Multiswitches Multi receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gabshere

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Rison , Arkansas
ok what i have now is several primestars stand alones and several c band stand alones ( not finished yet) I'm looking to go from maybe 8 lnb's to up to 4 receivers. what will i need. none of the lnb's i have are dual and all are standard.

i've seen several drawings but can't remember if duals were needed or not.

and Iceman i know you said you system was somthing like this, but didn't know which switch 3X4, 4x4, 6x8

was thinking of (and right now i only have one receiver hooked up right now) going from the receiver to a 22k switch to two 4 port disqec switches (to all stationary lnb's) that gives me 8

When you want to have multiple receivers to be able to use the same dish and LNB, the thing to use is a multi-switch.

But before you can use a multi-switch, note there is a problem with the "polarity" (H/V) when using a SINGLE coax connection LNB.

You need to use a DUAL coax connection LNB. This is because the receiver applies 13 volts to the coax cable to get one polarity and 18 volts on the coax to get the other polarity.

You CAN'T have one receiver applying 13 volts to a single coax connection and the other receiver applying 18 volts at the same time!

The trick is to use a DUAL coax connection LNB. Then the multi-switch has two connections to the LNB. One connection is always 13 volts and one polarity, the other connection is always 18 volts and the other polarity (for use by the multi-switch). Then the multi-switch determines what polarity each receiver is wanting and connects the receiver to the appropriate connection on the LNB.

Need for dual coax connection LNB explained...
Technical Support for DSS Multiplexors, Fluke Multimeters, Progressive Tone Testers.

Multiswitch H/V problem explained...
http://www.hooktech.co.nz/pdf/Installing a Two LNB Multi Switch.pdf

How multiswitches work (scroll 1/4 way down page)...
Part 1 - getting to know basics

3 x 4 multiswitch diagram
Dishkbron.com  installation diagram

Hooking up Multiple Satellite Receivers...
HOOKING UP MULTIPLE SATELLITE RECEIVERS

Diagram

Attachments

• 7-8 sats-4rec.jpg
    7-8 sats-4rec.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 186
can i throw stacked lnb in to the config . is a stacked lnb still getting the 13 /18 v or does it stack the h & v so the voltage doesn't matter ..

what i was getting at is will using a stacked lnb do away with needing a dual.

stacked LNB is just V polarity. So technically you could just use a 4 way splitter (high frequency)

thanks guys i will have to do some more thinking don't know yet might have to go with a uncommitted switch. i will have to read a bunch before i jump in.
also have to check out labgates site .

George
You can mix LNB's into a switch too. a few examples of setups I have had

The original one I had was H side of G4 C-Band and the V side of G10 KU into a 3x4 multiswitch...4 recievers off one switch. Can't get opposite polarity though (no biggie)

upgraded to both feeds of a C-Band LNB for G4, the H side of AMC1 C-Band and the V side of G10 into a 4x4 multiswitch..same concept but now I get both sides of G4

I also have done a stacked LNB on 119 for the audio into the V side of a multiswitch and a feed from AMC3 into the H side. This gave me all the Dish free channels and Montana PBS. I had a setup like the pic above but on one side of the 4x4 multiswitch I had 119/87. Worked pretty good.

I think when I was all said and one with the T90 at one point it was set up as
72 V only
74 both
79 both
85 both
91 both
93 both
97 both
103 H only
119 H only
123 V only

into 4 4x4 multiswitches and outputs to 4 recievers (this was pre 2 C-Band dishes) :)

ok great Iceberg i will keep thinking :)

i also have to read up on a DishPro DP-34 switch

this might be an option too

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)