Name Based Recording Discussion (L232 Software)

I always thought that nbr was a really overrated feature that everyone seemed to want. Maybe because I never seen it in action I always thought it was a overblown campaign to get it. The worse that happens now that I see is you set up a show to record weekly and the weeks it doesn't come on it records anyway. So what. I'm just so scared that this update will render my box unusable. But everyone seemed to want this very bad so maybe I just have to see it work to appreciate it.

^^ NBR is great when the same show appears on different channels (i.e. Sienfeld). My TiVo will pick up any airing of it on any channel.

Another advantage is when Survivor (or other show) has a Season Finale on a different night. If it weren't for my TiVo on another TV in my house - I would have missed Sunday's finale if I were to rely on my 522, or remembering to schedule a seperate timer for the finale.

Lastly, when certain shows run longer than expected, my TiVo will get the whole show - where my 522 with TBR (Timer Based Recording) will cut off the end. The last season of "Friends" was famous for the extended showings.

Shadowtester said:
Has anyone else noticed that the A/V sync and drop out problems seem to occur more often as the hard drive gets filled. That is with watching something off the hard drive I have very little A/V sync problem when I have less than 15 hours used on the hard drive however as the amount on the drive increases so does the amount of A/V sync problems. Then A/V drop outs seem to occur most often for me when both tuners are recording at the same time I almost always have a couple of A/V drops when both tuners start recording while I am watching a previous recorded show. ...

I've noticed this too. I've never had A/V sync or dropout problems on my TiVo - but it only has 1 tuner & 1 HDD.

If the same episode of the same show is on two, three, or so channels each day then will we see the same show on the DVR List two, three, or so times or will it only record it once? That could fill up some people's hard drives pretty quickly.

Also if you hide locked channels will it still try to record the show that you subscribe to? I ask this because some may want to hide the locked channels on particular ones that would give repeats if this does become a problem.

Shadowtester said:
Has anyone else noticed that the A/V sync and drop out problems seem to occur more often as the hard drive gets filled.

I haven't noticed the synch problems based on a filled HD, but I have noticed the synch problems occur on my machine most frequently when I'm recording two things at once AND I'm watching a playback simultaneously. And frankly, if that's what's causing my audio skips and sync problems, I'll live with them. The machines are fast enough, but we're talking about HUGE streams of data - 3 of them in the case of 2 recordings and a playback. That's enough to tax even the heftiest of PC's. Plus the machine is also monitoring recording data, and remote control inputs, and several other housekeeping tasks. I could definitely see how it might hiccup under these circumstances.

Don't get me wrong, if they state in the literature that the 522 should be able to perform these tasks, it should do it flawlessly. But I'm also saying that I can live with a few hiccups given the fact that I'm pushing this box to the hilt.

Maybe I'm not seeing as many problems with the sync and drop-outs as others are....

In any case - back to the original topic of this thread - WHOO HOO! NBR is coming! I was sorely disappointed to not see NBR addressed on yesterday's "Charlie Chat", especially when they went on and on ad nauseum about animal trivia. I'm glad they wasted the time in the technical forum to talk about bee stings.

Stargazer said:
Also if you hide locked channels will it still try to record the show that you subscribe to? I ask this because some may want to hide the locked channels on particular ones that would give repeats if this does become a problem.
You can't hide locked channels on a 522, so this question is moot at this point. Having it skip events on locked channels wouldn't be good idea either. Just because I lock a channel doesn't mean I don't want to watch it.

Any bets on how many unwanted "features" will accompany NBR? It seems that audio sync. problems started after version 2.xx and they still haven't been able to fix that one.
Will this update be a 2.1x or 3.xx?

maximum said:
Will this update be a 2.1x or 3.xx?
It will actually be 0.1alpha. :p :)

What I'm wondering is what this feature will do once the hard drive is filled up. A valid guess would probably be that it will start automatically deleting older recordings to make room. At least that's what I've heard it does currently (which I don't like) but I've never had the heart to try it out. But if we set up NBR and don't realize that later that evening TVLand will start their 3-day nonstop marathon of the show in question, we can kiss our existing events goodbye.

Stargazer said:
If the same episode of the same show is on two, three, or so channels each day then will we see the same show on the DVR List two, three, or so times or will it only record it once? That could fill up some people's hard drives pretty quickly..

Sorry to keep bringing up my TiVo here, but if the 522 NBR is anything like Tivo... with the TiVo you set it to "Keep At Most" 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or all episodes. I use that feature to keep 2 or 3 of my children's favorite cartoons that record daily. The episodes from the previous days will automatically delete as new ones are recorded.

TiVo also has a feature that detects if a certain episode has already been recorded within the past 28 days. You can set it to record just New showings, new and repeats (except if the same episode has been recorded in the past 28 days), or All Episodes - even if it's been recorded within the past 28 days.

Hopefully the 522 NBR will include some of the above options.

I wonder, just how many of these "Tivo-like" options can it include without inviting a patent lawsuit?

Well not to keep beating microsoft's drum but Media Center Edition has most of the features that TIVO has only they call it something else.

YAY! I got it!
I'm out the door to work, but I noticed on the update screen, after doing the disc check and program download, it said "your receiver's memory is now being updated." Sure enough, I have version L231. I was a 'tester' with the logging software. (I wonder if their data is lost now with the software update?)
Sure enough, I've got NBR. It will let you set priorities (my box evidently has 28 timers, all prioritized. I tried to set a new one, and it made that one 29 by default). Now it lets you choose 'all' episodes or 'new' episodes as well as the 'once' and 'M-F' options.
The funniest thing I noticed in my couple of minutes playing with it: DISH pass. HA! That lets you search ALL channels for a certian title, like TiVo I presume. Awesome!

I can't wait to get off work in 9 hours to mess around with it. Thanks to all (especially Scott) who broke this story. Now all I wonder about is some documentation. Anyone have an official guide to using it?
:D <------VERY HAPPY!!!

this may be too little too late for me. I wont a Directv DVR at the holiday party. I currently have an SD tivo Stand Alone. I guess I have a very tough decision to make dont i ... gulp

Pepper said:
I wonder, just how many of these "Tivo-like" options can it include without inviting a patent lawsuit?
I'm not a software development manager or a patent lawyer, but I don't think you can patent software. You can copyright it, so nobody can 'rox it directly, but I don't think you can stop someone from copycatting the features. Let me know if I'm wrong. I don't know what patents Tivo has been able to get on it's features.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts