n00b: Polar/HH Mount vs. Azimuth and Elevation??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thauge

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 19, 2014
Indianola, IA
So, I'm planning out a FTA setup for my apartment and am looking into 1 meter+ antennas for it. Me being a complete n00b to satellite but an control and feature obsessed IT professional, what would be the best motorized mount for my antenna? I'm sure a polar or HH mount would meet most if not all of my needs, however independent 2 axis control has it's appeal. Any suggestions, recommendations, or success/horror stories?

All you would need for a 1 Meter is a good USALS Motor and that currently is the STAB. I use this one and it has worked great for years:

Reactions: scarecrovv
There's no advantage to having independent 2 axis control. All that accomplishes is more complexity.
Hope your balcony is south facing.

Fortunately, my deck is south facing. So, if my math is correct, I should be able to hit about every geosynchronous bird available in my geographical area (South Central Iowa) with a good single axis motor and positioner, correct? Aren't there some non geo-sat LEO birds transmitting stuff too? Like I said, new to pretty much anything sat related; I have no idea whats out there and available for the public. I know one of my old Paramedic partners (prior career) was big into amateur radio and would sometimes access some HAM satellites when they were in the area, but I'm guessing that is a different hardware setup.

Aren't there some non geo-sat LEO birds transmitting stuff too?
yeah, there are LEO satellites, but they don't transmit anything that a DVB (FTA) receiver will get.
HAM satellites when they were in the area, but I'm guessing that is a different hardware setup.
Totally different setup. Probably only need cross-polorized omni dipole vhf/uhf antenna for most of them. I recorded some from a micro-sat shortly before it's 'plunge' back into the atmosphere last year with a simple dipole[2 meter band]) Need a az/el (independent elevation/azimuth) BUD (10ft+ dish) for EME. (Earth-moon-earth)
I should be able to hit about every geosynchronous bird available in my geographical area
Check it at www.dishpointer.com

Ahh, ok, now you are speaking something I know about. ;) Can't go 10 years in EMS/Fire and not pick up radio stuff. I've been looking into amateur radio as well, but wanted to square away the entertainment options first. Any recommendations for a 1+ meter dish? I know Winegard makes a 1, but I think I can squeek by with a larger one and the apt managers not say anything.

well, a 1 meter dish is 'covered' by OTARD but if you can 'squeak' in a 1.2 meter, by all means do so. Although, I'd stick with a .9 or 1.0 meter if on a motor. Less 'load' on it. and will get more than 97%(guess) of 'what's out there. My 30 inch Channel Masters get ~90%(also a guess, but there's not much I miss) The Geosatpro dishes get good reviews. 'bay listing as do the Winegard, But a listing for anything but the 31 inch are rare it seems.

If you want separate azimuth and elevation control you will need a third axis, polarization control. I have never ran across anyone using that for a small offset dish. I have looked at commercial mounts for small prime focus dishes, around 3 meter. But I'm sure it's way more money than I want to think about. http://www.egis.eu/proxl_us.html

I've looked into Winegard, and have a antenna combiner from them for my TV antenna rig. If they had something in the 1.2 meter range, I'd probably snag it since it's an Iowa based company. From what I've learned here, I'll probably not go with a az/el mount since there really is no reason for it. I'll just invest that into a different setup for LEO stuff later on, if I get that crazy with all of this stuff. I see how it can be addictive.

yeah, there are LEO satellites, but they don't transmit anything that a DVB (FTA) receiver will get.

There's a DVB project on the ISS now. L-band or S-band, I don't remember which.

http://www.ariss-eu.org/
Main characteristics :

Downlink frequencies: 2.422 GHz, 2.437 GHz
Contingency frequencies : 2.369 GHz, 2.395 GHz
DVB-S like signal (without PMT tables)
Symbol rates: 1.3 Ms/s, 2.0 Ms/s
FEC : ½
Video PID = 256
Audio PID = 257
Antennas: ARISS 41 and ARISS 43 patch antennas on the nadir of Columbus
RF radiated power : approximately 10 W EIRP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)