Multi-switch???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thedirtmerchant

Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
OK, I have a GE Smartcenter in my new home. Basically a central point to connect all DSS/Phone/Internet. If you connect the satellite to the box, the wires are pre-run and the outlets are all live. I have a dual tuner Tivo, but there is only one outlet for the satellite feed.

My questions:

Can I buy a multi-switch myself and just use it in my living room to split the signal and send it to the two tuners in the Tivo unit?

I hear the signal strength loss due to running through the multi-switch could be an issue...is this true?

If it is true, what do I need to not lose signal strength?

How much is a multi-switch?

I'm pretty sure you'd need a stacker / destacker to send all the programming through a single line.

A multiswitch wouldn't do it.

H

The multiswitch would need two inputs to work. You can't use it as a "splitter".

Your only option is to run a seperate line to the Tivo from the original multiswitch.

TIVO lines

Now you get the picture.You need two lines to run your tivo. One is for recording and one is for allowing viewing while recording. Your system will allow viewing on sat 1 line only but then why have a tivo?

Your home is wired for cable with one line to each TV outlet. DTV treats a tivo like ONE receiver (ird) but that second line has to be run to make the system work as designed . It also needs phone access. This makes people crazy. Running new wire inside a finished wall is expensive. Drilling walls and floors to run from the dish to the tivo does not always please homeowners.
HINTS: 1. If there is another TV outlet near your TIVO try back wiring it to your tivo. 2. If you do run a second rg6 pull a phone line at the same time. Tape them together. 3. Consider moving the tivo to make the wire requirement possible (easier).

Joe

As said in the second post, a stacker could be used to combine the odd and even transponders onto the one line to the TiVo location and then a destacker is used at that end to split them back. A multiswith is still needed. This equipment can cost about $300. For that, I'd find a way to run a second line.

Another option:

Put your tivo in the central closet, and use the one line running from the closet to your TV as the output feed. Even your phone lines will be there for you!

You'd just need a $30 remote extender.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)