multiswitch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

uncleharvy

Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Hi,
I need some help in setting up a FTA system. I'm sure Whatever I get here will be better than a sales person will tell me. At least you guys lots of experiance, not "That's what they tell me".

I have I have Dish Networks basic service, and would like to try out the new fta hobby, at least new to me. I have read a lot of posts and haven't seen answers to what I'll ask you folks.

I picked out a multiswitch, a 3x8 Stern 201-737, which I plan to mount near the downlead from the Dish. Mount a OTA antenna and a 30+" dish for fta. The sales person I talked to said I couldn't run fta and a Dish on the same line, or one used for Direct TV either, and it would take a switch compatable to Dish since that is what I have. Is there any special codes those guys use to mess up the fta signal?

I would really like to use that single line, as it would be a real pain to try to run another cable into the house. So am I doomed, or is there a chance to do it "my way". Thanks for any help you offer. Uncleharvy.

you need to keep the FTA setup different from the Dish setup. Both FTA & Dish (and DIrectv for that matter) use the same batches of frequencies so you need separate lines from the roof

The multiswitch is designed to hook up to 4 receivers to a dual LNB (like a single DirecTV dish or a FTA dish)

Thanks for the quick reply, Iceberg. Finally I got a straight answer. So I guess the brand of switch I buy won't matter as long as I keep it seperate from the Dish and it's downlead, is that correct?

Looks like I'll only need a 2x2 switch that will allow the OTA antenna and the dish, as I'll never need more than two receivers. I've never seen one like that, so probably will have to get a 3x4 or 3x8. Do I need to use a diaplexer at the receiver end to seperate the frequency's again? Thanks again,Uncleharvy

yes. Diplexers need to be used in tandem so at the receiver you would add one.

So if you have a 3x4 outside then you need one at each receiver to get the antenna

yes, keep FTA separate from DirecTV/Dish

UncleHarv -

I hate to leave any wiggle room when someone asks a question and they are just getting started.
Sounds like you are on the right track.
But...

You do understand that the three inputs to the 3x4 switch are:
a). one outdoor terrestrial TV antenna
b). two inputs from one LNB

You would need one LNB with two outputs.
That leaves out about 90% of the LNBs on the market. :rolleyes:
And, that would be good if you were looking at a single satellite on a fixed dish, or using a motor to look aim at various satellites.

If you wanted to add a second LNB either to your existing dish, or on another dish, you'd be out of luck.
A second LNB would require a 5x4 switch, if you were to still wish to bring in your TV downlead.

By coincidence, I was looking on eBay last night, searching under: "powered multiswitch".
There were unpowered 3x4's in the $9 and $12 range , including shipping.
Think I found a 5x8 for around $25 (shipped), so that gives you some sort of general range to consider.

The DirecTV Zinwell 6x8's are not suitable.

Consider your eventual uses, and pick accordingly.
Let us know what you choose, and we'll try to give a final stamp of approval.

Oh, and for mounting, I like to put 'em under the eaves, out of the weather.
But where I live, it's very mild outside.
Other good locations are in the attic, in the basement, or elsewhere in the house.
If you want to put a switch on the back of your dish (and many do) then make sure you have one rated for outdoor use, and protect it accordingly.
Proper installation includes drip-loops in the cable, to prevent water running down the coax onto the device.

Happy FTAing. - :up

Again thanks for the response Iceberg, and additionaly to Anole for good advise. I plan to get just enough equipment to start with, to see how it goes, and not waste much money.

I found a 33" dish with a mount on it at a yard sale. It also has a universal LNB, with two outputs. I have to mount the dish on the roof, due to very small setbacks here where we live. The roof has a very slight pitch, with roll roofing, so it may be a bear to get the short mast level and plumb. Also I may want a motor, but according to what I've read, the motor is hard to set up,so that will come later as I'm sure I'll have enough trouble as it stands.

As far as the switch goes, the placement will just have to be a compromise because of cabling. The easy way would be to streach the cables across the roof to the downlead, but I doubt if that would be a good idea for anything other than a trial . We live near Phoenix, and it gets pretty hot here, even though I have the roof painted with white rubber paint, which really helps. I would have long runs around under the eaves for sure, but that may be the best way to go. Some cable will have to lay on the roof just to get to the eave.

So thanks again for the switch help because I didn't realize that I needed an extra input for the LNB. Also I should get one that's powered for long runs. Now I'll shop some and see what it takes. Right now, the Viewsat Pro looks like a good receiver, so that will go on the list. Thanks again, Uncleharvy.

ideas: easing into it

A universal LNB with two outputs is ... unusual ... and would go well with your 3x4 switch idea (combining with TV downlead).

If you are willing to set up an initial test, then by all means pick one of the birds you can see from your back yard and set up a fence post in a 5 gallon bucket of cement.
I'll bet you can find a clear line of sight to 123ºW, Galaxy 10r, which will get you some initial experience.
It'll be quite high in the sky, and should be an easy target.
The 5' pole and 60# of cement cost me under $10, and it can later be moved around for other tests.

Having the dish where you can get to it easily will make first aiming and alignment much easier.
Taking your FTA receiver and small TV out in the back yard will help, too.
Once you have the basics for getting the FTA receiver going, you'll feel a lot more confident.
Leave out any switches 'till you get it going, then try incorporating switches, diplexers, and your TV antenna before committing it all to a roof mount.

As for receiver choice, you might take a look through our review section, and also note what the members like.
Often a cheap one is not the best, even for a beginner, as it'll become obsolete sooner.
To that end, I'd go so far as to suggest one that can operate as a PVR, with the addition of a USB hard drive (like the Visionsat in my signature).
And it's not that expensive.

We live near Phoenix, and it gets pretty hot here, even though I have the roof painted with white rubber paint, which really helps. I would have long runs around under the eaves for sure, but that may be the best way to go. Some cable will have to lay on the roof just to get to the eave.
if you can do under the eaves, by all mean do it. Otherwise you can zip tie it to the back of the dish mast. That's what I have done in the past and I'm in MN so we get the cold and snow :)

Here's an inspirational picture of a 36" dish in a 5 gallon bucket.
The bucket is just visible at the bottom of the shot.
That's a zip-loc bag over the LNB (don't ask)

The pole is half a length of a standard fence post of appropriate size to match the dish mount (same size as the J-pipe mount that came with the dish).
So, that makes it roughly 5' of pipe with a dish on top.
Talk about being handy to get to! Just the right height. - :up

use of machete is optional - :eek:

Attachments

• 06-09-07_1143.jpg
    06-09-07_1143.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 142
Thanks again for all the help. I will route the cables along the eaves, which will shade them and look better too. With a white background they will never show.

The bucket and short post is a good idea. I sure haden't thought of that. I can get that setup while waiting for the receiver. Also not having to mess with any switching is also a good idea, giving me more time to think of what expansion I may want. Later.

So now it's going to start the fun part which is better than the planning. So thanks again, and I'll report back as soon as I can, and I'm sure it will bring more questions.

invisible cable

RG6 coax is available in both black . . and . . white.

Choose appropriately. - :cool:
Shouldn't be any cost difference.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)