My OTA sucks when using the WS-D2200 Diplexers...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wms-Stargate

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 9, 2016
East Coast
My OTA Performance has taken a real hit when I have the WS-D2200 Diplexers installed. My OTA reception wasn't all that great anyway as I am out in the boonies. I really didn't want to pull a separate line all the way down my house so I can use my KU band dish.

Is there anything else I can buy that would help with my OTA reception while I keep my Sat on the same coax?

Thanks for the heads up Joseph. I will try that but for some reason the preamps don't seem to help much (to me). I really don't have much of a choice. I just thought there might be something better than those WS-2200's .

Thanks again man...
Bill

I also live in a marginal signal area. With a minimal insertion loss of 3dB, diplexers cannot be used on my system. Even with an inline preamp, I lost most channels when diplexers were used. Tested with several different models and found them to provide similar performance. Just didn't have adequate signal strength on all but a few channels. Even with only a preamp and dedicated coax run to a single TV, many channels were lost compared to what I could receive at the top of the tower during installation.

Removed all distribution losses by installing a utility box just below the rotor at the top of the tower and placing a Silicondust Homerun unit with a preamp. Now everything comes into the house on Cat6 and tuned with the HTPC, media boxes and also available to mobile devices via WiFi.

Reactions: KE4EST
I agree, I am in the same boat. You have to put up large antennas and work at it to get OTA here.
Anyway I agree, I have worked with diplexers for years. A lot of customers not wanting me to pull another cable, so I have tried everything.
Your best bet is to start a plan of attack to get anther RG-6 pulled in from the outside.

No matter how awesome your diplexers are, they still involve a certain amount of insertion loss for each diplexer. Apparently it is enough and the only options are a dedicated cable or a pre-amp.

afterthought: I have no idea how you're going to power a pre-amp as the diplexers send all the power to the SAT side.

I Removed all distribution losses by installing a utility box just below the rotor at the top of the tower and placing a Silicondust Homerun unit with a preamp. Now everything comes into the house on Cat6 and tuned with the HTPC, media boxes and also available to mobile devices via WiFi.

Those look really cool and I was unaware of them. So I am glad I asked about this issue. That puts another spin on all this tv stuff.

Thanks

Those look really cool and I was unaware of them. So I am glad I asked about this issue. That puts another spin on all this tv stuff.

Thanks

Use a POE over cat6 to power the Silicondust and power the preamp with a transformer located in a utility box at the base of the tower. Also run a 1/2 mile point to point Ubiquiti WiFi to my office and can watch TV from home or watch C-band satellite from the office! :)

IMG_3685.JPG
IMG_3689.JPG

So how about another question...

All of the other switches, like say the Pansat 4x1 DiSEqC. Do you guys loose a lot of your signal with those installed?

All switches introduce signal loss. Satellite signals are significantly stronger than OTA as they are amplified 55-65dB in the LNB/LNBF. Inserting a 22KHz or DiSEqC switch will not typically introduce a noticeable reduction as this loss is a small ratio of the distributed signal.

Reactions: KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts