My Unimesh Project (6Ft)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

No Doubt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Snohomish, Wa
Well, I went back over to this elderly lady's house today & knocked on the door again. She was not able to find the receiver yet, but did mention that it had been years since they used the dish. I am not concerned with the receiver, since I have enough analog receiver as it is. This thing is light, as I was able to take it off the pole myself & put it on the ground. I will get it home tomorrow & start the process of installing the 2 3/8 pole in cement & let it cure for a few days. This is a fixed dish with cband only, there is only only coax going to the feedhorn. I will be upgrading to c band/ku while it is on the ground as well. What bird would give me the best bang for a fixed dish? I will start with this dish & get my OTA reception fine tuned as well, then upgrade to the 10 ft as the weather gets better. Any input & comments would be appreciated, Guy.

Attachments

• DSC08888.JPG
    DSC08888.JPG
    839.1 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC08889.JPG
    DSC08889.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 228
  • DSC08890.JPG
    DSC08890.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 267
  • DSC08891.JPG
    DSC08891.JPG
    980.7 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC08894.JPG
    DSC08894.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC08896.JPG
    DSC08896.JPG
    725.3 KB · Views: 246
That's a cute little dish. Looks like it's in good shape, too.
Shame it doesn't have a proper mount under it, to take a motor of any sort.

There are only two things I'd suggest you re-think.
... and get some input from the other here.
- Why would you want to add Ku to it, if you intend to install it as a fixed dish?
- Installing a pole that size may not lend itself to putting a bigger dish on it in the future.
Of course, if you plan to put the 10 foot dish elsewhere, then never mind. :cool:

nice lil dish you will like it :)

one note the paint thats off the backside , this is probably caused by water getting into the frame and not finding a way to drain out before tematures got cold. shouldn't be a big problem but over time it weakens the frame and can cause it to burst. might need a drain hole.

a stationary dish is fine check out the lnbf , most likely its a voltage switched cal amp if this was so and you still plan to add ku . i would consife adding one of the prime focus ku lnbf's mounted offset (beside the c-band lnbf) ( its on sale at Sat AV for like $6)

don't know what size pole the mount will need like mentioned by anole but most larger dishes use a little larger poles.

good luck setting it back up :)

Good points Anole, here is what I am thinking. I wonder if it would be fairly easy to make this a polar mount? If I could do that then ku is a no brainer. I will see that certain birds offer as to wheather ku is feasible on a fixed dish.
You are right on the pole diameter as well, I should use the diameter that will work for the 10 ft, so I am ahead if the game.
That's a cute little dish. Looks like it's in good shape, too.
Shame it doesn't have a proper mount under it, to take a motor of any sort.

There are only two things I'd suggest you re-think.
... and get some input from the other here.
- Why would you want to add Ku to it, if you intend to install it as a fixed dish?
- Installing a pole that size may not lend itself to putting a bigger dish on it in the future.
Of course, if you plan to put the 10 foot dish elsewhere, then never mind. :cool:

Attachments

• DSC08903.JPG
    DSC08903.JPG
    711.3 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC08904.JPG
    DSC08904.JPG
    713.8 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC08911.JPG
    DSC08911.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 223
  • DSC08908.JPG
    DSC08908.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 208
Thanks for the input gabshere, I will clean it up and see if i can help the water issue. I put up a picture of the LNB, can you look at it & give me your input & maybe a link to the prime focus ku lnbf's?
Thanks, Guy
nice lil dish you will like it :)

one note the paint thats off the backside , this is probably caused by water getting into the frame and not finding a way to drain out before tematures got cold. shouldn't be a big problem but over time it weakens the frame and can cause it to burst. might need a drain hole.

a stationary dish is fine check out the lnbf , most likely its a voltage switched cal amp if this was so and you still plan to add ku . i would consife adding one of the prime focus ku lnbf's mounted offset (beside the c-band lnbf) ( its on sale at Sat AV for like $6)

don't know what size pole the mount will need like mentioned by anole but most larger dishes use a little larger poles.

