My OTA sucks when using the WS-D2200 Diplexers...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wms-Stargate

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 9, 2016
East Coast
My OTA Performance has taken a real hit when I have the WS-D2200 Diplexers installed. My OTA reception wasn't all that great anyway as I am out in the boonies. I really didn't want to pull a separate line all the way down my house so I can use my KU band dish.

Is there anything else I can buy that would help with my OTA reception while I keep my Sat on the same coax?

Thanks for the heads up Joseph. I will try that but for some reason the preamps don't seem to help much (to me). I really don't have much of a choice. I just thought there might be something better than those WS-2200's .

Thanks again man...
Bill

I also live in a marginal signal area. With a minimal insertion loss of 3dB, diplexers cannot be used on my system. Even with an inline preamp, I lost most channels when diplexers were used. Tested with several different models and found them to provide similar performance. Just didn't have adequate signal strength on all but a few channels. Even with only a preamp and dedicated coax run to a single TV, many channels were lost compared to what I could receive at the top of the tower during installation.

Removed all distribution losses by installing a utility box just below the rotor at the top of the tower and placing a Silicondust Homerun unit with a preamp. Now everything comes into the house on Cat6 and tuned with the HTPC, media boxes and also available to mobile devices via WiFi.

Reactions: KE4EST
I agree, I am in the same boat. You have to put up large antennas and work at it to get OTA here.
Anyway I agree, I have worked with diplexers for years. A lot of customers not wanting me to pull another cable, so I have tried everything.
Your best bet is to start a plan of attack to get anther RG-6 pulled in from the outside.

No matter how awesome your diplexers are, they still involve a certain amount of insertion loss for each diplexer. Apparently it is enough and the only options are a dedicated cable or a pre-amp.

afterthought: I have no idea how you're going to power a pre-amp as the diplexers send all the power to the SAT side.

I Removed all distribution losses by installing a utility box just below the rotor at the top of the tower and placing a Silicondust Homerun unit with a preamp. Now everything comes into the house on Cat6 and tuned with the HTPC, media boxes and also available to mobile devices via WiFi.

Those look really cool and I was unaware of them. So I am glad I asked about this issue. That puts another spin on all this tv stuff.

Thanks

Those look really cool and I was unaware of them. So I am glad I asked about this issue. That puts another spin on all this tv stuff.

Thanks

Use a POE over cat6 to power the Silicondust and power the preamp with a transformer located in a utility box at the base of the tower. Also run a 1/2 mile point to point Ubiquiti WiFi to my office and can watch TV from home or watch C-band satellite from the office! :)

IMG_3685.JPG
IMG_3689.JPG

So how about another question...

All of the other switches, like say the Pansat 4x1 DiSEqC. Do you guys loose a lot of your signal with those installed?

All switches introduce signal loss. Satellite signals are significantly stronger than OTA as they are amplified 55-65dB in the LNB/LNBF. Inserting a 22KHz or DiSEqC switch will not typically introduce a noticeable reduction as this loss is a small ratio of the distributed signal.

Reactions: KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts