Nascar 2020

This is NASCAR's big chance. The highest rated thing on any sports channel in almost 2 months have been the NFL draft by Zoom and a show about a 25 year ago basketball player. Horse racing is getting attention not seen since the 1960s. Networks are trying to pick up baseball from Taiwan and Korea. What would have been an obscure Netflix show about some idiot who owned tigers is a national meme.

Further the movies are closed, the theatre is closed, everything is closed. Significantly, sports bars, where a lot of people consume sports (and don't count in the ratings) are closed.

Into this come NASCAR. The first live sports in this country with anything resembling mainstream appeal. All by itself with no competition not only from other sports, but with Hollywood shut down, no original network shows either.

A lot of questions about just how much potential remains in this sport, with all of Brian's mistakes.

No practice, no qualifying. What kind of racing will that give us?
From what I read and heard there will be practices and qualifying for the Charlotte Races. All three divisions Xfinity,Truck and Nascar. I suspect the reason why no practices etc. was they wanted to get the races up and running to see what happens and then go from there. They will probably be back to normal after Charlotte if things go well.:car

Reactions: Elsguy and DWS44
So, they are going to have Cup Races on Sunday AND Wednesday ....
Or is Wednesday a Rerun of Sunday ? It doesn't look like thats what they are saying, but it seems like it takes longer than that to build cars ...

Did I read something in that article that seem to say that theres no back up cars ?

As for the Charlotte 600 mile race .... they are going to run that 2nd in the list coming back, knowing that that particular race is the LONGEST and Hardest of the year on the Cars and drivers ... sounds to me like a Bad place to run that one ...

So, they are going to have Cup Races on Sunday AND Wednesday ....
Or is Wednesday a Rerun of Sunday ? It doesn't look like thats what they are saying, but it seems like it takes longer than that to build cars ...

Did I read something in that article that seem to say that theres no back up cars ?

As for the Charlotte 600 mile race .... they are going to run that 2nd in the list coming back, knowing that that particular race is the LONGEST and Hardest of the year on the Cars and drivers ... sounds to me like a Bad place to run that one ...

Yes, completely separate Cup series races on Sunday and Wednesday at both Darlington and Charlotte.

Full schedule:
1588429017556.png

The three "extra" Cup races (Both Darlington and Charlotte Wednesday 500km) are intended to replace races at some tracks that are not expected to be allowed to host races due to local/state restrictions. For example, as of now, its thought that neither Sonoma or Watkins Glen :)() will be allowed to host races. (Side Note...I feel like they should get crazy and add a Cup race at Road Atlanta if they honestly think they are going to lose both traditional road course races. Road Atlanta would be within the "driving distance" requirements for the early return events.)

As for the cars, most of the teams, at least the bigger ones, have a fleet of them prepared. In this case, part of the reason they chose Darlington was because that, before the shutdown, teams had cars lined up for a three-week run of Atlanta, Homestead, and Texas...all of which are the same package that would run Darlington and Charlotte. IOW, even the smaller teams should be fairly well prepared, car-wise.

And as far as the Coke 600...I'm sure NASCAR is banking on that being a windfall for them. Unless something comes apart during the Darlington weekend, health-wise...they basically get to keep one of their crown jewels and Memorial Day traditions in place...AND for the first time, they get the motorsports world to themselves with the Indy 500 postponed, and F1 in Monaco cancelled. I'm sure they had their mouths watering at that scenario.

Last edited:
This is NASCAR's big chance. The highest rated thing on any sports channel in almost 2 months have been the NFL draft by Zoom and a show about a 25 year ago basketball player. Horse racing is getting attention not seen since the 1960s. Networks are trying to pick up baseball from Taiwan and Korea. What would have been an obscure Netflix show about some idiot who owned tigers is a national meme.

Further the movies are closed, the theatre is closed, everything is closed. Significantly, sports bars, where a lot of people consume sports (and don't count in the ratings) are closed.

Into this come NASCAR. The first live sports in this country with anything resembling mainstream appeal. All by itself with no competition not only from other sports, but with Hollywood shut down, no original network shows either.

A lot of questions about just how much potential remains in this sport, with all of Brian's mistakes.
NASCAR is still a niche sport, they won't grab any new eyeballs that they didn't have before. Unless there is a huge mega wreck or the track melts again they won't grab casual viewers.

It is a niche sport that has lost 2/3rds of its niche in less than a decade and a half.

The ratings it gets in the next few weeks will be an indication of what potential is left. If NASCAR gets something like what it has been getting, then it is certain that further declines toward unsustainability is inevitable.

It is a niche sport that has lost 2/3rds of its niche in less than a decade and a half.

The ratings it gets in the next few weeks will be an indication of what potential is left. If NASCAR gets something like what it has been getting, then it is certain that further declines toward unsustainability is inevitable.
I just can't see basketball or hockey fans saying, hey let's watch NASCAR.

It also depends on weather they decide to Promote and advertise it well between now and then ...

If Only Nascar fans know about it, then. no the ratings won't be any better.

They ALSO have to make sure those that may see advertising for the race KNOW that its NOT i racing, or whatever they called the simulation races.

1993 Daytona 500 for me.

The day I became a DJ fan after The Dale & Dale Show. It' didn't matter to me that he drove a Chevy, all that mattered was he beat out that jackhole in the #3.

Reactions: DWS44
Unfortunately, I only caught the last portion of his career .... It wasn't till the Jeff Gordon era that NASCAR was on TV for more than just the Daytona 500.
So, Ya, I've been an Earnhardt fan, Sr and Jr ....
Also follow the Hendrick guys once Earnhardt passed.
My Dad also is a Big Gordon fan so that has something to do with that too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts