MultiSwitch Setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

armadillo_115

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Virginia
Ordered a Zinwell Sam 6802 6x8 Multi-Switch for my C Band Dishes. (Know I can't use the flexports, so basically a 4x8 Switch)

Quick question:
Is it ok to run that multi-switch with only ONE Dual output lnbf hooked up? Other inputs will not be connected to anything at this time.

I only have one dual output lnbf functioning at this time. I plan to (first) test the switch mounted at the BUD .... approx 180 feet from the receivers. I don't know if a passive multi-switch will work at that distance. I want to test it there before deciding what is needed next.

The plan is to eventually have 2 Duals feeding 3 receivers. I have about given up on finding a quality C Band quad lnbf to use with my existing Diseqc switches.

Thanks for any Info!

Ordered a Zinwell Sam 6802 6x8 Multi-Switch for my C Band Dishes. (Know I can't use the flexports, so basically a 4x8 Switch)

Quick question:
Is it ok to run that multi-switch with only ONE Dual output lnbf hooked up? Other inputs will not be connected to anything at this time.
That should work ok. I had a Titanium C2PLL connected to a 6x8 mounted close to the dish on a long run without issue.

Reactions: armadillo_115
I have a Zinwell WB-68 6x8 Multi-Switch (WB=Wide Band)
label has:
Wide-band 6x8 Multi-Sw
Part#:WB68
Ka/Ku bands
250-750 MHz
950-1450 MHz
1650-2150 MHz
Lot:70901 DirecTV-approved part

I use it with Norsat 3220 lnb's on the non-KHz side for C-band
and with Norsat 4106a lnb's on the 22KHz side for Ku-band
also use a Pico-Macom SPI-14/18-2150 power inserter to get 18 volts to both H & V on the lnb's
other switches used
6 @ JVI Trunkline powered 4x8 multi-switch
7 @ GEOSAT pro 8x1 DiSEqC 1.1 Switch
feeding 5 enigma2 receivers and 2 computer cards

I have my switches in the wellhouse, the dish (lnb's) are about (up to) 40' from the well, the well is about 85' from the house, once the wiring reaches the house they have anywhere from 30' to 65' to reach a receiver/tuner card
Although I use both sides of the KHz (on & off) with my WB-68 switch
I do use one of my powered multi-switches with only the powered (22KHz on) in use
and another powered multi-switch currently with the non-powered (22KHz off) in use

As for answering your distance question, I don't think it will be a problem
If it is, I would consider using a power inserter like I use
That being said, if I remember right, I started using a power inserter because at times the vertical side would be to weak to get
Once I started using the power inserter, the occasional problem disappeared
I suspect if you do have a problem, it will be on the vertical side?
I'm saying the vertical side, but your receiver will send 18 volts to either the horizontal or the vertical, and 14 volts to the other one
I'm thinking the horizontal gets the 18 volts, but I may have my thinking backwards, if I do then the horizontal would be the problem side
Either way, I really think it/you will be OK. If not I'm sure a power inserter will fix it.
GOOD LUCK ...!!

Al

Guys, Is this normal?
Multi-switch connected to the dual-output on one dish.
Changing channels on one receiver causes whatever channel is playing on the other receiver to freeze 2 or 3 seconds?

The freezes don't worry me. Just want to be sure it isn't something that could damage my system.

I have a Zinwell WB-68 6x8 Multi-Switch (WB=Wide Band)
label has:
Wide-band 6x8 Multi-Sw
Part#:WB68
Ka/Ku bands
250-750 MHz
950-1450 MHz
1650-2150 MHz
Lot:70901 DirecTV-approved part

I use it with Norsat 3220 lnb's on the non-KHz side for C-band
and with Norsat 4106a lnb's on the 22KHz side for Ku-band
also use a Pico-Macom SPI-14/18-2150 power inserter to get 18 volts to both H & V on the lnb's
other switches used
6 @ JVI Trunkline powered 4x8 multi-switch
7 @ GEOSAT pro 8x1 DiSEqC 1.1 Switch
feeding 5 enigma2 receivers and 2 computer cards

I have my switches in the wellhouse, the dish (lnb's) are about (up to) 40' from the well, the well is about 85' from the house, once the wiring reaches the house they have anywhere from 30' to 65' to reach a receiver/tuner card
Although I use both sides of the KHz (on & off) with my WB-68 switch
I do use one of my powered multi-switches with only the powered (22KHz on) in use
and another powered multi-switch currently with the non-powered (22KHz off) in use

As for answering your distance question, I don't think it will be a problem
If it is, I would consider using a power inserter like I use
That being said, if I remember right, I started using a power inserter because at times the vertical side would be to weak to get
Once I started using the power inserter, the occasional problem disappeared
I suspect if you do have a problem, it will be on the vertical side?
I'm saying the vertical side, but your receiver will send 18 volts to either the horizontal or the vertical, and 14 volts to the other one
I'm thinking the horizontal gets the 18 volts, but I may have my thinking backwards, if I do then the horizontal would be the problem side
Either way, I really think it/you will be OK. If not I'm sure a power inserter will fix it.
GOOD LUCK ...!!

Al
Any Ka finds?

It is not normal, with my setups. I have been thinking about this since Thursday, trying to remember where I ran into this before and what caused it.

I had this problem with a powered switch modified Pendragon style. Turned out to be because I had the two satellite receivers hooked to a single tv set, which somehow has leakage current through the HDMI ports.

The stray voltage permanently damaged one side of the outputs on my Titanium wideband C-band lnbf.

I had this problem with a powered switch modified Pendragon style. Turned out to be because I had the two satellite receivers hooked to a single tv set, which somehow has leakage current through the HDMI ports.

The stray voltage permanently damaged one side of the outputs on my Titanium wideband C-band lnbf.
Another fine example of the stellar engineering of HDMI,not.

I'm wondering if it might be a voltage/grounding problem between two different circuits in my house. The den circuit is a GFIC and has given me problems in the past.

I plan to drag in a drop cord and do some testing.
Have to wait until Monday when wife is at work. Will only run 1 receiver at a time for now.

Reactions: FTA4PA
After further testing:
The glitches do not occur on the other receiver unless the 1st receiver changes polarity.
For instance: I can change to any H transponder without a glitch. But as soon as I change to a V transponder, it will temporary loose signal on the other receiver. Once signal stabilizes, I can then change to any V transponder with no glitches. Until I change back to H. etc, etc
This happens on both receivers.
Rebooting a receiver causes an exceptionally long glitch on the other receiver.

Tried so far with no improvement:
Used a receptacle tester. All receptacles wired correctly.
Plugged in both setups on same circuit. (short extension cord)
Plugged in both setups on same receptacle. (long extension cord)
Unplugged Diseqc boxes, antenna rotor, removed OTA coax and amp.

Still to test in future:
1) Different power strips/ no power strips.
2) Temporarily bypass grounding block entirely.
3) Test with different tv. Maybe hdmi prob?
4) Test with ground removed from multiswitch.
*5)Replace grounding block. (1 of the 4 connections ruined in last lightning strike. Maybe other connections leaking?)
*6) Dish ground NOT bounded to house ground. See if common bond fixes it.

* #5 and #6 have been on to-do list regardless.

One other thing that might be significant:
The bedroom tv ONLY goes to the dish with the dual lnbf.
The den tv now has a 1x2 diseqc switch that allows it to switch between either dish. BOTH receivers have to be on the dual lnbf to have the problem. ( Maybe that rules out some areas of conflict? IDK)

Anyone have any other thoughts or other ideas?

I'm done for the day.

Anyone have any other thoughts or other ideas?

I'm done for the day.

I assume you didn't have any problems before you connected the Zinwell Sam 6802 6x8 Multi-Switch?

I also assume you put the Zinwell at the dish (at least that was your intention).

If so, can you connect the Zinwell closer to your receivers?

And finally, what are the brands of your two receivers?

Yes, replace your dual lnbf, and see if another one does the same thing. You do have spares, correct?
No spare dual lnbf at this time. Lightning took out 2 C2-Pll's and a C1-Pll previously. This is a brand new C2-PLL. Was hoping to get it working with one before ordering another.

If so, can you connect the Zinwell closer to your receivers?

And finally, what are the brands of your two receivers?
I can try closer, yes.
Geosat Pro Microhd and old V7.

Thanks for the ideas!

Some progress!

With a different multi-switch, at first, no change.

While checking further, I found that one of two coaxes running from house to dish is Copper Clad Steel. (I don't even remember when I replaced one of the dual cables) So I replaced it with Solid Copper Core today. No more glitches when changing channels! Only glitch I see now is when I turn on a receiver.

BUT the Zinwell multi-Switch will still not function correctly. Maybe it is more finicky? IDK

The 2 coaxes running to the Dual lnbf are Copper Clad. I plan to replace them next with Solid Copper. (Coax running from Multi-Switch to other dish has always been Copper Core.)

I still need to check the 2 coaxes running from ground block to both receivers. May be CCS there as well... Or maybe some damage from old lightning strike.

I will probably replace some coax connectors to be on the safe side as well.

More testing to come later. Thanks guys for all the help so far!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)