My 211 DVR function is activated

No not at all was not able to get thru to automated line, may be because my acct is bundled with my phone service. Tried until around 11pm. Thanks for your help.

Thanks!

L454 is correct for a VIP 211k, an EHD will work fine.

Thanks for the info that L454 is the latest for the 211K. To be honest I didn't know that there was a difference between the 211 & 211K. The reason for this is of course is that in the electronics industry (dvd players, TVs, etc.) the "K" normally means that the unit is "black". Since the 211K is black I made the mistake of assuming it was just a black 211:confused:.
Obviously not so and just another stupid mistake in dish's naming nomenclature.
At any rate I called last night and had it activated within 5 minutes. Pleasant surprise to be honest :).
Gerry

Thanks for the info that L454 is the latest for the 211K. To be honest I didn't know that there was a difference between the 211 & 211K. The reason for this is of course is that in the electronics industry (dvd players, TVs, etc.) the "K" normally means that the unit is "black". Since the 211K is black I made the mistake of assuming it was just a black 211:confused:.
Obviously not so and just another stupid mistake in dish's naming nomenclature.
At any rate I called last night and had it activated within 5 minutes. Pleasant surprise to be honest :).
Gerry

Glad to see it's working ok.

The 211k is also smaller in size. It appears to me that while they are basically the same as far as the user goes there is some internal differences. I ordered one of the new remotes (21.0), they come with the new 722k/222K. I have read several reports that the new search button does not work on them (on older receivers), However, it does on my 211k. Does not seem to do anything different than the # button though. Also a few days ago Dish was experimenting with some new test channels that apparently messed up the 211's. Didn't seem to bother my 211k.

Chan

Glad to see it's working ok.

The 211k is also smaller in size. It appears to me that while they are basically the same as far as the user goes there is some internal differences. I ordered one of the new remotes (21.0), they come with the new 722k/222K. I have read several reports that the new search button does not work on them (on older receivers), However, it does on my 211k. Does not seem to do anything different than the # button though. Also a few days ago Dish was experimenting with some new test channels that apparently messed up the 211's. Didn't seem to bother my 211k.

Chan

I had a 211 a couple years ago when they first came out. I was surprised about the size of the 211K as it appeared to be quite a bit smaller than the old 211 that I had. Since this unit is on my wife's computer desk- size does matter :D..
Thanks again for the help,
Gerry

Alright, I had this same problem...I had CSR's try to activate my service 5 different times without it working. Try this...when you call this number, it recognizes your phone number...if that number is on your account, you get transferred to the CSR. Try calling from a number not associated with your account. When I did this(after entering some account info) I was able to use the automated service. The system activated my drive within about 30 seconds. Now here's the thing...if a CSR has supposedly already "activated" your service, then they have already charged you the 39.99 fee. If you use the automated system, you will be charged an additional 39.99 fee. Obviously if that's the case, call a rep and explain and they'll credit your account for the extra fee. Good luck and let me know how it works for you.

Has anyone besides chikagobnd had luck with the automated service? Seems like the experience of those posting earlier was just the opposite, couldn't get the automated service to work but had luck with a CSR so long as the 499 screen was displayed during activation.

No not at all was not able to get thru to automated line, may be because my acct is bundled with my phone service. Tried until around 11pm. Thanks for your help.

That's a bummer man. I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you. Maybe you can ask the CSR to let you try the automated service? I don't know if that's even possible for them to do, but it might be worth a shot...believe me, I know how frustrating this is.

My experience. Connected the new WD 500 GB MyBook Essentials and called the number on the 499 screen. After 10-15 min. of menus and Christmas music got through to a CSR who asked if I wanted to activate a DTVPal. I said no, I'm trying to activate an external HD on a 211. After 5 more minutes on hold she said that ALL my receivers had activated but it could take up to 20 minutes to take effect. I figured that she really didn't know what she was doing after that comment, but I had been careful to keep the 499 screen up the whole time so I crossed my fingers and waited.

Half hour later, still no love, so I called again and asked for tech support. This guy had me disconnect the HD, do a front panel re-boot, and try again. He also had me read off the numbers of info screens as they popped up and was surprised to find that several of them still were not included in his list. In any event, the activation went through this time and everything is working fine. Told him to make sure that I was not charged twice for the activation, and he said I wouldn't be. We shall see. Total time to activation: 1hr. 20 min.

DVR schedule lockout option

A DVR schedule lockout option would be nice. I have a 3 1/2YO who knows how to record to DVR every event from her cartoon channels. I had to delect 15 timers she added. She saw me setup a dish pass for "tom & jerry" and a week later, boom she took over the receiver. :)

Kids. With mine, it's "Total Drama Island"...

Since I replaced the USB cable with the USB 2.0 cable that came with the drive, I haven't had any further problems with recording. I had to move things around a bit to get it to reach, but I'm okay now.

Alright folks, I'm sure this has been answered in this huge thread, but I will ask anyway.

I have paid the $39 fee for my vip 211. Works fine. I just got a 750gb drive for my vip 722, hooked it up, and got the message to call dish to activate.

So, does the $39 fee cover JUST the 211 or all receivers on my account (2). If I have to pay another $39, I'll just return the 750gb drive and won't use one on my 722.

Thanks.

Set up a my new 211K this afternoon. I hooked up my external drive and called the number on the screen, was transfered to a csr and with in 5 minutes he had the feature activated and working. I'm using a 110g drive from my blown Toshiba laptop in a Rocket Fish enclosure I got for 5.00 off Ebay.

Just a quick question - do I have to leave the receiver on in order to record a future event? My 722 is always off when not in use and records fine.
Thanks
John

A little off topic here, but I just picked up a WD Elements 500GB EHD at Target for $68. It has one of those AAKS series hard drives in it that KAB seems to think are the best for DVR applications, and it comes in a sturdy aluminum case. I can tell you, using it with my 622 that thing barely gets warm to the touch. Should be an excellent drive for DVR use.

Before I went out tonight I set the receiver to record three programs then using the remote turned the receiver off (just like I do with my 722). Not one of the programs recorded. The test program I recorded while watching tv was still there, so unless there is a setting Im missing looks like I'll have to leave the receiver on all the time.
John

Before I went out tonight I set the receiver to record three programs then using the remote turned the receiver off (just like I do with my 722). Not one of the programs recorded. The test program I recorded while watching tv was still there, so unless there is a setting Im missing looks like I'll have to leave the receiver on all the time.
John

This is not good news. It also means that one will have to ensure that the automatic shutoff for "not in use" is deactivated.

this maybe a really dumb question. but will the programs i record be in HD,or is there a difference between an SD dvr and an HD dvr.sorry if this is has been answered 100 times.

John

I did the same thing with my VIP211 for a hockey game.
I had set up the timer and then I turned off the TV and the VIP and went out
I got back latter then I thought I would it was about 23 minutes after the game started and I though that I had missed the start of the game but the VIP had recorded every thing from the start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)