My first 5.1 system.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Leprechuan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Greetings,

My wife and I agreed on a system for our first 5.1 surround sound system which we will get before Christmas.

Receiver:
The Sony STR-DG510 5.1 Home Theater Receiver at 100 watts per channel.

Speakers:
The Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System with the subwoofer included.

How does this sound as a “starter” system?
I found a company in Buffalo New York, B & K Components in which every part is made in America.

But, I don’t have the $3500.00 to get that one. I guess for a little over $400.00, I could have a decent system.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,

Leprechuan

Well Boxed huh?

Well is this one of those do it all in one pkg or a amp and speakers? I prefer seperate peices. I did go out and purchase a low end sony box kit. Receiver and set of speakers. I'm not impressed. It was the cheap model sony and the bass speaker was not even powered. I use to have a KLH powered 12" that died *sniff*.

Plus the receiver even though a seperate receiver and looks like a sterio receiver only has inputs for a cd player on top of the VCR or DVD player. I realized I got what I pay for and it also depends on your room in your place.

Later,

Josh

For the same price I would go for Onkyo's starter system. I got mine from Circuit City last year and I love it. Just like any other ones, you probably want to invest on your own speaker wires if you really want to get the best from the system. Another point you might want to consider is the connectivity. My Onkyo doesn't have HDMI, S-video or component video. So I have my video feed from DVD to the TV direcetly. It's OK since I don't have too many sources or the wiring in the back would be chaotic.

Greetings,

My wife and I agreed on a system for our first 5.1 surround sound system which we will get before Christmas.

Receiver:
The Sony STR-DG510 5.1 Home Theater Receiver at 100 watts per channel.

Speakers:
The Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System with the subwoofer included.

How does this sound as a “starter” system?
I found a company in Buffalo New York, B & K Components in which every part is made in America.

But, I don’t have the $3500.00 to get that one. I guess for a little over $400.00, I could have a decent system.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,

Leprechuan

I am a Sony man for many years with their TVs & DVD recorders/players & VCRs. For the money it's not a bad starter system in my opinion. It really depends what you like and how much $$ you are willing to spend on a system. Electronics change rapidly. I bought my Yamaha HTR-5890 in 12/05 and it has no HDMI inputs. That is the only thing it lacks. I would have bought a Sony amp, but I was a DJ for many years and used commercial Yamaha amplifiers. My current system is a 7.1 with 120 watts per ch. My sub woofer is 12", self powered, and you can really feel the lower bass notes. All my speakers are Klipsch.

You have a decent system for the $$ you spent. Enjoy it.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
To the OP, how do you like your Sony STR-DG510? It's got all the features that I need but would like to hear about the sound quality.

Since I would probably need to buy speakers too, I was looking at the Onkyo HT-SR600. Anyone has any comments on this receiver.

Ah, I guess I should read the posts. :) Please report back, I'm interested in hearing your experience with the STR-DG510.

FYI, Crutchfield has it for $179.00 but don't know if shipping is free.

RandallA,

I got the same price from Amazon.com and it arrived yesterday.
I checked one of my credit card this morning and found they upped my line of credit by 2k!
So I am ordered the speakers this morning.
I should be here next week.

I am wondering about hooking up either the Toshiba HD A2 or A3 to the HDMI port marked for Blu Ra, can I hook it up there?

This tired, cranky, sober Leprechuan wants to know.

Leprechuan

An update.

All the pieces arrived this week and then I realized that I had to get speaker stands.
Six of them, 5 for the speakers and one for the HD OTA I have.
I’m just about set; I got speaker wire, the HDMI cable as well at the TOSLink cable.
I am planning on hooking the system up by December 1. If I had the stand, I would have hooked it up today.

I hope this work out.

Leprechuan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts