MRV Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

willager2

Original poster
May 27, 2010
Georgia
I am expecting a new installation next week. It will have 3 HR24s and one HD receiver. It will be a SWM install. I've been reading all the posts but would appreciate some clarification on a couple of points
1. I know each DVR will be able to see/play whatever is on the others. But when it comes to recording is the To Do list separate for each DVR. In other words if you have 4 shows you want to record at the same time, do you need to go to two DVR's and set each one up to do 2 shows, or can you set all the recordings up from one receiver and it passes off the info to the others?
2. I would like to have the receivers also connected to the internet. One of the HR24's will be very near my router. can the connection be made from it or does there need to be a separate coax run from the swm to the router? If a separate coax, I would then think I would need an 8 port swm. 4 for the receivers and one for the coax to the router. Is that correct?
Thanks
Pete

!) Currently you need to have each DVR set up to record. Hopefully, the ability to schedule a recording on the remote DVR is in a future update.

2) With a DECA setup, there will be a DECA module used to connect the system to your router. You have a total of seven tuners, so the SWM can handle it fine. The DECA module doesn't use one of the 8.
The installer will do what's needed to make everything work correctly.

Also you should check out the thread "HR24 DECA Problems HELP" by wildbill129. Basically it says if your DECA isn't working with the HR24s once it's set up, do the satellite setup on them again. It would have saved my installer a lot of time if I had read that entire thread earlier!

While each DVR will only be able to schedule recordings to itself, your non-DVR HD receiver can schedule recordings on any of the DVRs.

The SWM LNB only has one output port so a splitter will be used to connect to the cables running to the receivers. An additional 2-way splitter can be used to share one of the cables with both your HR24 and the DECA connected to your router.

If you use the HD receiver at your central view place then you could do what you want. I have all DVRs but would consider dropping one for a non DVR just for that purpose. I'm waiting to see if they add that feature to DVRs.

If you use the HD receiver at your central view place then you could do what you want. I have all DVRs but would consider dropping one for a non DVR just for that purpose. I'm waiting to see if they add that feature to DVRs.

I thought about moving my HD receiver to my main viewing location for this exact thing. The reason that I did not do it is that I would miss the ability to just pause and rewind on demand. If the recording was not already started on another reciver you would not be able to rewind to another point of the program.

I thought about moving my HD receiver to my main viewing location for this exact thing. The reason that I did not do it is that I would miss the ability to just pause and rewind on demand. If the recording was not already started on another reciver you would not be able to rewind to another point of the program.

Good point. The only thing I watch live is sports, but it would be a drawback.

Status
Please reply by conversation.