My 4K UHD video productions

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
This is my first go at producing a 4K UHD amateur video. It was quite a learning curve.

I own two 4K cameras, GoPro Hero 4 Black shooting in 24 frames per sec. and a Sony AX53. The GoPro was mounted on a Feiyutec 3 axis gimbal stabilizer and was used exclusively on the bus tour part of the video. The Sony AX53 was used to shoot all other parts, including all the still images.
I started editing this project in Grass Valley's Edius but it could not handle the bit rates this video was shot at 60 Mbs so I switched to Sony Vegas Pro v13 which has a feature using proxy editing, allowing me to build a video timeline with SD resolution proxy clips and then apply the edit decisions automatically to my 4K files in the render. The Proxy editing permits real time playback of my edits.

In September, I did a 14 day cruise aboard Celebrity Summit out of Cape Liberty NJ. The 2 day stop in Quebec City was the highlight of the Cruise. We had other stops in Boston, Portland, Halifax, Sydney, NS, and Prince Edward Island.

Reactions: dfergie
Note- I just finished uploading this to YT this morning. 4K YT processing takes a couple hours before the full 4K version is available.

Also, this video does not use HDR so be sure to shut HDR off and select BT709 8 bit 4:2:0 in your settings in case you are not using "Auto" in your player. UHD is a different game as many of you are learning. If your player is not set for auto pass through your TV may not display the picture the way it was produced.
At this time the settings I have chosen are compatible with both current You Tube 4K limits and requirements and UHD TV's and players when set to "Auto" mode.

Irish folk soundtrack behind French Canadian scenery?

Need to learn the history of the region. Lyn, our guide, reviewed the British, (Irish & Scottish) and French conflicts in the early days on our tour. The mariners were mostly the Irish. The farmers were French. The builders were British. Today, there is a strong Irish population of the Quebec city, about 6%. In fact I bought that CD from a street vendor in Quebec City who was performing the songs. French music was hard to find, almost non existent. The red maple leaf represents the British and the Blue color is French. You know Canada still pays taxes to Great Britain. The fact that the language is French is a misconception. It's bilingual. However, the Catholics being French do not teach English in the early grades. Only in public school. The Canadians still pay GB a tiny tax for the maintenance of the Queen. I recall it is $1.5 per person. LOL! Frankly, their whole system is pretty messed up for the 21st century, but the people are very friendly and love American tourists. It was my most favorite place to visit this year.

Mariners are transients by nature. 6% isn't a hugely influential number. The music is great to be sure, but we'll differ on its relative importance to the region.

There are seven times more Irishmen in the US than the population of Ireland and there are at least a dozen large cities in the US with more than a 6% claiming Irish background (not just on St. Patrick's Day).

Like some of my video shot across water, the swoopy zooms can be overdone; especially if the boat is rockin'. Zoom-ins are probably preferable to zoom-outs. I've found that playing some of my zoom-outs in reverse have lead to more desirable visuals. This emulates the brain's attraction to major features in a landscape.

Here's another just completed. Finally figured out how to use the 4K Proxy mode in Edius so I can edit in real time. It's a more robust editor than Vegas Pro.

For more of my videos subscribe to:
https://www.youtube.com/user/DonLandis

Like some of my video shot across water, the swoopy zooms can be overdone; especially if the boat is rockin'.

Do you have a YT channel? I always like seeing what other do to learn new tricks. :)

You will note the rocking ship in the opening shots. That was intentional, because earlier before dawn, the ship was in the St. Lawrence Bay where the seas were easily 15 ft and the ship was rocking as we entered Charlottetown harbor it calmed down quickly. None of my shooting was done on a tripod. The GoPro Hero4 shots were using a 3 axis gimbal for stabilizing the camera on the bus ride. I'm still experimenting with window glare.

Reactions: Dirtydan
Do you have a YT channel?
Most all of my stuff is copyrighted by someone else so I can't post it.
None of my shooting was done on a tripod.
Use the force, Luke. A tripod (or a monopod if you can't reasonably use a tripod) will make a huge difference in scenery shots to keep the horizon level and steady. They are even more important at night.

