area you CAN move to get Wash DC, also Boston - obviously the beam reaches at leAST 200-225 miles.

Not all beams are the same size, or better said there is no standard beam size or shape.

This is kinda what I figured. Charper by your first post the spot beam that covers MN also covers my part of SD. However, that is an old picture. Do you guys know anywhere that they have updated the spotbeam coverages?

Why not just move some where that qualifies for Distant Locals? you could 'move' to nowhere Montana and get locals from LA. Or move to some place out in the middle of nowhere in New England and get NY Locals.

Seems like the better 'move'.

hahler2 said:
This is kinda what I figured. Charper by your first post the spot beam that covers MN also covers my part of SD. However, that is an old picture. Do you guys know anywhere that they have updated the spotbeam overages?

NO, thus the old maps and the recommendation is all you can do is trial and error.

I am actually "living" somewhere that qualifies for the distant locals. The only reason I thought about switching is, 1, the MPEG4 picture quality is supposed to be much better, and 2, I get the LA stations right now. I'm a Vikings fan. Most of the time the LA station doesn't have the Vikings game in HD. Where as the Minneapolis locals would.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)