Multiple Wireless Access Points (WAPs)

travispete

Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
Sacramento
I have two wireless joeys in different parts of the house and we tried moving the WAP but are still getting intermittent signal issues. Is it possible to get a second WAP and with an ethernet run move each closer to the wireless joey?

I know there are 2 ethernet ports on the back of the Joey, so I assume its possible, but then how would I get internet to the Joey? Thanks.

I have two wireless joeys in different parts of the house and we tried moving the WAP but are still getting intermittent signal issues. Is it possible to get a second WAP and with an ethernet run move each closer to the wireless joey?

I know there are 2 ethernet ports on the back of the Joey, so I assume its possible, but then how would I get internet to the Joey? Thanks.
It's possible. There are other ways to use a 2nd WAP, but hat works just as well

Reactions: charlesrshell
yep you can do that. i have my j3 hooked up an ethernet jack on my wap to provide internet on my h3 and other joey. works great. i do it this way because its easier to disconnect the internet via ethernet than it is with wifi on the hopper.

i would highly recommend a mesh wifi setup so you have 1 ssid and pw throughout with seamless roaming. ive been using the tp link deco m5 for a few months and its been amazing so far. it eliminates dead spots & weak signal areas. it is 2.4ghz and 5ghz. you can control it from your phone also.

Reactions: TheKrell

It's possible. There are other ways to use a 2nd WAP, but hat works just as well
What's possible? Two WAPs or hardwiring wireless Joey's? (I think both are possible.)
yep you can do that. i have my j3 hooked up an ethernet jack on my wap to provide internet on my h3 and other joey. works great. i do it this way because its easier to disconnect the internet via ethernet than it is with wifi on the hopper.

i would highly recommend a mesh wifi setup so you have 1 ssid and pw throughout with seamless roaming. ive been using the tp link deco m5 for a few months and its been amazing so far. it eliminates dead spots & weak signal areas. it is 2.4ghz and 5ghz. you can control it from your phone also.
The mesh network is what I used to fix dead spots in my house. I went with the Orbi because it could use a wired backhaul. But I'm wondering what you are suggesting here as well. Can you run a wireless Joey on your own wireless routers, i.e. is the WAP optional?

I use a combination of the Dishnet MOCA adapters and ethernet over powelines.
I had a seriously bad time with a TP-Link powerline adapter. It advertised up to 1Gbps speed. We got about 10M from one bedroom across the hall to another! I sent them back. :mad:

I also recommend mesh. Now. I cheaped out and when my Uniquiti quit, I got a cheap dual band TP-link. Miserable. Very short range. Maybe 20’ for reliable 5GHz. Even the 2.4 is rather short range, but it’s used mainly for the Tesla.

Eventually, when I get time, I’ll try the incantations on the Ubi again. And if that doesn’t work, bite the bullet for a mesh.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I bought a "factory reconditioned" Orbi RBK50 (one main, one satellite) from Woot and I have been very happy. 2-Pack Orbi Mesh WiFi System | Shop Now from NETGEAR Woot is sold out at the moment. But IIRC it was $175 for the pair. I see Walmart has them new for $240.
I also have the Orbi RBK50 1+1 like you. I paid closer to $300 for mine, new. But I had a gift card and I also got a Netgear 4 port Gigabit switch FREE. Which I needed for extra Ethernet connections on the router side of the mesh in my home office.

I had tried all kinds of other options prior to that. WiFi extenders, network over power lines, bigger and more powerful WAP's etc. My last ditch effort to get reliable WiFi should have been my first choice. I bought the Netgear Orbi meshnet, had it installed in about thirty minutes and now I never think about about WiFi again. It just works. No dead spots, no dropouts, no buffering.

I also have the Orbi RBK50 1+1 like you. I paid closer to $300 for mine, new. But I had a gift card and I also got a Netgear 4 port Gigabit switch FREE. Which I needed for extra Ethernet connections on the router side of the mesh in my home office.

I had tried all kinds of other options prior to that. WiFi extenders, network over power lines, bigger and more powerful WAP's etc. My last ditch effort to get reliable WiFi should have been my first choice. I bought the Netgear Orbi meshnet, had it installed in about thirty minutes and now I never think about about WiFi again. It just works. No dead spots, no dropouts, no buffering.
I also have this system, and like Krell and you have said, it just works, and works well.

I also have this system, and like Krell and you have said, it just works, and works well.
I have Orbi mesh too. Got main router in my great room with 16 port switch and satellite cat5 wired in my garage to reach outside camera and my WiFi pellet grill. Works outstanding. Mesh is the way to go instead of extenders IMO.

Reactions: TheKrell
I will slightly hijack this thread, but hopefully it is part of the discussion. I have my H3 and 4K Joey connected via coax (moca). My H3 gets internet via the WiFi connection to my Apple Extreme router. I also have a fire stick out on the patio on the wall opposite the H3. WiFi signal from my Apple Extreme to the H3 is fine, but marginal to my fire stick. I know that I can connect a Cat 5 cable to one of the Ethernet jacks on the H3 (and the H3 shares the internet connection). I now have an Apple Express router wired to my H3, extending the WiFi (with a different ssid) to my fire stick.
I don’t have a need, but could I feed a second Apple Express from the other Ethernet jack? It almost appears that any of the Ethernet connections other than wifi can act as a ‘output’ sharing wherever the Hopper gets its internet connection.

As I don’t have a wireless Joey, does it only connect to a dish WAP? Or could it also connect to a 3rd party wifi signal?

I will slightly hijack this thread, but hopefully it is part of the discussion. I have my H3 and 4K Joey connected via coax (moca). My H3 gets internet via the WiFi connection to my Apple Extreme router. I also have a fire stick out on the patio on the wall opposite the H3. WiFi signal from my Apple Extreme to the H3 is fine, but marginal to my fire stick. I know that I can connect a Cat 5 cable to one of the Ethernet jacks on the H3 (and the H3 shares the internet connection). I now have an Apple Express router wired to my H3, extending the WiFi (with a different ssid) to my fire stick.
I don’t have a need, but could I feed a second Apple Express from the other Ethernet jack? It almost appears that any of the Ethernet connections other than wifi can act as a ‘output’ sharing wherever the Hopper gets its internet connection.

As I don’t have a wireless Joey, does it only connect to a dish WAP? Or could it also connect to a 3rd party wifi signal?
For your last question, as long as the Hopper is connected to the same Network as the Joey, it'll work

Well I finally had a chance to see if I could share my wifi signal into my H3 out to both cat 5 Ethernet jacks.
it does work, although the network status page reports a server failure on one of the two ports. But I was able to stream to my appleTV via top port, and have my Apple airport express acting as a wap to my fire stick outside, and my 4K Joey connected via moca (coax).

1AEFC184-1FDB-406E-857A-B113D98C9646.jpeg
E89D6713-83BF-49A9-B6A9-CC29728799F3.jpeg

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts