Multiple Modems on ATT DSL?

gbs

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 12, 2005
Benton, Arkansas
I have not posted in this forum before and if this is not the right place I'm sure someone will let me know.

I have an ATT DSL line at home with a ATT Combination modem /wirless router with 4 ethernet ports. This unit is with my home theater system and my PS3, Yammy 2700 and Dish VIP 622 are connected via patch cables. The wireless is for my notebook computer and the kid's computers when they are home. I also have my wife's desktop connected with a wireless USB plug-in device which is OK most of the time.

Is is possible to add a second DSL modem on the same DSL line and have the desktop connected with patch cable instead of the wireless device?

I have not posted in this forum before and if this is not the right place I'm sure someone will let me know.

I have an ATT DSL line at home with a ATT Combination modem /wirless router with 4 ethernet ports. This unit is with my home theater system and my PS3, Yammy 2700 and Dish VIP 622 are connected via patch cables. The wireless is for my notebook computer and the kid's computers when they are home. I also have my wife's desktop connected with a wireless USB plug-in device which is OK most of the time.

Is is possible to add a second DSL modem on the same DSL line and have the desktop connected with patch cable instead of the wireless device?

Best thing to do is run a cat 5 cable to the other desktop.

I know that the Cat 5 run is the most logical solution. I was trying to avoid getting in the attic. I'll have to get one of my kid's up there. I'm to old and fat to be crawling around up there anymore.

a little out of my "main line" of work, but i dont believe thats possible. i think another modem would require another line. with 2 modems, it would make sense that there would be too much noise on the line?

No, you can't have a second modem on the same line, but you can add a network hub, switch or another router if you need more ethernet connections.

There are all sorts of tutorial on the net for setting up an old router in router mode not gateway mode and such. plus plenty of help for even new routers. I probably have the same modem as you and I disabled the wireless and DHCP functions on it in favor of my N router with DD-WRT firmware on it to give me more control over my network.

any problems send me a PM and I will steer you to the correct websites for directions. Please include your all your harware ie modem, switches, routers, repeaters etc. and your exact goal. I will be traveling for the next few days so I may be a lil slow in responding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts