MPEG4 / Phoenix AZ

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fkostyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
I was wondering if anyone here can shed light on Phoenix, AZ MPEG4 timeframe.

I saw an AT9 dish today that was setup and installed in the metro Phoenix area (I saw it driving by, and then drove around to confirm that it really was one.) I just found this interesting due to the fact that MPEG4 dates have not been announced for here yet.

Well we should be next on the list, we are #14; by end of this qtr I would bet. I would assume a savvy user went ahead and got their setup and did it themselves or may be an installer or equipment dealer/retailer themselves.

Attachments

• 09_2005 DMA List.zip
    95.3 KB · Views: 246
I realize that were next on the list - I was just curious if there are some people "testing" it yet or not.

Price

I was just quoted a price for the new equipment you will need for this, and it's $99.

They say you need a new dish, but I do have the Oval one already, is there some even newer??

They also said the box will not be a DVR and currect DVRs on the market will not work and they do not have a date for the new DVR to be release. For MPEG4 Compatibility.

I was able to get a waiver for Fox 10 HD in Phoenix here, so I can watch it on Ch 88 or 89, I wasn't at home, but they turned it on.

That means Bears game in HD. I was gonna complain about the White Sox World Series no in HD, but I was afraid to jinx the White Sox. I hope I didn't jinx the bear getting this channel turned on.

FOX 10 in Phx does not require a Waiver, it's already Waived. I guess.

DrWho- Are you in the Phx area? Did D* quote you the price and offer an appointment to install the 5LNB & Receiver?

Fox 10 is a Fox Own/Operated station so they don't care if you watch LA's Fox station. I'm on my 4th request for waivers on chs 5/12/15 and they keep turning me down.

Bump. I just switched from E* to D* and should have the H20 installed soon.

Anyone know when the local HDs will start popping up on the mpeg4 receivers in Phoenix?

Daz said:
DrWho- Are you in the Phx area? Did D* quote you the price and offer an appointment to install the 5LNB & Receiver?
Fox 10 is a Fox Own/Operated station so they don't care if you watch LA's Fox station. I'm on my 4th request for waivers on chs 5/12/15 and they keep turning me down.

In the Awhautukee area, don't ask me to spell it correctly. Very close to the Antennnaes on South Mountain.

They did not offer to install it and I already have the newest dish.

I didn't even need a waiver, they just turned it on in a couple minutes. Maybe that's the waiver process? I don't know how long a waiver should take. I did not have to complain at all, they pretty much looked up some list and boom it was on.

And of course the Bears lost.

swartzfeger said:
Bump. I just switched from E* to D* and should have the H20 installed soon.
Anyone know when the local HDs will start popping up on the mpeg4 receivers in Phoenix?
Just having the H20 will not get you the HD locals. You'll need an AT9 (5 LNB) dish, too.

I know at least 1 (maybe 2) of the Phoenix area affiliates are O&O, thats why their network counterparts just come on without a waivers process. That was already worked out via contract.

And yes the Ahwatukee Foothills community (actually Phoenix proper) is very close to the towers @ 2.9 miles
My wife works right near there at E Ray Rd and S 50th St near I-10

Last edited:
Hey swartzfeger,
How the heck are you going to have the "H20 installed soon"? I just spoke to a CSR two nights ago and she said that Phoenix won't have the new dish/receiver until May 1st. Plus, she said that the new HD-DVR is due to be released "hopefully" before the end of 2006.

DrWho said:
FOX 10 in Phx does not require a Waiver, it's already Waived. I guess.

Do you have to call Fox for the waiver, or can you just call D* directly?

jonkomar said:
Hey swartzfeger,
How the heck are you going to have the "H20 installed soon"? I just spoke to a CSR two nights ago and she said that Phoenix won't have the new dish/receiver until May 1st. Plus, she said that the new HD-DVR is due to be released "hopefully" before the end of 2006.

As a dealer here in Glendale we were told that we wouldnt see the new KaKu Dish and H20 rec till Mid April to the first part of May.

The H20 is availiable (ALONE) in the Phoenix area Best Buy store for in-store pick up for $199.99 and the $200 rebate.

Superstition Spring AZ 6315 E Southern Ave, Mesa, AZ 85206
Mesa AZ 1337 S Alma School Rd, Mesa, AZ 85210
Scottsdale Pavilion AZ 9190 E Indian Bend Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85250
Camelback AZ 1949 E Camelback Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85016

Not in any local Circuit City, but the will ship it to you for the same price as above.

Last edited:
Odys said:
Do you have to call Fox for the waiver, or can you just call D* directly?

I called D* directly, said I was having issues with getting the HD signal, I don't get it where I am at. I may get it if I move the Antennae, as it did help about a year ago.

Then I asked if there was a way to get it on an alternative channel.

She took a moment to look up my location etc and said I was qualified.
Took about 3 mintues.

So just a call to D* did it. But it could be entirely my location to South Mountain that allowed them to turn on FOX-West Coast feed for me.

DrWho said:
So just a call to D* did it. But it could be entirely my location to South Mountain that allowed them to turn on FOX-West Coast feed for me.

The FOX affiliate in Phoenix is O&O so there is NO hassle to get the national FOX turned on. O&O are always pre-approved and good to go.

charper1 said:
The FOX affiliate in Phoenix is O&O so there is NO hassle to get the national FOX turned on. O&O are always pre-approved and good to go.

I just got off the phone with D* and I got hassled big time over this. They said no way will they turn on the national feed, that it was against the law. I asked for the supervisor, who was the rudest prick I ever spoke to at D*, who told me I'd have to write to my congressman, and even then they wouldn't do it. When I said I knew several people locally who had the national feed turned on, he said they lied to me. I'm so pissed off right now I'm tempted to cancel my service over a channel I didn't even care that much about getting anyway. I'm calling back to file a complaint against the supervisor for poor customer service.

Odys: In Maricopa Co, the only distant service they will turn on is Fox ch89 (LA Fox HiDef) .... they will not turn on 88 (NY HiDef) or the 380s (NY & LA Standard Def feeds) unless you live in some seriously remote areas of Arizona.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts