Multi-Sport Package Question...

fhsucade07

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Two questions about this package:

First, has DISH stated anywhere whether or not the Big Ten Network will be a part of this package once we enter the new year? I had previously read on this forum (and over on the DISH website) that it would be available to people with AT100+ that lived in a Big Ten state after the new year. Does this mean it can be purchased through the Multi-Sport pack once that occurs?

Second, I know that just about all of the MLB replays are blacked out from the Multi-Sport Package. However, I overheard a conversation that indicates that the Orioles replays can regularly be seen on MASN without blackout problems. The same person indicates that he has, on occasion, saw a Nationals replay without blackout. Other than that, he claims all other MLB teams to be blacked out (which I know is likely true). If I move out of the Charlotte area and back home, will I be able to see the Orioles and Nationals still through MASN? Wondering if anybody has any experience with this or can verify...

Two questions about this package:

First, has DISH stated anywhere whether or not the Big Ten Network will be a part of this package once we enter the new year? I had previously read on this forum (and over on the DISH website) that it would be available to people with AT100+ that lived in a Big Ten state after the new year. Does this mean it can be purchased through the Multi-Sport pack once that occurs?

Second, I know that just about all of the MLB replays are blacked out from the Multi-Sport Package. However, I overheard a conversation that indicates that the Orioles replays can regularly be seen on MASN without blackout problems. The same person indicates that he has, on occasion, saw a Nationals replay without blackout. Other than that, he claims all other MLB teams to be blacked out (which I know is likely true). If I move out of the Charlotte area and back home, will I be able to see the Orioles and Nationals still through MASN? Wondering if anybody has any experience with this or can verify...

I'm also wondering if the Big 10 will be part of the Multi-Sport pack once this occurs. I'm thinking it probably will be but I'm not sure. If you moved to the Charlotte area and really enjoy the Nationals and Orioles, I think I'd hold onto that if I were you. It is true that some of the Orioles games come through as replays on MASN but I'm not sure how long you can expect this to last. Plus, MASN seems to lean a little more toward the Orioles so you probably wouldn't see many Nationals replays at all. Another thing you should consider (I'm not sure if you are a Braves fan, though), is that TBS will no longer be carrying Braves games (they'll just be carrying a Sunday game every now and then) and the only other place I can think of where you can move and keep access to the Braves (and get a couple of more teams) is around the Dothan, Alabama area where you'll also get the Marlins and Devil Rays. As I'm about to say about the Reds below, though, you'll probably need the package in order to get all of their games because the Dothan area, according to the DISH website, only gets FSN South and SportsSouth. You'll need the other two networks (Sun Sports and FSN Florida) for the Rays and Marlins.

The Multi-Sport pack is of some use because you don't receive FOX Sports Cincinnati and there is no way you'll be able to catch all of the Reds games on one of the alternate sports channels. By adding the Multi-Sports pack, you're pretty much ensuring you'll see all of the games broadcast by FSN Cincinnati.

I also like it because of the college football replays it seems to offer. I'm a PAC-10 football fan and, the only game I'll get (without it's on ESPN) is what they may show on the San Francisco ABC on NPS. (For example, last night it was USC and California). The networks often seem to offer replays of these games through the week.

Last year, I really became interested in college softball and the Arizona Wildcats team and you'll see a fair number of their games in the package for the Arizona station.

Another cool thing about the package that I noticed last year was that the baseball games were allowed three hours before the program guide showed the next program (usually that area's news). A fair number of games go over that time period (or it seemed to be that way last year) and I got to catch the ending of a lot of games where I wasn't in the area for the Marlins. I think this works the same way for about all of the teams, but I know that, in particular it worked that way for the Marlins (because I was watching for them).

I'm not really sure about the NHL replays but most of what is suggested around here makes me believe that you'll see most of the replays.

You didn't ask, but I'm also not really positive about the NBA. However, you will get the NBA Network with the package. It's my guess that, if they add a NHL Network in SD, it will probably be a part of this package. I think it's worth the extra $6 / month but what's worth $6 / month to me might not be to somebody else. But, for me, it was worth it just for catching the end of the Marlins games on many nights.

You'll catch some pro-wrestling (something I have PM'ed you about before) that is only shown on the regional network. No, I'm not talking about the crap they show on Sun Sports (WEW), but about other networks. I almost moved to Cincinnati one time (as I'm in the spotbeam) for Ohio Valley Wrestling but I finally realized most of it was on YouTube anyways.

Not sure if it means anything or not but if you go to the DISH Network website and specifically click the Multi-Sports package under the programming link, you'll see the Big 10 included. I'd recommend you go there and you'll see what all you can see. You'll notice a lot of the same programs on at different times (so you can time shift) and then some networks will show a replay that another might not. I forgot to mention that you will get the Canadian Football League and since you are a big Blue Jays and Maple Leafs fan, that might be of some interest to you (since you like a lot of Canadian teams).

You might have a good deal of men's college basketball blacked out, though, because of the package they offer for the college basketball. I'm not certain about this because I don't really follow basketball unless it's the Clippers on KTLA.

Thanks!

I already have KTLA and requested that it be added once I lost the Los Angeles networks back in December of last year. I'm not really crazy about basketball but I have watched a few Clippers games on the network. I primarily have it for WWE Smackdown, though, because the only "locals" I get are through AAD. My regular locals would be Atlanta anyways. Thanks for all of the information about the baseball running over. It seems as though most of the baseball games run over three hours so I guess I could catch the ending of a few games if I just channel surf at the right time. I'm not really sure how important the Braves are to me. Last year, before I moved, they were all I had and I rarely watched more than an inning or two. After getting MASN, though, I was stuck there every night watching the Orioles. Of course, I was always an Orioles fan. I did go ahead and order the package. Even though there are a lot of replays of some of the same programs, I can never get enough of the Top 50 Sports Blowups! Plus, I think I'll like it come April -- I'll just have to channel surf to catch some games ending. I hope it does include Big Ten Network next year, though, and if not, I'll probably move a little farther north (into Pennsylvania) where I can get the Big Ten Network in addition to the Orioles, etc. I'll also like all of the sports replays that I didn't get to catch originally and am looking to drop the AT200 for the AT100+ this December (when my annual subscription is due again). It seems as though all I do is watch sports programs anyways...

Cade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)