MT PBS switch to S2

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well I checked today and it's still dropping out on me. No other issues with any other channels S2 or otherwise on any bird. I'm using the Sathawk and a 36" Primestar dish...Guess I'll learn to live without MT PBS...Blind

Yes, I'm a little disappointed to say the least. I'm currently using a finely tuned 90cm dish and MT PBS breaks up and freezes badly. I was thinking about buying a larger Ku dish like a 1.2m from SatAV buy I don't know if it will help. This is frustrating because everything else on 125W comes in fine (LPB is a little low but not too bad). MT PBS must have the power turned way down on their transponder.

Just thought I would post this from Dean. I have no S2 box yet.

Hello again…
I have noticed a few people reporting dropouts. We have not had any issues to report from the uplink. All has been very stable.
For what its worth… My friend using the 95cm dish did change his LNB to a Spitfire .1 db
I think that sells for about 17 bucks on ebay.

Best regards,
Dean Lawver
Director of Technology
MontanaPBS

This is what I had to do to resolve the issues I was having with the new Montana S2 signal, here on the east coast of Canada

1) Go from a 1M dish to a 1.2M dish, the smaller dish rarely ever saw the signal.

2) Move the dish 1/2 degree to the west (I have a motor), as mentioned in a previous post the is a signal on the adjacent satellite 123W from UWTV at 12040V 3361 DVB S2 which is very close in frequency and could be causing problems particularly for folks with smaller dishes. This type of interference would typically vary as the relative strength of the 2 signals varied due to propagation variations.

3) Change my LNB from a Digiwave DGL-790 to a Spitfire Elite this produced a 30% increase in quality. My guess it is not the so called low noise performance of this LNB but the superior interference rejection and lower phase noise that helped.

Signal level and quality are now better that the the old DVB signal.

My guess is that a lot of the problems people are experiencing with the new MPB signal are due to interference from UWTV and you just have to experiment to find out what changes make the biggest difference with your set up.

Last edited:
I think they found a bit more juice. I'm getting it at 92 on the AZBox, I've never seen it this strong before (20 to 25 points higher). Strongest signal on 125 right now (like it use to be in the "old" days). And it's stable! Hopefully, will stay at these levels.

I think they found a bit more juice. I'm getting it at 92 on the AZBox, I've never seen it this strong before (20 to 25 points higher). Strongest signal on 125 right now (like it use to be in the "old" days). And it's stable! Hopefully, will stay at these levels.

I noticed that last night as well. Sadly its back to where it was.

thanks to the forum, i am now able to get montana pbs with my solomend (sathawk pvr800). i was receiving it alway breaking up until i read the post from sadie up above. i have a geopro 90mm dish and q31h lnb and did not change them. what i did is my location is 097.47w. i changed that to 097.07w to see if the dish would move a little more to the west to avoid the interfering signal from sat 123. evidently it made the signal clearer so no breakups so far this morning. signal q is up from 25 to 35 percent. it's hard to tell with the s2 signal. hope this makes sense. charlie

Status
Please reply by conversation.