MRV and DECA are now Live Nationwide

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here's an Amazon link for $190.

Amazon.com: DIRECTV Plus® HR24 High Definition MPEG-4 DVR (HR-24) HD DVR: Electronics

Solid Signal for $200

DIRECTV HR24 High Definition DIRECTV PLUS MPEG-4 DVR (HR24) HD DVR - DIRECTV - HR24 -

Overstock did have some for about $160-170 but I think they are sold out.

Video comparing HR24 to HR20. Goto about 2:00

YouTube - HR20 vs HR24 comparison.mp4

Video comparing HR24 to HR23

YouTube - DIRECTV HR24-500 speed demonstration

Check this thread here for lots of very positive user opinion.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/212331-just-ordered-hr24.html

Rey says it compares very favorably to the Vip 722.
Well the HR 24 looks faster, But without using it myself, I can't say it looks as fast as the 722, But a vast improvement.

Also one of the major issues is Channel surfing, Not guide surfing.

I want to see the HR 24 in action switching channels in and out of Native mode.

Well the HR 24 looks faster, But without using it myself, I can't say it looks as fast as the 722, But a vast improvement.

Also one of the major issues is Channel surfing, Not guide surfing.

I want to see the HR 24 in action switching channels in and out of Native mode.

Here's Rey review of the HR24 including discussion of channel changes.

many of you know how much i've complained about the directv dvr's in the past. that ends here today with the HR24-500.
first thing i noticed after i plugged it in is how much faster boot up time is on these dvr's.

despite the fact that the HR24 had to download all the guide data, this thing was FAST!! unlike its predecessors which you have to give them 24hrs after for example a CE download to settle in, this thing is immediately fast. Set up was a breeze.

i decided to take advantage of the load the dvr had downloading all the guide data to test it to the max. I began recording two things at once. on my HR21 while it recorded just one program it always made the box painfully slow! hanging on so many commands no matter what they were. well the HR24 while recording two shows at once, downloading guide data and playing a previous recording at the same time performed better than i could've ever imagined! it didn't miss a beat. guide scrolling was lightning fast. performed every single command at the press of a button on the remote. (with the directv remote and the harmony) did not hang a single time.

channel changing is faster.bringing up your list of recordings is faster. bringing up the guide is faster. going through the set up menu is faster! from the moment you select a recording for playback to when it begins playback is also faster. response to FFW or REW is faster. deletion of recordings is faster! there's nothing this dvr hasn't been able to handle yet.

coming from dish and there excellent line up from the vip series, i can say that finally the speed and power between the HR24 and the VIP series from Dish are evenly matched!Finally!
from a cosmetic point of view this thing is gorgeous! no irritating blue ring of light. the directv logo lights up on the front panel. very beautiful.
you can't hear a thing. the HR24 is whisper quiet.

overall i'm extremely pleased. expectations were exceeded. if you are tired as much as i was from dealing with slow dvrs, THEN GO GET YOURSELF A HR24-500!!!!!!!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/212331-just-ordered-hr24-9.html#post2212745

I asked Rey the native question and this was his response.

Hey bud. I don't use native mode. I've always hated the way that works.but I just tried it and from what I remember with the hr21 its faster with the hr24. I always have it set at 1080i and screen format at pillar box so it never stretches the sd channels.

Ps. I just did a comparison with my hr20-700 and yes it is faster but I would never use this.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/212331-just-ordered-hr24-10.html#post2212919

So far so good with mrv(knock on wood), I really like the 24, it moves so much faster. I was the guys first mrv install and he had trouble getting the 24 to recognize my 22 but he did a re boot and there it was.

Do you need a DECA to use MRV? Can I just connect my receiver and my DVR to my router through Ethernet and use MRV?

Cool thanks.

So then Direct will only charge me the $3/month?

Also, the tech told me that my HR20 will not do MRV, and that I would have to get a newer DVR, is that true?

yes to the $3/month.

The tech was out of his mind on the HR20. The HR20 will do MRV. The only issue with the HR20-100 is that it won't send out power to the Deca like the other receivers. There is a workaround for it so you don't have to replace the receiver.

can I get DECA to work with my H20s? I am still upset with D* for giving me H20s for my install last summer seeing as they were outdated at the time. I paid $200 to get two HD receivers advertised to support a ton of features on their website, and the crappy H20s don't do any of it.

can I get DECA to work with my H20s? I am still upset with D* for giving me H20s for my install last summer seeing as they were outdated at the time. I paid $200 to get two HD receivers advertised to support a ton of features on their website, and the crappy H20s don't do any of it.

NOPE. You will need to replace these receivers. If you go with the Directv upgrade they will replace these for the one single fee.

does the H20 support deca though? or will they want $200 for receivers and then $150 to hook up deca :\

At least with Dish you always got the best hardware with installations

H20 are special , they are not compatable with deca and mrv for the 99 dollars normal fee dtv will replace an H20 with another H2x model that is deca and mrv compatable.

Issues with MRV

I had the system installed on Weds and although the tech had problems with the new H24 loading the multi room software, it eventually did. My current equipment is HR21-200, HR21-700,H21-200, & H24-100.

My issue is that if I try to watch my recordings from more than one room at a time, I get an error message that says that there are two many events being watched at the same time. This doesn't make sense because there is only 2 events being watched at the same time and I should be able to watch up to 4 in 4 different rooms because of the two DVR's (what D's site says anyway). Anyone else having this issue or have any suggestions?:confused:

You can watch one locally and stream one to another unit. Each DVR can only send one stream at a time.

With DIRECTV's Whole-Home DVR service, you and your family can watch two recorded shows at the same time on separate TVs — for example, your kids can watch one show on the TV in their room and you can watch another in the living room. If you happen to have a second HD DVR, you can watch up to four recorded shows at the same time in different rooms — every HD DVR in your Whole-Home DVR setup allows you to watch two recorded shows at the same time in different rooms. Isn't this a total contradiction?

This question has probably been answered, but, I am curious on what the real benefits for MRV are? If we have three DVRS in our house, is it worth getting the MRV?

This question has probably been answered, but, I am curious on what the real benefits for MRV are? If we have three DVRS in our house, is it worth getting the MRV?

Depends, are the SD or HD DVRs. HD DVRs yes since each one would be able to share recorded shows with the other. SD DVRs no since only the now hard to find R22 SD DVR is MRV capable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)