multiple TV's on one receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sirdoo

Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
SC
I also want to connect 3 TVs to one receiver. I already have 3 receivers in the house and I am adding one to a pool house. I just want to have 2 or 3 TVs in the pool house but only one receiver. I'm okay that they are all viewing the same channel. Just not sure how to hook the three TVs to the receiver (standard receiver, not HD).

Well since you don't tell us where you're at, are you aware that in some DMA's, DirecTV now ONLY installs HD receivers?
In these markets, the locals are ONLY available with MPEG4 receivers - which means you'll either get HR2x receivers for DVR's, or H2x receivers for non-DVR boxes.
And no, NONE of the HD receivers has RF outs, so you'll need to buy an RF mod to do what you want to do.

If you have HD equipment, you can take RCA composite (Red/White/Yellow) out to a RF Modulator then run RG6 coax cable to a 3 way splitter then run RG6 coax cable to each of the other TV's.

If you have SD equipment, you can take RG6 coax cable out to a 3 way splitter then run RG6 coax cable to each of the other TV's.

Either way all 3 TV's will have to watch the same programming from that receiver.

You will probably have to add a 10dB signal amp after the RF modulator. I have a similar setup in my house i.e. 1 SD DVR in the basement feeding the whole house to the old cableTV system via RF modulator Signal amps and signal combiners for the OTA antenna since I get 3 different markets from my location (TVs have digital tuners attached).
Basically use the S-Video out + L&R sound to a RF modulator, then the RF to any old RG6 to antenna inputs of old fashioned TV tuner (NTSC channel 3 or 4) won't work for ATSC only tuner TV.
Otherwise you got to spend $$$ on either HD wiring (HDMI or such) with expensive splitters/amps to each tv or a separate receiver (probably cheaper in long run) for each tv.

Did that explain life and the universe?:D

For those of you in need of an rf modulator, you probably already have one in your closet, a vcr. Just connect the red, white, and yellow outputs of the Directv box to the inputs on the vcr. Check that the input of the vcr is set to "line in" or something similar. Then connect the coax of the vcr to the tv. Make sure to have both the vcr and tv on either channel three or four, whichever one isn't in your area.

I forgot that the real reason I got my first VCR was for the tuner to use in PIP.

For those of you in need of an rf modulator, you probably already have one in your closet, a vcr. Just connect the red, white, and yellow outputs of the Directv box to the inputs on the vcr. Check that the input of the vcr is set to "line in" or something similar. Then connect the coax of the vcr to the tv. Make sure to have both the vcr and tv on either channel three or four, whichever one isn't in your area.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Format

combine HD sat with comcast cable feed question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)