NASA TV systemr

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

spareparts

Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
east coast
Hi Folks,
I volunteer at a Science-Technology Museum in Southern NJ. I would like to deploy a fixed mount C band system for NASA-TV as part of an exhibit. Here's the condition: The preference is US made / branded equipment (especially the big, easy to see stuff)

To that end: If anyone has a lead on an Andrew or Patriot C band dish with feed in the 8-12 range that on the east coast, please post.

Martin Flynn

PS - we are extremely low budget, so if anyone is aware of a system being de-commissioned, that's even better

I think -most- all BUDs were made in the US.
Too expensive to import them.

You've requested two very nice commercial dishes.
While I admire your choice, a nice perf or mesh BUD would be easier to find.
The perforated DH in my signature was free; the solid Birdview about $135.
Both are aluminum.
I'm not anxious to go more than $50 for a top of the line mesh, with -free- being preferred. :)

As for a receiver, I'd go with the microHD from SatelliteAV, or one of his dealers.
More than adequate, newest, PVR capability, and low cost.

Last edited:
You've requested two very nice commercial dishes.
While I admire your choice, a nice perf or mesh BUD would be easier to find.
The perforated DH in my signature was free; the solid Birdview about $135.

As for a receiver, I'd go with the microHD from SatelliteAV, or one of his dealers.
More than adequate, newest, PVR capability, and low cost.

Minor snag: While we would like to receive NASA-TV with the system, it is part of a walk-through display about satellite communications. The intent is be be as historically accurate as possible, hence the choices.

Thanks for the tip on the receiver. That we can hide in another (dead) chassis.

Martin

I hope your visitors can be made aware that they too can do this at home; every wide-eyed child who wants one should have their very own C-band dish under their control.

A good place to pick up old commercial equipment would be a small rural community cable provider that has been recently bought out by a larger sytem. The dishes are often abandoned.
How historically accurate do you want to be? Are we talking about the birth of DTH satellite viewing or satellite communications in general? There are a few analog channels still broadcasting that you could use old equipment to recieve. When I was installing C-Band dishes( I dug holes) in the beginning of DTH satellite systems, we installed mesh dishes. A Paraclypse is a fine example of satellite "eye candy" IMHO.

A good place to pick up old commercial equipment would be a small rural community cable provider that has been recently bought out by a larger sytem. The dishes are often abandoned.

Now I'm curious about the Comcast location in Bolton, CT (06043). That place changed names so many times I thought they'd start using velcro on their sign (TCI, United artists, maybe at one point cablevision?). They have a few big dishes, including one monster the size of the building.

Most museums send out flyers so often. Could the museum ask for an dish as donation on the flyers? At least it would be local.
My first dish was 7 1/2 foot 20 year old mesh dish that easily could receive NASA tv with ease here in N.C
A view weeks ago I replaced it with an 10 foot dish, but the 7 1/2 foot dish will be kept in storage.

Last edited:
Also look at local TV (radio) and cable provider stations... they might be willing to donate an unused unit. Get in touch with the manufacturers, this sort of application they might even donate a brand new one! Always worth a try... Tower riggers often have de-commissioned dishes that they take down from telco sites and are looking to sell... That reminds me I was going to talk to one of my buddies up here about some Andrews dishes that have appeared in their yard.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)