big old satelite dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
welcome to the forum, Take a look at Mike Kohls list of- ENGLISH Language Channels Available with Free-To-Air System C-Band (NOTE: some of what's available today, may not be there tomorrow,, as it's an ever changing "landscape". But a lot have been there for a long time, and probably will be for a long time to come. (If a channel isn't listed on LyngSat it's not 'talked' about in the open forums here. See the stickeys)
If nothing there interests you, and you'd like the yard cleared of the unwanted dish, maybe someone seeing a few pictures of the dish, may take it down for you. (Post them here) Don't expect much, if any, $. Scrap value is only around 50 bucks (minus your labor & gas getting it to the scrappers)

Welcome to SatelliteGuys Jason!!

Yep like fatair said there is plenty of FTA stuff to use it for. However, if you don't wanted someone will take it from you.

100's and hundreds of free channels you'll never have to pay for ; i watching untamed sports right now. so many, you'll have a blast finding them; and you can learn all about it here, on satelliteguys! welcome to big dish digging; the only way to fly for free on the air you own too!

I put up an old 7 1/2 foot dish not so long ago. It was laying behind a building dissembled for 15 years.
If you are looking for prime movie channels like HBO or Starz etc. you are pretty much out of luck.
But I must say that I get hundreds of channels with it which include movies to watch.
My dish was very old so I had to upgrade the electronics etc.
But here is my cost that I have invested in it.
$40 3'' pole 10 foot long, since it did not come with the dish.
$30 concrete to set pole.
$100 S10 receiver
$ 50 V-Box 7 to move dish to desired satellite.
$ 40 Bsc 621 Lnb
$ 0 RG 6 quad coaxcable, I had left over from my OTA install.
Total cost was $260
This is the best investment I ever made. I had an subscription with an provider before I had the dish and in less than 3 month my investment payed itself off, since I do not have reoccurring monthly bills ever since.
I also have OTA ( over the air ( regular tv antenna) which gives me 24 local channels.
My family is very happy with the selection of programming without having to pay an arm and an leg for it.
Members here are more than willing to help you.

Can you take some measurement of the dish and post a picture here?

Right!

There will be an investment and if you are looking for a return on your investment, just look at your monthly cable/satellite bill and multiply by 12. Johann has kept his investment to a minimum, and you can too.

Sure, subscription gets you 250 channels. But when I had them, I maybe watched a half dozen of those. I don't get the latest movies now, but my overall experience is better.

With cable or a small dish satellite subscription, you won't learn anything, you won't own anything ( or anything that might be useful after you terminate your service), and you will be paying through the nose for it, every month.

Learn something new. When you pay money, do it because you want to buy a new receiver or something - not because you are forced to by a nameless corporation. Be the envy of your neighbors. Be connected to the wider world.

I am looking just to get rid of this huge dish. I will try and post some pictures of it. I know a guy that had one in his back yard and sold it for some cash. I would very much like to do the same to this.

IMAG0059.jpgIMAG0057.jpgIMAG0058.jpgIMAG0056.jpg

So lucky to have that kind of resource already available to you with no effort. I wish the houses I moved into came with conveniently pre-installed C Band dishes.

Yes, see my signature. Hot links take you to pix.

Looks just like mine, which I think may have been made by DH Satellite as an OEM dish-blank for others to make into systems.
Yours looks like it was packaged by the same company as mine, though: AMCI. :)\
So, it has the same H-H Ajak motor.

Would you just happen to be in Palmdale? I retrieved an 8ft DH dish like it from there earlier this year.

Attachments

• 8ft DH w HtoH 009 (13).JPG
    8ft DH w HtoH 009 (13).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 259
  • 8ft DH w HtoH 009 (11).JPG
    8ft DH w HtoH 009 (11).JPG
    836 KB · Views: 221
I agree with everyone here. If you're after that one premium cable channel that you watch everyday (ESPN, HBO, Nickelodeon, etc) you won't find it with that satellite dish, call DirecTV. However, if you're looking for something you can't get on cable (random sports and news feeds without commercials are my favorite), and a fairly inexpensive and fun hobby, you've found the right place! Come college football and basketball season, there are more games to watch than I could possibly have time for, most in crystal clear HD quality without all that nasty compression or annoying commercials.

I love my BUD, it's amazing what there is to watch. Leaving the dish in your backyard would be a mistake. With what you have now, as little as a couple hundred dollars would open up a world of programming you never thought was possible. Combine that with an over-the-air antenna, and I'm sure you could care less about cable (unless there's that ONE channel you have to watch everyday...and even then, that BUD is a great, inexpensive supplement). It doesn't REPLACE cable for most families, but it's a great and inexpensive addition.

Yes, there is some technical know how to learn, but it's fun and it's worth it. No, it's not as easy as turning on the TV and flipping aimlessly for hours, but look at the price and quality difference. With cable, you're paying more for crappy quality for the convenience. With the BUD, you're paying nothing for great quality, with a little effort involved.

I am actually located in Lancaster. What would this one sell for?

Why don't you measure across the dish to check the diameter? Might help someone here decide if you really don't want it.

As to price, it would cost me quite a bit for fuel to make the trip & I already have one.
Most here would say the price would have to be FREE.

I met the guy that did the installs for these dishes earlier this year when I retrieved mine. He wasn't doing too well then. Nice guy.:(

What would this one sell for?
The real question is, what would it cost you in time, labor, and cleanup to remove and haul away?

You have a beautiful lawn, and I'm sure you want it looking as pretty once the dish is gone.
Try to find someone who wants it badly enough to do a clean removal.
The original yards of both my two dishes looked very well after harvesting.
The DH/AMCI was the easiest since I cut the pole at ground level.
But look at my Birdview thread, where we dug out the pole and concrete.
It was a.real mess. - :)

Oh, my DH was free, but there was truck rental, four meals for my crew, hardware & tiedown straps...
Yea, free was pretty expensive. :)
Of course, if you remove & deliver, we can talk price! - ;)

Posted from iPhone 4

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.