My farm is yawn with out my BUD working right

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KevinAPB

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
I have been searching and searching for something good but it seems I am blacked out lol.. I have yet to come across any nose picking yoyo's or anything else remotely exciting - yawn..its something with my BUD..

I have this strange problem..Ku seems to be gone and my Polarotor thingy it acting up I THINK.. Tron just last night suggested this possibility but I do have a nice cap on my horn so no insects - I checked. Its hard to get him on the roof sometimes :)

I can see verticle but horizontal is no go even in C-Band and YES the rotar is moving when switched, wife + radio + understanding = moving seemingly correctly but it bounbces to rest so to speak going back into verticle.
Also the wiring is solid, connected and receiver seems to be working right.

I lost a bunch of good solid stuff I really enjoy so what gives??? Ideas?

I moved my fixed from 79 to 72 but theres nothing there and all I have is the little 1 meter ku to play with.

Kevin;

Now comes the troubleshooting. Check and doublecheck everything from reciever voltage to cable & connections. If you have a signal meter it will become your best friend. A dish 500 makes for an ok reciever and cable run sanity check as you can get 110/119 with your eyes closed.

Tron also advised I begin to remove the switch and try cable connections directly to the receiver, thats next, its just a nightmare of cabling back there and so hard to get to - even a picture would not do it justice. Its a cabling nightmare including old coax lines not used, cable tv not used, so on and such. I am right smack dab in the middle of quitting smoking and my nerves are on edge like never before!! I am 18 days with out a cigarette, 40 years old smoking since 14 and was almost a 2.5 pack a day user. I am stressed to the hilt right now. I have not done much nor left my chair for days, I know I need to get up and moving I just cant seem to do it and those cables are one of my nightmares right now. I did switch ports and nothign new, same issue plus everything else on the switch works.

Sorry, I am a mess mentally right now. I have the technology, just going in the shop to pull everything out is not exactly what I feel like doing, its a mess in there too right now. In the middle of machining a shaft for a wind turbine and theres shavings everywhere plus everything is covered up. As soon as I can get the shaft off the lathe I can get my shop back and get to my electronics goodies.

Did you understand what I meant by the rotor bouncing, it sorta twitches a bit then settles down to the position, is that normal??? It sorta hesitates and then moves, a twitch right and left then it moves correctly then it does that bounce like I said, settles down. Its moving fully. The thing is though when I adjust skew it is instantly dramatic - loss of signal. It will go into LOS as soon as I touch the skew either direction but hitting the reverse button works or should I say the rotor is turning like it should seemingly. I am no pro with this, electronics I understand and satellite stuff I get but the little things like this crap is sending me over the edge right now. HINT to Tron - drop by big daddy.

I would suggest a replacement polarotor, but I don't have one for a Corotor II. I will have a spare voltage-switched dual output C-Band LNBF soon though.

check the hardware and connections

I would suggest checking the mounting hardware as well as the motor and the coax connectors. I was fortunate to do some head scratching as to why I was having reception problems. I discovered yesterday that the hardware which holds my 90cm dish to the DG280 motor shaft was loose. I tightened the hardware and the reception of all the channels returned to normal. Come to think of it, I think I remembered seeing something similar to what you described. When I pressed the remote buttons on the motor to test it for the first time, it did flop a little as I watched the dish being turned to the east and then to the west. You might check the gears and shaft on the actuator/motor - perhaps it might be broken. Many members here have also had success in restoring service to their dish and receiver simply by replacing the connectors. Are the coax connectors crimped or compressed? Compression connectors work better than crimped. In fact, I gave up on crimping after seeing how much better compression connectors work. I don't know how old your cables are, but cables last only so long and will eventually need to be replaced.

Everything is compression and were made with new cable couple years ago or so. I have no issues pointing the dish, its pointing fine manually as I do it, I am having some other sort of issue and cant put my finger on it.

After reading these post are you sure that the receive is changing the polarity?

the best way to check is drive the dish down to a low satellite, then take the feed cup off (little cover over end feed throat maybe blue ) an look inside feed throat an see that the antenna is moving, should be moving 90 degrees to the T. also some time bees or wasps like to build a nest in their if this feed cup is not on, an that will attenuate signal also.

After reading these post are you sure that the receive is changing the polarity?

the best way to check is drive the dish down to a low satellite, then take the feed cup off (little cover over end feed throat maybe blue ) an look inside feed throat an see that the antenna is moving, should be moving 90 degrees to the T. also some time bees or wasps like to build a nest in their if this feed cup is not on, an that will attenuate signal also.

Yes, I did this exact procedure, its turning but it twitches on resting into position, theres nothing in the horn but what belongs there, the cap is good and always on.

I would suggest a replacement polarotor, but I don't have one for a Corotor II
I suggest ditching the polarotor, and put an LNBF on there. Voltage controlled H/V and no more moving parts to crap out on ya! :D:up

Yes, I did this exact procedure, its turning but it twitches on resting into position, theres nothing in the horn but what belongs there, the cap is good and always on.

well the twitching could be coming from the receiver (have seen this in the past with some old c-band receivers) or it could also be the plastic part that drive the antennas in the feed horn, may be binding some way.

now that you have check that the servo is moving the antenna (90 degrees) from vert to horz, an all setting are correct in the receiver. then it has to be dish alinement or focal adjustment. I would look more to the focal adjustment due to you not receving ku an a horz c-band signal.

The polarity motor has to be zeroed at due south. If you're using an analog receiver to control polarity, use the rec's polarity adjustment to adjust polarotor to zero on your south satellite. You should be able to get both polarities there. Sounds like either the rec is putting out faulty voltage, there's water in a cable someplace, or the polarotor is dying.

You can remove the blue motor and and see if lnb is turning freely inside. What I have done also is turn motor in blue box manually making sure it is not turned all the way in one direction. Then reconnect and check. If nothing else works you can hook up blue motor directly to back of receiver to see if turning properly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts