My new hr34 has only 1 sat input?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jim Christian

Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
I'm swapping it for an hr24 which has 2 sat inputs plus the b-band cable adapters, how do I wire the hr34?

Btw, the manual shows 2 inputs

I have 2 ganged 4x8s, what do I need to buy?

Will directv install it?

I have 6 - hr24s connected hard wired to a router

Otherwise, you need to buy a SWM16 depending on how many other receivers you have.

The HR34 is 5 tuners. DVRs are 2 tuners, regular receivers are 1 tuner.

That would let you use the HR34 and 5 other DVRs (or 6 if you have one run on single tuner).

SWM16 are around $70-80 on ebay, much more at retailers.

Directv would probably do it for the cost of a service call, possibly free depending on your account.

I'm in a state of shock that you have 6 HR24's. Trading one of your HR24's for a HR34,potentially giving you a total of 15 tuners afterwards,just how much recording do you do? First off,you need the SWM 16 multi-switch with power adapter just to be able to integrate the HR34 with your remaining 5 HR24's(if I understood that correctly). The SWM 16 multi-switch will cost almost as much as the HR34 does. Even if you stayed with your 6 HR24's & just wanted to upgrade to SWM DECA multi-room viewing whereby your internet connection would run through your coaxial cable,you'd still need the SWM 16 multi-switch(the good news is that you don't need to change your 4 cable SL3/5 LNB for a 1 cable SWM SL3/5 LNB). Now if you did go with the HR34,I've been told that you can hard wire it to your router,you don't need a cinema connection kit. You'd need to bypass your 2 4x8 splitters & replace them with probably 2 green labeled SWM 4-way splitters. Your internet connection to your 5 HR24's would run through your coaxial cable. You'd need to detach the coaxial cable & B-B converter to your satellite 2 input because you only need the one coaxial cable to your satellite 1 input. You need to remove the remaining B-Band converter to your satellite 1 input because you don't need it for SWM set up. Now you need to disconnect ALL ethernet cables to your remaining 5 HR24's & you should have whole home multi-room viewing(if you ordered it) & internet connections running through your coaxial cable.

Otherwise, you need to buy a SWM16 depending on how many other receivers you have.

The HR34 is 5 tuners. DVRs are 2 tuners, regular receivers are 1 tuner.

That would let you use the HR34 and 5 other DVRs (or 6 if you have one run on single tuner).

SWM16 are around $70-80 on ebay, much more at retailers.

Directv would probably do it for the cost of a service call, possibly free depending on your account.

I'd go eBay then for the SWM-16,because retail is almost as much as the HR34,unless I'm confusing the SWM-16 with the SWM-32,which would then be over kill,but you could keep 6 HR24's with a HR34 going with a SWM-32(I'm trying to be as simplistic as possible when it comes to wiring & keeping items to use as few as possible).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)