Multiple receivers with single LNB?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikeineburg

Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
North Central Maryland
Although I'm very familiar with DirecTV/Dish equipment, C-band is fairly foreign. I'm providing some volunteer work for a religious community (in a 100-television complex) that has received EWTN via C-band for years. EWTN is discontinuing their analog feed and moving to digital. Our goal is to use two satellite receivers - one to demodulate to baseband that we'll reconnect to our existing channel 21 analog modulator. The second we'd like to transcode to QAM and combine in for the growing population of digital televisions throughout the complex. The question here is: I have a BUD with single LNB. The demod to analog receiver has a satellite passthru (in and out). Assuming that both receivers will use the same transponder, can I simply pass the satellite signal into receiver A, and out to receiver B? Which receiver should power the LNB? Or should I get a small satellite splitter? I'm WAY open to advice. Thanks!

The way I have my setup might work for you also, I have a Dual C band LNB on my 10 foot dish that I have four 920's hooked up to it by using a Zinwell WB68 switch which allows me 4 different TV channels. The only way that I could get everything to work correct with my setup was to have the 920's dish setup set to LNBF type, might not be and issue for you not knowing the receiver type.

>> pass the satellite signal into receiver A, and out to receiver B? <<. YES. The receiver connected to the 'loop out' can tune any transponder on the same polarity that's selected by the receiver connected to the LNBF.
Since you're only doing one channel, think what you propose could be accomplished with one receiver. Composite [baseband] out to analog modulator. Component out to QAM modulator.

The question here is: I have a BUD with single LNB. The demod to analog receiver has a satellite passthru (in and out). Assuming that both receivers will use the same transponder, can I simply pass the satellite signal into receiver A, and out to receiver B? Which receiver should power the LNB? Or should I get a small satellite splitter? I'm WAY open to advice. Thanks!
you can use a satellite grade (up to 2200mhz) splitter too.

Thanks for the replies. The thought about single receiver solution is good - however the initial receiver ordered has only composite output. I think that I'd prefer transcoding the original MPEG-2 digital signal - keeping it digital from broadcaster to TV. One colleague suggested just doing the digital onto my cable plant then getting a QAM digital demodulator and stripping the signal from my own network to feed analog modulator. That way I'm still only using one satellite receiver. Either way, commercial grade equipment cost is going to land between $1-2K. As is always the case, they have no budget so we're trying to find that balance between cost and performance/reliability.
Cheers!

SatelliteAV (sponsor) here sells commercial equipment and does help with installs
They have a commercial grade rack mount unit for $160
Satellite AV, LLC - Satellite Broadcaster Support and Equipment Distribution

I suggest speaking with Brian (satelliteAV) about what you want to accomplish. I'm sure he'd be happy to help get ya the right equipment or at least knowledge on how to set this up without breaking the bank

SatelliteAV (sponsor) here sells commercial equipment and does help with installs
They have a commercial grade rack mount unit for $160
Satellite AV, LLC - Satellite Broadcaster Support and Equipment Distribution (actual hyerlink removed so I could post)

I suggest speaking with Brian (satelliteAV) about what you want to accomplish. I'm sure he'd be happy to help get ya the right equipment or at least knowledge on how to set this up without breaking the bank

As it happens, that is what and from whom we've purchased the first receiver - simply because they're a sponsor here! It's the digital stuff that has a much higher ticket price.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts