MRV Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

menocare

Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Sorry if this has been covered before, my forum searching is not very proficient.

I currently have Dish, and the only reason I have stayed with it this long is my HDDVR and its dual tuner functionality. Basically i love having 1 reciever and being able to watch the second tuner from any other room in my house, including both live and recorded shows.

So does the new Directv MRV have this same functionality? It appears their MRV only works with recorded shows, and only works between 2 recievers, but as i don't have it, I am not completely sure. If I can't use only 1 reciever then i guess i'm staying with dish until directv gets their act together.

On a side note, does anyone know if the new Tivo will be able to do what i want with Directv? If so, i could just buy it and switch.

If this has been covered and you know where, just throw the link to the forum at me, and tell me to shut up and learn to search better.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry if this has been covered before, my forum searching is not very proficient.

I currently have Dish, and the only reason I have stayed with it this long is my HDDVR and its dual tuner functionality. Basically i love having 1 reciever and being able to watch the second tuner from any other room in my house, including both live and recorded shows.

So does the new Directv MRV have this same functionality? It appears their MRV only works with recorded shows, and only works between 2 recievers, but as i don't have it, I am not completely sure. If I can't use only 1 reciever then i guess i'm staying with dish until directv gets their act together.

On a side note, does anyone know if the new Tivo will be able to do what i want with Directv? If so, i could just buy it and switch.

If this has been covered and you know where, just throw the link to the forum at me, and tell me to shut up and learn to search better.

Thanks for the help.

MRV won't do what you want to do.

You still need a 2nd receiver, either a HD DVR or HD receiver for the 2nd TV. What MRV allows you to do is share recordings between any HD DVR or HD receiver that's connected to your network.

DirecTV is part of the RVU alliance which is supposed to have one central server that can feed remote sets, but those sets would need either a built in RVU client or an external RVU client to be able to access the server, still not the Dish 'TV2' feature you're looking for. And from what I've seen you won't see that ever from DirecTV, MRV and RVU is their direction.

Also add, you can share two TVs with the same receiver with Direct. It just doesn't have two different tuners. So if you want to watch both TVs at the same time, they both have to be on the same channel.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't answer your Tivo question, but based on anything I've seen the answer to that is also no, no TV2 type function.

If TV2 now is a SD set then you're probably just happy with the Dish DVR. But when you switch that TV2 to HD then even with Dish you'll be looking at another HD DVR or replace your 1st HD DVR with a 922 and then get a HD Slingcatcher (or whatever it's called) for the 2nd TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)