Multiple remotes paired to one Joey or Hopper?

rickyinman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
TN
I have connected a 2nd TV to one of my Hoppers in another room. I would like to have another remote for the other TV. Can I pair a 2nd remote to the Hopper?

Thanks

Each Hopper/Joey here has 2 remotes each: 1 40.0 RF and 1 21.0/20.0 IR counterpart. I have another spare 40.0 that I can pair to any of the receivers while still having use of any of their other remotes.

Long story short: Yes.

If you want additional Hopper/Joey UHF remotes, they must be either 32.0 or 40.0, the latter running as low as $7 a piece shipped on ebay at the moment.

I have eight remotes paired to one of my Hoppers due to his/her and several TVs that are mirrored to that Hopper. The limit is eight and I wish it was higher. I need just one more so I also use a 20.0 remote with this Hopper.

What's the range for a 2nd 40.0 remote? Will it go as far as a UHF? Anybody use one in a different room and it works good?

In my house the Hopper's remote range is a little better than the UHF remotes. One of my Hoppers I was having a little issue trying to work the Hopper from the garage. So I installed an additional cable (P/N 169178) to change the remote antenna location higher up and away from the TV. The remote range is a little better but I wish I could find a powered amp for it to give the range a real good boost.

Not for a hopper or joey, they need the 40 remote. And you don't change the address, you pair them up or removed them. I have 3 remotes on one Joey, one on the other joey and one on the hopper. Works fine. The 40 remotes were dirt cheap.

How do you change the remote address??? for a 20.0 IR and a 21.1 IR/UHF PRO???

Hoppers and Joeys will only work with 20.0 and 21.0 in the IR mode with the address set to #1. The 21.0 has to be configured in the IR mode. UHF does not work with the Hopper/Joey system, so the remote will have to be pointed at the Hopper or Joey.

If you are going to use a 21.0 remote make sure your tab at the bottom of the remote is green #1 and configured in the IR mode. If required take off the battery cover and change the tab to #1. Also check or change the UHF/IR switch to IR, reinstall the battery cover.

Following is procedure to change 20.0 and 21.0 (IR mode) remote’s IR address to #1. Press and hold SAT until all the mode buttons lite up and then release the button. Use the number pad and enter the number 1. Press pound (#), Sat button will flash three times. Then press the record button to save the address to #1.

If the remote does not work you need to make sure the Hopper and/or Joey is in the IR mode. With a 40.0 remote press Menu, select Settings, Remote Manager, and then select IR. The Universal Remote (IR) widow will pop open. Click on Enable and then Save and then Save again to back out of Remote Manager.

You will have to program your 20.0 or 21.0 remote control the old way for your TV, DVD, and Aux.

2 questions: How do I add the 21.0 remote to work w/ my hopper? If I use the 21.0 in the room w/ the hopper(main tv) and use the 40.0 w/ a mirrored tv. What functionality do I lose by using the 21.0 w/ the main TV?

2 questions: How do I add the 21.0 remote to work w/ my hopper? If I use the 21.0 in the room w/ the hopper(main tv) and use the 40.0 w/ a mirrored tv. What functionality do I lose by using the 21.0 w/ the main TV?

The Hopper is already setup (built-in) for IR address #1 and there is no way to change it that I know of. With the 20.0 and 21.0 remotes for Hoppers/Joeys the Backup Wizard will not work, most of the things in Remote Manager will not work, and in the System Info screen the remote will not be listed. I haven’t come across anything else yet that does not work with the 20/21.0 remotes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)