good luck setting it back up :)

prime focus ku lnbf

EDIT this is the one thats on sale for $6

maybe somone will post a picture of one mounted

the lnb you have is a 30 degree on a polorotor so it will need something to change the polarity ( or like it is will only get one polarity) so some options will have to be worked out to control it ( your analog receiver will control it)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks guys, I have alot of catching up to do as far as c band technology, lol, but that is the fun part of it, you know? I went outside and did a quick site survey, I have a great line of sight to the south, 99W is east of that, correct?

yes

We have many satellite finders, but this one will print you out a PDF file with aiming info for all the birds you can see.
Just put in your zip code.

this is not an example from the above site:
Code:
[FONT=Fixedsys]...
                   Snohomish, Snohomish, Washington 98290
                Latitude 47° 55.854'N Longitude 122° 2.386'W

Sat Name, Sat Lng, Az(t), Az(m),    El,  Skew
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Intelsat Galaxy 16,   99.0W, 150.2, 133.0,  30.6, -19.5
[/FONT]

good find

Nice dish, first I think I would mix up some clorox and water and get rid of the green slime, haha. Then start with the wire brush on the mount and stuff, replace rusty bolts holding the panels together.
I'd prob throw that blue lnb away because of the name on it, but, seriously, a 15-17-20degree c-band lnb is cheap these days so you could do better than a 30, small dish will need a good lnb. Or lnbf if you decide to go to one of those.
The red wasps sure had a thing going on inside that feed cover.
Try it on 99 for c-band, or if you like NASA point it at AMC7, where you are, should get good signal for digital side of A7. You can point it at AMC6 , way east for you I guess, and get NASA and some CW channels on digital also.
Good luck with it.
Great pictures too!

I appreciate the input TS, a cleaning will be the first thing I do. I will hit the local carwash on my way home, then finish it at home. I think I will get it up & working, then replace the LNB to a 15-17, as you suggest. When I took the feedhorn cover off the wasps were actually in a sleepmode, I left them alone & they left me alone, lol.
What do you guys think about doing a a fixed lock on W5 @105?It has quite a few channels to offer & would suit my needs, with a entry level package for approx $25.00 per month. I assume the music on the 800's are still free? Will I be able to get a rehit on this bird?
Nice dish, first I think I would mix up some clorox and water and get rid of the green slime, haha. Then start with the wire brush on the mount and stuff, replace rusty bolts holding the panels together.
I'd prob throw that blue lnb away because of the name on it, but, seriously, a 15-17-20degree c-band lnb is cheap these days so you could do better than a 30, small dish will need a good lnb. Or lnbf if you decide to go to one of those.
The red wasps sure had a thing going on inside that feed cover.
Try it on 99 for c-band, or if you like NASA point it at AMC7, where you are, should get good signal for digital side of A7. You can point it at AMC6 , way east for you I guess, and get NASA and some CW channels on digital also.
Good luck with it.
Great pictures too!

I have 2 ( 6.ft ) by KTI both with polar mount there nice dishes i have one looking at NSS 806
Both the KTI and the Unimash dishes are smaller then 6 ft they are 5.9"

I got this up today & found C4, as I am watching HSN. Signal is 90, with a clean picture. I should find G1, for the Guide. I am somewhat confused on the adjustment. Here is a picture of the mount. I think I need some WD-40, do I have to undo the upper bolt off the rod to make a adjustment?

EDIT, the head of the adjuster is broken off, I will get a new one welded on.

Attachments

• DSC09130.JPG
    DSC09130.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC09132.JPG
    DSC09132.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC09131.JPG
    DSC09131.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Quality?

I thought with the 920, it shows quality as well as signal?

Attachments

• DSC09136.JPG
    DSC09136.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC09137.JPG
    DSC09137.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 167
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts