Multi LNB Bracket - Whats your setup like ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
This is a general question for those receiving more than one bird on their satellite dish , whether you're using a hose clamp or actual multi LNB bracket.

If you have had success receiving signals from different satellite using for example a 90cm dish what was the biggest and smallest allowable spacing between satellites and what is your setup , what sats are you getting on one dish ?

I picked up a multi LNB bracket two holidays ago from Satellite AV and I am tempted in using it for one of my unused 3ABN dishes , would actually be my first time using a disecq switch.

This would be for my Mom who loves News-International News-Information and Educational.
My thinking was that I would try Galaxy 19 @ 97.0 , Galaxy 25 @93.1 , and Galaxy 28 @ 89.0
What I would be adding
ABC NEWS NOW
AZTECA 7 - Variety
AZTECA 13-Variety
PROYECTO 40-Educational
Aljazeera English
Mhz Worldview
Russia Today

Had the PBS mux stayed @ 87.0 BBC NEWS would've been another great addition

I too have had some interest of late about placing multiple LNBFs on a single dish. Actually I was wondering about weather or not it would be possible to put two LNBFs on a 6ft prime focus dish. Or would an offset dish work better? Or does C-band automatically require a Toroidal dish

I have a starchoice 75E and have no trouble getting 3+ sats on it using their lnb plus a piece of wood and tie wraps, lol with 97 and 93 on the starchoice lnb, the dish skews so it makes it easier to add and line up more lnb's with the piece of wood strapped to it, for me anyways. Also the linear duel eye on the starchoice does 4 degree spacing 97 - 101, 85 -89,etc if that helps you any. Also on my 1.2 meter i can get 1 degree spacing with homemade lnb holders or tie straps.

Using a Geosatpro 90cm and a CM 75e with a set of these:
Accessories-FTA Satellite Equipment

I can easily get 6 degrees with the offset LNBF's more susceptible to rain fade.

8 degrees works but has more problems more often than 6 degrees, unless it's strong like 101
°W or DBS

I've done the popular 119
°W, 123°W, 129°W on both the 75e and the Geosatpro
I've also done 97
°W, 89°W, 83°W on the 75e but only because it can skew the entire dish.
°W/89°W is easy enough for MHz and ABC NN
I stopped using that setup right about the time they upped the power on 12152 H
so I have no idea if Russia Today and AJE will be borderline above threshold still or if they will be fine.

Second, the 6
°-8° offset LNBF need to have scalar rings unlike the Geosatpro bullets to increase signal Quality.

jay
I used one of those on my 90cm dish. I had one of the Glorystar dual LNB setups which allowed me to get 93/97 and then I used 2 of those setups to add 89W and 103W

The advantage of Azteca & ABCNews is they are very strong signals so you may want to try 97W first then add a LNB for 93W.

see pics

Attachments

• 000_0420.jpg
    000_0420.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 1,787
  • 000_0424.jpg
    000_0424.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 2,438
  • 000_0426.jpg
    000_0426.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 655
I Actually I was wondering about weather or not it would be possible to put two LNBFs on a 6ft prime focus dish.
yes it has been done :)

99 & 91 on one dish
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/147673-2-c-band-lnbs-6-foot-dish.html

99 & 103 on one dish...this was done before 105 was lit up. SInce then this isnt feasible
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/92274-2-c-band-lnbs-one-6-dish.html

Or does C-band automatically require a Toroidal dish
toroidal dish is for multiple KU satellites on one dish. I have one of those too ;)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpe...ve-frontier-toroidal-t-90-satellite-dish.html

jay
I used one of those on my 90cm dish. I had one of the Glorystar dual LNB setups which allowed me to get 93/97 and then I used 2 of those setups to add 89W and 103W

The advantage of Azteca & ABCNews is they are very strong signals so you may want to try 97W first then add a LNB for 93W.

see pics
What? No WOOD??? ...No HOSECLAMPS????? :eek:...C'mon Ice, show him the GOOD pictures! :D:up

He's seen the other pics....that one is actually one of the better setups I had at one time :)
and no hoseclamps, wood or duct tape

jay

see pics
I had 97.0 west in mind for my center signal
The more I think about it I believe that 89,93,97,103 is the perfect scenario for a multi-LNB setup .

103 was for Pentagon channel
I prefer :music:
BTW WCPE is an FTA friendly radio station that promotes the hobby.

WCPE Statement on their web page
Anyone, anywhere, from an individual with the appropriate equipment to the largest programming distributor. Our classical music is available without charge and is NOT scrambled! It's our mission to make Great Classical Music available to the world, 24 hours a day.

You can even rebroadcast their radio programming free of charge after signing consent form.

WCPE's Ku-Band signal is on the AMC-1 Satellite, 103° West, Transponder 12K, vertical polarization.

The digital tuning information is: Downlink 11942 MHz; IF 1192 MHz; FEC 3/4; Symbol Rate 20 ms/s; Audio PID 5417 decimal, or 1529 hex; ch 81. ................................. I prefer 11942 V 20.000

Here's one a did a long time ago. I liked having a Circular lnb but missed the few things at the time I was watching that needed a universal lnb. So I took my QPH-031 off and rigged this up.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/94212-1st-spring-project-completed-write-up-got-kind-long.html
*edit this might make eurosport happy, it's got wood and some extruded foam but no hoseclamps. *edit

I was new and didn't really grasp disecq 1.2 at the time, but icebergs comment helped me realize now useful it can be over USALs

This reminds me, I was going to post pics of my 1.2m setup I aquired last week and finally go up and going.

Last edited:
I had 97.0 west in mind for my center signal
The more I think about it I believe that 89,93,97,103 is the perfect scenario for a multi-LNB setup .

My multi-LNB setups can be seen below in my signature. On my 87,97,103, 110 dish I use to have 89 (instead of 87). Definitely go with 97 as the centre LNB, it has the most channels and transponders and you will want them at peak strength, whereas the channels you want on 89 and 93 are very strong so can easily handle what loss there will be by being off-centre. While trying to get satellites 4 degrees apart can be a bit of a pain sometimes on a 80cm (I usually try to avoid it) the 90cm will give a bit more spacing, but you might have to use the bullet LNBs (especially since you are doing 3 satellites in a row at 4 degrees).

I'm thinking of a 3 lnb setup for sports feeds, 74W, 91W, and 105W . Do you think they'll be obtainable on a 36" dish? Seems to me that maybe even 60 degrees of arc might be obtainable. Signal strength on the off lnbs is probably the issue. I COULD use a 1M dish , if the 36" is too small.
:)

I'm thinking of a 3 lnb setup for sports feeds, 74W, 91W, and 105W . Do you think they'll be obtainable on a 36" dish? Seems to me that maybe even 60 degrees of arc might be obtainable. Signal strength on the off lnbs is probably the issue. I COULD use a 1M dish , if the 36" is too small.

Too far apart for all three, 6 to 8 degrees off-centre is usually optimal, sometimes more depending on the satellite (or size of the dish). You could do any of the two above (74-91 or 91-105) by splitting the difference with both LNBs off-centre. Even then, depending on the strength of the satellite in your area, you may experience too much signal loss to be viable.

unless you have a Toroidal, thats really the only way. T90 dishes can see 40 degrees so 74,91,105 would be easily obtainable. I use to have
72,74,79,85,91,97,101,105 + a couple more on my T90

Thanks guys, it's sad news, I think. I think what I'll do is fab a bracket, rig it up as winter allows on my 1.2M , which I'll park on 91W temporarily , and then try to dial in 74W and 105W in the outlying positions . The 1.2M is motorized , so I won't lose any function while I try out the concept. Maybe the big dish will do the trick. It that doesn't work , I think 91, 99, 105 should be doable, and I'll settle for that.
Thanks again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts