My Satellite System Upgrade Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tele-TV

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Guys,

I did a search on this site , '5lnb dish los angeles,' but could not find some of the questions to my answers.

Right now I have a [Sony, can't read the name of the multi-switch on th back] 3lnb dish, but was thinking about "futureproofing" my system w/ a 5lnb dish. I have 3 lines running off of it. I want to run at least 4 more lines right now. I also have an HD Tivo.

1. If I get the 5lnb, will I still be able to use my HD Tivo?
2. What about signal realibility/rain fade issues w/ this dish for the LA market?

Thanks! Many more questions to come. Sorry, something JUST came up right now and I can't continue to use the computer for a while.

Matthew

Last edited:
Tele-TV said:
Guys,

I did a search on this site , '5lnb dish los angeles,' but could not find some of the questions to my answers.

Right now I have a [Sony, can't read the name of the multi-switch on th back] 3lnb dish, but was thinking about "futureproofing" my system w/ a 5lnb dish. I have 3 lines running off of it. I want to run at least 24 more lines right now. I also have an HD Tivo.

1. If I get the 5lnb, will I still be able to use my HD Tivo?
2. What about signal realibility/rain fade issues w/ this dish for the LA market?

Thanks! Many more questions to come. Sorry, something JUST came up right now and I can't continue to use the computer for a while.

Matthew

ill answer the 2 questions you have asked.
1- yes you will be able to use the hdtivo
2- as far as i know there are no known rain fade issues that are related to this dish, rain fade issues are normally a problem if the dish is not peaked correctly
although that wont be true in every situation, there are sure to be some rain fade issues in severe storms

Thanks for the reply steve.

I just called my installer and he said i could continue to get LA locals (not in the 80's though, but 2-1, 4-1, etc.) in HD w/ the 5lnb. BUT when i called D*, the person i spoke to said i wouldn't be able to get LA locals anymore if i upgraded to the 5lnb, until the new mpeg4 hd dvr (hr20) is out.

1. Does anyone know which answer is correct? Thanks again.

Tele-TV said:
Thanks for the reply steve.

I just called my installer and he said i could continue to get LA locals (not in the 80's though, but 2-1, 4-1, etc.) in HD w/ the 5lnb. BUT when i called D*, the person i spoke to said i wouldn't be able to get LA locals anymore if i upgraded to the 5lnb, until the new mpeg4 hd dvr (hr20) is out.

1. Does anyone know which answer is correct? Thanks again.
We are new customers to D*.We have 2 H20 receivers and the AT9 (5LNB) dish.We are getting our locals (Nashville) through D* and off air area locals (with subchannels) via an OTA antenna.Hope this helps.

You can still get the LA locals in the 80's with the 5 LNB dish and the HR10-250, the new dish still picks up the exisiting sats, it just adds the new ones also. You won't be able to take advantage of the locals being carried on the new sats until the new DVR is out though due to them being compressed with MPEG4.

Personally I'd wait to get a new dish until you need it, you won't gain anything by adding an AT9 now. There will be a 2nd generation 5 LNB dish out at some point that appears to be lighter and smaller then the current one also.

mjones1973 said:
You can still get the LA locals in the 80's with the 5 LNB dish and the HR10-250, the new dish still picks up the exisiting sats, it just adds the new ones also. You won't be able to take advantage of the locals being carried on the new sats until the new DVR is out though due to them being compressed with MPEG4.

Personally I'd wait to get a new dish until you need it, you won't gain anything by adding an AT9 now. There will be a 2nd generation 5 LNB dish out at some point that appears to be lighter and smaller then the current one also.

- Thank-you steve615. :)

- mjones, these locals being carried on the new sat, are they PBS HD, and the rumored WB HD?

ONE reason, well besides needing to run more lines off my dish [/"future proofing"], I was thinking about upgrading to the AT9, is because of the supposedly better PQ you get w/ the big 4 HD networks. I was doing a search earlier (sorry, can't remember now where I came across it) but someone said w/ the AT9 D* does NOT? down rez the LA CBS & NBC HD signal (but this statement might have been posted before the release of the AT9's).

Thanks!

EDIT: Or by new locals do you mean the SV (significantly viewed) ch's?

Last edited:
The max number of lines coming from the AT9 (and your triple) is 4. To get more feeds than that, you will have to install a multiswitch. The only one rated for the AT9 is the Zinwell WB68, which has 8 outputs. Since you want enough to run a hotel, you will have to get several and hook them in parallel, using diplexers. If you stayed with your triple lnb dish, there are several multiswitch options with more capacity.

As far as "future-proofing", well, this is only the next step. Who knows what will change in a few years?

Status
Please reply by conversation.