MultiSwitch Problem

John Petz

Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
I am trying to split a signal to 5 receivers in my house. One of the five is an expressvu HD receiver 6000 and the other 4 are the 3100 series receivers.

I purchased a Channel Vision c-1158 (SAT-HD58) 5X8 HDTV Amplified Multiswitch Link http://www.channelvision.com/specs/sat-hd58.pdf to be used with ExpressVu satellites 82 & 91. I purchased this online from a US company. Does anybody know if this unit works with ExpressVu, because the examples I get are for satellites 119 & 101.

I have a Dish 500 with a Quad LNB with 4 coax, 2 for satellite 91 and 2 for satellite 82). I assume each coax handles an odd and even transponder from each LNB. I removed the two SW22 switches at the dish and brought all 4 coax wires into the house. I took the 4 coax wires and connected one to each satellite input labelled LNB-A/14V, LNB-B/18V, LNB-C/14V and LNB-D/18V.

I am having difficulty receiving both satellites. I can get one or the other, but only when connected to LNB-A and LNB-B. C and D do not seem to work at all.

If I put one coax from 91 and the other for 82 in A & B. A switch test shows satellite 91 Odd and Satellite 82 Even. Again, I get no action out of C or D.

When I check the status of my switch, I get a message that says "No Switch Box Detected"

Help

John

The switch you purchase is a DirecTV switch. It will not work with ExpressVu, which is the Canadian equivalent of Dish Network.

You must use Dish Network specific switches.

We need more information on your receivers and whether if your quad is DishPro.

What you need is DP 34 Switch. Connect the 2 Right outputs of the quad to input of DP34 Leaves the other 2 connected to existing receivers.

Thanks guys.... My LNBs are DishNet. I have two LNBs on a LNB bracket. Each LNB has two coax coming from each. I also have two DishNet SW21 switches mounted on the dish bracket. A coax from Sat 91 and one from 82 (Expressvu) connect to each switch.

I just ordered two DP-34 switches from ebay. I am going to gang them together. I assume DP-34 is good for HDTV.

Please lead me through the installation. I am a novice. Do I take the SW21 switches out or leave them in? What coax cables from the which LNBs or SW21 switches go to what ports on the dp-34.

This forum is great. I actually feel like I'm getting somewhere.

Thanks for the help.

JP

Sounds like your new sw is for DTV. You have legacy LNB's if you used SW21's. Don't use a dish pro switch. It won't work. You need dishpro LNB's to use a dishpro switch. Use a legacy switch like a sw44 or a sw64.

One other thing, the legacy switches I mentioned can only feed 4 recievers. If you have 5 then you will need the 2 dp-34's but will have to change your LNB's to dish pro. I have not heard of a legacy dish sw that can handle more than 4 feeds, That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I just haven't seen or heard of one. Cheapest thing you can do now is buy 2 dish pro LNB's

Since you are using a DP34, you will need a DishPro twin or quad lnb. With two satellite positions nine degrees apart, you can hook up two of the outputs from the DishPro twin or quad to inputs #1 & 2 of the DP34 that says to satellites. The bottom four outputs go to four receivers. If you use a DishPro quad, you can hook up to two more receivers directly to the quad.

If you need only five receiver outlets and don't intend to add a six, you can use a DP21. Just hook the two satellite inputs of the DP21 to the right #1 and 2 ports that says additional switch on the DP34. Then, you hook up the third port of the DP21 to the fifth reciver.

I'd use the DishPro twin, the DP34 and the DP21. There is a glut of DishPro twins around on eBay for cheap. The same is true with the DP21. It is a seldom used switch, since it requires a not so cheap DishPro single and a special one port power passing splitter. Even a lot of dealers and professional installers do not know that the DP21 and provide a fifth dual satellite port on a DP34. The DishPro quad, however, is not so cheap.

Since you will not likely ever need a third "wing satellite" position, the DP34, DishPro twin and DP21 is your best bet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)