Multi-switch won't pass OTA

lrasta69

Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
I just installed my first 3 receiver customer and I can't get the Multi-switch to pass some of the OTA stations(NBC, FOX, CBS). With the switch out of the loop and running just 2 receivers I get all the OTA stations.

I am using the Sensar 11 to the diplexer to the switch to the diplexer(receiver).

Does anybody have any suggestions, Please???

lrasta69 said:
I just installed my first 3 receiver customer and I can't get the Multi-switch to pass some of the OTA stations(NBC, FOX, CBS). With the switch out of the loop and running just 2 receivers I get all the OTA stations.

I am using the Sensar 11 to the diplexer to the switch to the diplexer(receiver).

Does anybody have any suggestions, Please???
lrasta69, welcome to the forum!
Make sure the multi-switch passes DC voltage to the Sensar II's pre-amp.
The voltage is supplied by the STB via the diplexer (the same voltage that goes to the LNB).

multi-switches do NOT pass voltage.you have to put diplexors in line BEFORE the switch or it will not pass power.if you are using the multiswitch supplied by voom.. the one in the blue box..it will not work no matter what you do because it blocks the signal

Thanks for the info.

It was the switch in the blue box. My distributor (O'R :yes ouke) sent me the right switch from WINEGARD and it works like a champ.

Thanks again

lrasta69 said:
Thanks for the info.

It was the switch in the blue box. My distributor (O'R :yes ouke) sent me the right switch from WINEGARD and it works like a champ.

Thanks again
Great to hear that! Could you please post the model number (and ideally a picture) of the proper switch? This would help others in the future. Thanks!

You will need a WI3400 or WI3800. Your O'Rourke branch should be able to help with this.

I'm having my install done on 12/4, finally :)

I'm doing the 3 room deal, and noticed in the comfirmation email that there is a "customer-supplied" switch required, but it doesn't give me any details.

Can someone elaborate on that for me? :)

Lob

Lobstah said:
I'm having my install done on 12/4, finally :)

I'm doing the 3 room deal, and noticed in the comfirmation email that there is a "customer-supplied" switch required, but it doesn't give me any details.

Can someone elaborate on that for me? :)

Lob

Since Voom is a dbs circularly polarized lnb just like DirectTV with one satellite position, any DirecTV standard 3x4 or 3x8 multiswitch will work. They ase selling for about $20 delivered on eBay. They cost $40 at Lowes or $70 at Best Buy and Circuit City.

Lobstah, check with VOOM and your scheduled installer first. In most cases they will provide the multiswitch!
Also, depending on the type of OTA antenna you may need a switch that passes DC voltage to the antenna connection for the built-in pre-amp.

Ok...I'll check with Installs, Inc.

Thanks for the heads up. Seems kind of dumb that they'd put the responsibility for that ONE piece on the consumer...

Lob

why do some get multiswitches provided and some do not? voom will be here tommorow and if i knew that i would need to provide i would have bought one off ebay. i'm sure the installer will have one but it will probably be 2 or 3 times the price. everyone should be treated the same!

Again, I don't think you will be charged for that. Let us know.

A good multi-switch which also passes the DC voltage needed for an amplified OTA are the Terk BMS34 and BMS58. They aslo have great diplexers BDSP1. Both easy to find locally and on the Internet also.

installation details

my installation went okay. they were a little late...underestimated the drive time. i live in central illinois and they had problems finding someone in the area for the install. i was informed that the installer would be training people, which was okay with me, two heads are better than one. in this case it was nine heads. all the trainees showed up about an hour before the trainer. they got started around noon(was supposed to be a morning installation) and finally wrapped it up around 6pm. what a day...i might add that i missed work that day, but that is okay since my job sucks anyway(coal miner). not much problem with the satellite part but the wineguard antenna did not work at all for the ota stations. the trainer put up an 8 bow tie antenna rigged on a satellite mast on the back side of the satellite mast. he said this was only temporary...it was getting dark! i only picked 2 of the 10 ota stations...sometime i will get 2 pbs stations for a total of 4. the signal strength on the satellite was in the mid 90's til sunday when the rains came. it has been between 60 and 80 since...with picture loss and lock up. i called voom and updated them on the problems, they were helpful but that does'nt solve problems. monday is the day that i scheduled the permanant antenna installation so i suggested to them that maybe they could also put up a bigger dish to fix the rain fade issue(kill 2 birds with one stone). they informed me they couldn't get the equipment here by then so i set up another appointment for the 14th to put up the upgraded dish. they seem to spend alot of money with installation process!! i think the temporary antenna installation has moved the satellite postion and has caused my signal loss. the rain has caused problems too. on the upside i love the pq and the programming is good(could be better). the concert station(rave) is awesome. i hope they get their s*** together cause i want this system to work. also ilya...the multiswitch was provided. sorry for the long and late post...but my dell computer crashed on the 19th, they sent me a new one after 4 harddrives in the old one. it arrived yesterday. i will update after next service call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts