My signal quality kept getting worse, interesting cause and fix.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, the signal quality on my BUD has been getting worse over the past two weeks or so and it got to the point I could not pick up anything. Going off a hunch, I wanted to take a close look at the feed horn and probe but my BUD is mounted above the roof and I can not easily look inside so I came up with the idea of using my digital SLR camera with it's self timer to take a picture by mounting it on the end of my tripod then using the tripod like a long stick to place the camera under the feed. It was a little tricky guessing on the focus but I got a couple of sharp enough pictures to figure out what was wrong. There was a darn wasp nest (mud) inside the feed! Made a simple tool by duct taping a piece of bailing wire to a piece of PVC pipe and gently scraped out the mud and dirt. Sure was a lot easier then trying to directly access the feed. Now the dish is back working as good as ever. Perhaps I should try to come up with the cover that is suppose to go on the end of the feed. Later, DC

Attachments

• wasp1.jpg
    wasp1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 231
  • wasp2.jpg
    wasp2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 214
  • wasp_tools.jpg
    wasp_tools.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 203
Very clever . . . those wasps ! - :up

Some members have reported using the bottom couple of inches cut from small water bottles.

Around here we call those dirt daubers cuz they make their nests from mud. Wasps, or as we call them paper wasps build their nests from stuff that looks like paper and they sting like crazy if you mess with them. Mud dauber on the other hand don't sting that I know of, or at least I've never been stung by one and never heard of anyone else that has either.

Mud dauber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paper wasp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts