Nascar 2009

Jimbo

I think the reason they did this is because of where the next race is located. They should not have a race in FL and then move to CA the next week. It would not be bad if they could fly instead of driving across country. This is also with doing what ever repairs that need to be made prior to the trip. The second race should have been somewhere at least within a day's drive.

Again, not even close. This schedule has been in place for years. The only change is the off week , or the lack of, comoing up. I doubt you know that change. All teams know the schedule, and must adjust to make or sit out the next race.

Paul, I find that Nascar and golf both have the same problems at the end of the year. They tried to make a playoff type system but when the final race is run or round is played only one or two people have a chance to win. And most of the time the person that wins only has to not finish last. Hard to have one last finale if there is nothing to win or lose in the process.

OMG!!!! Again you are wrong. Every year that "The Chase" has been in place, it has come down to the last laps of the last race to decide the champian.

Golfers don't have to drive across country and fix their cars in the process.

Disputted this already.

HD you just don't get it. Once the race is over they pack up and go back to the shop to fix the cars and make any modifications that they need. Then they pack it back up in the trailer and drive across country. This all being done with enough time for testing and qualifying before the next race on Saturday or Sunday. Even if the car is not totally wrecked it still has a lot of work to be done on it prior to the next race.

Again!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess that the announcers just don't get it either as they said the exact same thing as me. Yes they have multi cars but they don't all just swap them out one week after another. And by test I mean testing the setup so that could also be practice. So I a sorry I will take their word over yours any day of the week.

The announcers are paid to say certain things to keep dip sheets like us tuned in. Example....If they say the race may not make it due to weather, do you think people will stay tuned in to that channel or network. NO.They are told to say these things to keep the folks tuned in. RATINGS!!!!!!

Your right you are not worth it. We will just choose to disagree and move on.

You deleted your other posts that I could, and was going, to rip apart just like your others.

Get your sh*t straight before you rip on my pals, "HD MM" and the other NASCAR fans.:mad::mad:

OMG!!!! Again you are wrong. Every year that "The Chase" has been in place, it has come down to the last laps of the last race to decide the champian.

And since you say I don't understand anything about Nascar can you please tell me how common it is for a driver to make up 141 points to win the cup on the last race? I was under the impression that this is a pretty tough task and it would not normally make it down to the last couple of laps to decide the champion.

Hey, Dad! I found a good one, I'm gonna DVR it.

42-17649321.jpg

Carry On!

And since you say I don't understand anything about Nascar can you please tell me how common it is for a driver to make up 141 points to win the cup on the last race? I was under the impression that this is a pretty tough task and it would not normally make it down to the last couple of laps to decide the champion.

Never mind as I figured it out. The winner of the race would receive a max of 195 points for winning, leading a lap and possible leading the most laps. This means that the leader in points would only have to make 54 points to tie in the championship. 36 place gets the driver 55 points. Wow that makes puts me on pins and needles the last race of the year to see somebody try to finish 36.:rolleyes: Yes I know it could happen but the odds of somebody finishing 36 or higher are pretty high.

Never mind as I figured it out. The winner of the race would receive a max of 195 points for winning, leading a lap and possible leading the most laps. This means that the leader in points would only have to make 54 points to tie in the championship. 36 place gets the driver 55 points. Wow that makes puts me on pins and needles the last race of the year to see somebody try to finish 36.:rolleyes: Yes I know it could happen but the odds of somebody the caliber we are talking about finishing 36 or higher are pretty good.

I guess we will also have to disagree on this point as I don't see this coming down to the last couple laps of the race.

And for all the testing comments I was speaking of practice and all the testing of the setup they do in the shop. Testing does not always have to talk about things on the track. As you stated they use sims and other devices to perform testing of the setups. Just wanted to make sure you knew where I was coming from on those comments.

Last edited:
Never mind as I figured it out. The winner of the race would receive a max of 195 points for winning, leading a lap and possible leading the most laps. This means that the leader in points would only have to make 54 points to tie in the championship. 36 place gets the driver 55 points. Wow that makes puts me on pins and needles the last race of the year to see somebody try to finish 36.:rolleyes: Yes I know it could happen but the odds of somebody the caliber we are talking about finishing 36 or higher are pretty good.

I guess we will also have to disagree on this point as I don't see this coming down to the last couple laps of the race.

And for all the testing comments I was speaking of practice and all the testing of the setup they do in the shop. Testing does not always have to talk about things on the track. As you stated they use sims and other devices to perform testing of the setups. Just wanted to make sure you knew where I was coming from on those comments.

You don't watch racing much then if you can't see it. If 2 or three drivers are separated by 20-100 points then it can come down to the final lap.

As an example of winning the title on the last lap, consider the 1992 championship:

Davey Allison led the points race going into the final race at Atlanta by 30 over Alan Kulwicki
Led Bill Elliiot by 40
Led Harry Gant by 97
Led Kyle Petty by 98

Given all the "situations" that can and did happen during the race which I really don't want to explain here (google 1992 Nascar Championship)

Bill Elliot won the race, Davey Allison finished sixth after being taken out by Ernie Irvins blown tire spin and wreck.

Alan Kulwicki won the Championship by finishing second. He won the title by ten points.
It was NOT clear who would win the championship until the LAST LAP!

He made up 278 points in the last six races.

While this doesn't happen every year it has happened before 1992 and has happened since. I don't have the stats at my fingers but there have been some that have been very close and some blowouts.

Just like any other sports.

Last edited:
You don't watch racing much then if you can't see it. If 2 or three drivers are separated by 20-100 points then it can come down to the final lap.

I understand under 100 points but when the one only had to finish 37 that does not normally come down to the last laps. His point was that ever year it has come down to the last laps and that is not the case.

I understand under 100 points but when the one only had to finish 37 that does not normally come down to the last laps. His point was that ever year it has come down to the last laps and that is not the case.

Ok. Take last years race at Homestead. There are 5 laps left. Jimmie Johnson needed to finish 37 to clinch the trophy. There are 39 cars on the lead lap. If Johnson was to get involved in a wreck, the possability was there for him to finish worse than 37th with just a few laps to go. This has been the case since the chase was started. The last year (2003) of the old format Kenseth clinched the title following a fourth-place finish at Rockingham in Week 35. Then it happened a lot. That's one of the main reasons Brian France established the chase format. It was pretty boring at the end on the seasone knowing a driver only had to start the last few races to clinch the title because he had such a huge points lead. NASCAR was losing viewers to the NFL. Now, it goes to the wire every year. HTH.

Ok. Take last years race at Homestead. There are 5 laps left. Jimmie Johnson needed to finish 37 to clinch the trophy. There are 39 cars on the lead lap.

So you are saying that in 5 laps only 18 people finished on the lead lap? and many of them finished 2 two 4 laps down and were still running at the time? Sorry but I don't think so. I can see 39 cars running at the time but they all were not on the lead lap. Either that or a lot of people just happened to run out of gas at the end.

Without getting into his records in Legends Cars and ASA, he was signed by Rousch at 16 and became the 2nd youngest driver to start a top division Nascar event in 2001 in the Craftsman Truck Series, but was removed from racing due to a new rule set by NASCAR disallowing anyone persons under the age of 18 to compete in NASCAR's top divisions.
At 18, he signed with Hendrick and won the 2004 Busch (Nationwide) Series Rookie of the Year with 5 wins (youngest race winner at that time), making him the record holder of most races won by a driver in their rookie season. Finished Runner-Up for the Busch (Nationwide) Series Championship.
It didn't take a rocket scientist to see the kid was as good as anyone in the history of the sport. He was promoted quickly because he was that talented...not because of his daddy's name.

By the way, since 2005:

Wins: Busch, 12; Earnhardt, 3
Runner-up: Busch, 11; Earnhardt, 4
Top-5s: Busch, 41; Earnhardt, 31
Top-10s: Busch, 63; Earnhardt, 54

I actually liked him when he way with Hendrick, then he decided he was too good for them, while not being able to win AT ALL ....
Now he's went to Gibbs and started winning, it's really to bad that he is so ARRAGANT, I might continue to follow him if he wasn't ....

Ever notice he's NEVER done anything wrong ? at least admitting to it.

Earnhardt makes a mistake and he'll tell you what happened and admit it if he made a mistake.

Curious, what were the numbers before last year ?

Jimbo

I was really starting to like what you've been saying, other than ripping others.
UNTIL you posted the above quote.

For the past several years the Championship winner has been known well before the last lap of the last race.

Jimmy Johnson had to go somewhere around half the race before he was determined the winner.

So you are saying that in 5 laps only 18 people finished on the lead lap? and many of them finished 2 two 4 laps down and were still running at the time? Sorry but I don't think so. I can see 39 cars running at the time but they all were not on the lead lap. Either that or a lot of people just happened to run out of gas at the end.

At the end of the final race at Homestead, race posistions 1-18 were on the lead lap. That was 267 laps total.
19-31 were on lap 266, 1 lap down.
32-35 were on lap 265, 2 laps down.
36-38 were on lap 264, 3 laps down.
39 was on lap 263.

Johnson won the title over Edwards by 69 points. So, if some thing would have happened to him that put him out, or 37th position or worse, within the last 3 or 4laps of the race, Edwards would have won the title. Edwards won the race and was awarded 195 points. 10 of those were bonus points. Johnson finished 15th with 123 points. 5 of his were bonus points. If Johnson would have slipped up and finished 37th, he would have lost the title by 1 point. So I believe it's safe to say, that it did in fact come down to the last laps.

I was really starting to like what you've been saying, other than ripping others.
UNTIL you posted the above quote.

For the past several years the Championship winner has been known well before the last lap of the last race.

Jimmy Johnson had to go somewhere around half the race before he was determined the winner.

I didn't rip others. I lashed out at one person, and I will admit, I was too harsh. That's over. I explain above on how it did in fact come down to the last few laps before Johnson was crowned the 2008 champian.

Here are the previous years since the chase format has been in place.

2004: Kurt Busch finished 5th at Homestead. Won the title over Jimmie Johnson, who finished 2nd, by only 8 points

2005: Tony Stewart finished 15th at Homestead. Won the title over both Greg Biffle, who won the race, and Carl Edwards, who finished 4th, by 35 points.

2006: Jimmie Johnson finished 9th at Homestead . Won the title over Matt Kenseth, who finished 6th, by 56 points.

2007: Jimmie Johnson finished 7th at Homestead. Won the title over Jeff Gorden, who finished 4th, by 77points.

Again, I think I'm safe in saying, it has come down to within the last handfull of laps to find out who captured the ttle.

At the end of the final race at Homestead, race posistions 1-18 were on the lead lap. That was 267 laps total.
19-31 were on lap 266, 1 lap down.
32-35 were on lap 265, 2 laps down.
36-38 were on lap 264, 3 laps down.
39 was on lap 263.

Like I have said before this is up to interpretation. Having a race come down to the final lap or two means that I am on the edge of my seat sweating it out. This was not the case during this race. It was pretty much a forgone conclusion to me that Johnson had won it well before then. Others thought the exact same thing so this one will could be debated forever as there is no clear cut answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)