I have the equipment and carry it, but rarely anymore do I have the opportunity to set the sticks. The one in my avatar is really nice, all carbon fiber and a good fluid head, but on these tours, they get in the way. I have the GoPro's on a 3 axis gyro stabilizer which really helps. I have two CF monopods that I take when I am out on my own and not having to keep up with the group. Not sure if you have experienced them yet, but Sony really has perfected the OIS and DIS stabilizing technology, but it still can't correct for low frequency bounce like the pitching ship over the swells. Normally the ship has it's own stabilizers out but during that shooting the captain had pulled them in. My cabin was near the front and the stabilizers are visible right below my balcony. They sure do make a difference.

I understand if you only do work for hire and don't have access to what you shoot once you are paid. Been there done that.

Not sure if you have experienced them yet, but Sony really has perfected the OIS and DIS stabilizing technology, but it still can't correct for low frequency bounce like the pitching ship over the swells.
I own an Alpha 6000 and an HD Handycam so I'm familiar with Sony's OIS. I also know that OIS didn't fix what I saw in your sweeping zooms on a flat and windless St. Lawrence river. That's what begat the comment about using sticks.

Was it really that hazy? The images look sharp but there seems to be a yellowish cast. I'd be tempted to process in some blue to richen it up.

Was it really that hazy? The images look sharp but there seems to be a yellowish cast. I'd be tempted to process in some blue to richen it up.

Which part? Underwater of above water? Early morning arrival was at 6AM and yes that was hazy. Some of my shots used the full optical zoom 30:1 on the camera and it was locked on a tripod on the ship. I recall you complained about not using one the last time. :)

Details- I shot the above water stuff with a Sony AX53 4K camera using a CPL filter. Added a small bit of sharpness in post and tweaked the luminance and chroma with a WFM and VS.

The U/W was shot with a GoPro Hero 4 Black using a U/W red filter designed for 5-20 ft water depth. The GoPro was set for 4K wide, 30fps, color set for Raw Flat and then I set the chroma balance in post to known color standards.

My U/W camera contains 3 GoPro's 2 for 3D stereo and one for 4K. There is an edit of just the UW edit content in 3D. I posted the link in the 3D thread. The twin GoPros for 3D also use the same Red filter but those cameras are shooting 1080P, not 4K. I'll post an image of it later.

I actually had some problems with the 4K GoPro camera because some tiny air bubbles got trapped under the filter so in post I cropped most of them out. I will be adjusting my procedure on the next trip, attaching the filter under water so there will be no air bubbles trapped. I guess that was the most annoying problem with the shoot. I will be back on another dive in February.

Every shoot I discover something to fix for the next shoot.

BTW- I just learned that Mercalli has a new set of plugins for Edius. I just bought the suite as there is a great sale right now. It's rated as the best IS on the market. They also have a CMOS error correction too. I plan to do some experimenting on it this week. The UW video is especially hard to get steady shots when snorkeling in mild choppy water.

I recall you complained about not using one the last time.
I did notice that sticks influenced some shots and not others (the wheelhouse).

Some of the shots across water were rolling pretty good while others, seemingly in rougher water, were not. Cruise vessels aren't known for their pitching and rolling. Most have active measures to prevent it.

From afar, you can never claim to know when the stabilizers are deployed. Generally, in open seas, they will deploy and when in bay or river waters, regardless how rough the conditions are, they do not deploy the stabilizers. Since the stabilizers reduce fuel efficiency, they generally only deploy in seas greater than 6-10 ft and less than 15 ft. Cruise vessels are least subject to rough seas in the midships on the lower decks. On our cruise in Canada, we were in a room on the aft end and the seas in the St. Lawrence were running 3-5 ft most of the time until we got near Quebec. Anyway, it is what it is. :)

Here's my custom build GoPro camera I use for snorkeling. The top cam is a Hero 4 Black for shooting 4K and the side by side GoPro's are for 3D.
P1020816s.jpg
P1020817s.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)