Multiple TV options

swosucowboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
We are about to start a new home construction and wanting to get things figured out. We have about 3 main rooms we will watch tv but would like to have the option of having tv in several rooms. I have a HDMI splitter I bought off monoprice. I know dish used to mirror rooms also. Any new changes or are these still my best options? I do not want to pay a bunch of extra receiver fees for tvs we barely watch. Thanks

swosucowboy said:
We are about to start a new home construction and wanting to get things figured out. We have about 3 main rooms we will watch tv but would like to have the option of having tv in several rooms. I have a HDMI splitter I bought off monoprice. I know dish used to mirror rooms also. Any new changes or are these still my best options? I do not want to pay a bunch of extra receiver fees for tvs we barely watch. Thanks

A lot depends on your viewing habits, do you want HD at every TV? How many TV watchers are there in the home? Do you need to be able to watch different programs in each room etc.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

As far as viewers, no more than 3 tvs at once and more than likely just 2. Would prefer HD, but does not have to be. I would like to put one in bathroom and kitchen and those would not have to be.

Probably the best "future proof" answer is to put a good size conduit wherever you may want TV so you can run whatever cable you need in the future.

If attempting to run whatever cable you may need now, then I would probably run at least one, maybe two 3Ghz rated RG6 runs, and three cat6 runs to each location. The three cat6 6 runs would allow putting ethernet (1 cable) and HDMI over Cat6 (two cables for most products) at each location. You will need two RG6 runs anywhere you may want a sat receiver and either a modulator back feed or OTA. If you want OTA and a modulator backfeed then three RG6 would be needed.

Have all the cables be home runs back to a central distribution point - no splitters.

Probably the best "future proof" answer is to put a good size conduit wherever you may want TV so you can run whatever cable you need in the future.

If attempting to run whatever cable you may need now, then I would probably run at least one, maybe two 3Ghz rated RG6 runs, and three cat6 runs to each location. The three cat6 6 runs would allow putting ethernet (1 cable) and HDMI over Cat6 (two cables for most products) at each location. You will need two RG6 runs anywhere you may want a sat receiver and either a modulator back feed or OTA. If you want OTA and a modulator backfeed then three RG6 would be needed.

Have all the cables be home runs back to a central distribution point - no splitters.

This is right on.

Ditto. This is all considered "low voltage" wiring and is easiest to do while building a house. The other things to consider running wire for are: whole house audio (we use it all the time), security cameras (my wife thought I was nuts with this one but now can't live without them), and a full blown home automation system such as Control4 (relatively expensive, I still haven't installed one but I am wired for it). Very often this wiring is done by the electrician, but I'd look into having a company that specializes in low voltage doing the job. That's what I did and it was worth every penny.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)