Multiswitch problem??

Iknowbob

Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Novice should've hired a pro.

Had 3 tivo's and 1 sat working on a Phase III dish (one line each receiver) ...with one HD ant feed straight into my HD-DVR. Decided to add a multiswitch so I could add the additional line to each tivo. Picked up the Terk BMS-58 and went to work. Connected the 4 lines coming from the dish to the terk and ran the 7 lines out (2 lines to the 3 tivo's and 1 to std receiver), ran the power to the switch....hooked the ant up to the switch and was ready to rock and roll.

Started by running the setups to change to 2 lines in on the HD-DVR and ran into this problem: SAT 1 IN....SAT A right side no detect, SAT B no detect, SAT C OK.. SAT 2 IN....SAT A right side no detect, SAT B no detect, SAT C OK. So what is the problem? I get good transponder readings on SAT A, B and C, so my guess is a bad multiswitch. With very limited knowledge on how this all works am I headed in the right direction or am I missing something very simple?

Bought a new multiswitch and changed it out this morning and now have SAT A OK on both SAT IN on the tivo's. At least my wife can watch TV now and get her off my A$$. My conclusions so far: I wired up the multiswitch without cutting the power to the receivers so I think that is when I fried it?? second: with the multiswitch not working properly it was giving me transpoder readings on SAT A, B and C. Now I am getting good readings on A, but nothing on B and C. After climbing up on the ladder this morning and looking at my line of site, tree trimming is needed. I wish the guy that installed the dish would have mounted 5ft to the left and avoided the trees.

Another couple things I learned is dont hook up the antenna feed to the 8x5 multiswitch if you dont have diplexers on the end of each line. (duh) The four leads coming out of the oval 3 dish do not care which way you hook them up to the terk BMS-58 in's.

If anyone has comments or thinks I am wrong or right I would definitely like to here from you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts