My Lovely Landlord (installation permission)

jptaylor

Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Hey all. I will find out an answer for sure when installer comes tommorow, but if someone out there is a Dish installer or knows a lot about Dish's you can probably help me out (since I wont be getting it installed till i get the letter from my landlord, and I cant get the letter from my Landlord until I talk to the installer or someone tech-savy (catch 22?)...

My Landlord doesn't typically allow dish installation, they are afraid of leaks. However there is an exiting DirectTV dish on the front porch (noone uses anymore, not sure why they never took the dish back?).

If I can use the exiting mount the landlord said it would be ok (I might have to take dish off myself though since I don't know if they will touch a directv dish, though maybe they can use the mount).

I don't know if they are compatible or if atleast holes in roof can be reused. Before I get the letter from my landlord I will have to talk to installer, so basically they are driving out to my place just to answer a question (atleast im not footing the bill though)

And what makes it worse is that we need an HD dish in the back of the house. They said that if I sign a thing saying that if roof leaks because of the install I am liable for damage costs...I guess I can agree to this, as long as chances are slim the dish messes up the roof. Its a porch roof though so it won't leak into the house, maybe they can put a mount on the corner of the porch roof that doesnt penetrate the roof too

Well any help is appreciated...At least I can keep rescheduling the install for free.

When installed on a roof, they use pitch pads (kind of like tar in a flat pouch). I haven't had a leak in 8 years. Make sure the installer uses pitch pads or similar and you'll be fine.

ALSO, the dish may be able to be mounted on a VERTICAL surface like .... any outside wall. I have one of those as well. Again.... no leaks..... 8 years at LEAST on that one.

Who installs dishes directly over the attic anymore?? All the dish installs I've had and have seen at friends houses are on the eaves where there is no worry about leaking ...

Or like this:

Attachments

• Picture-6024.jpg
    Picture-6024.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 263
Dish has two mast sizes that it uses, directv has three so there is a decent probability that your directv mast may not work for the dish install, you can tell by the dish face itsself. If the dish face says Sony then its a really old ( around 10 years or so ) and wont work with the dish network dish.

And there's still room to mount a SuperDish 121 on the side; and tie off a ladder or hang a monkey bar.:D

Yes, a 2 Dish solution is always possible with that setup. Beats it being on the roof and possible leaks, and easier to reach than on a roof. I have 20ft Fiberglass pull out ladder, which makes it a breeze to get there.:D

Who installs dishes directly over the attic anymore?? All the dish installs I've had and have seen at friends houses are on the eaves where there is no worry about leaking ...

Not every eave is wide enough, or solid enough to mount to. EVERY HOUSE IS DIFFERENT. Roof mounts are still very common and sometimes necessary if the customer actually wants a reliable signal. If it's mounted solidly to a stud and bishop tape is used, it's going to be fine. The closer to the edge of the roof, the better, but, as always, we are at the mercy of trees. You can't shoot through solid matter. I'll charge for a pole mount unless it is absolutely necessary to get a line of sight. Period. It doesn't matter to me if it's the landlord who pays or the customer. Just as long as the check doesn't bounce. (cash is always better.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)