Nascar 2020

I get what you all are saying. I know there are important issues at play in the world right now, but I sure do miss the days when sports were just there for entertainment and a way to escape for a little while...now sports are just increasingly another way to shove all the world's troubles back in your face again. NASCAR is so ingrained in me, it would take a lot to walk away from it, at least as long as Harvick is still out there...he's kinda the last link to the drivers I grew up rooting for as a kid in the 80's. Not sure after that, but hopefully I'll latch on to someone. That said, I find myself less and less interested in the other pro/college sports...even though I grew up a big fan of nearly all of them as well.
Me being an Earnhardt fan, went from Dale Sr, to Jr, once Jr gave it up, well before he retired I then followed Gordon, which was the Anti when Sr was around once the Earnhardts moved on, I followed Hendricks and then Harvick and now Chase ...

I find, if you can't find someone to follow, its easy to walk away.

Me being an Earnhardt fan, went from Dale Sr, to Jr, once Jr gave it up, well before he retired I then followed Gordon, which was the Anti when Sr was around once the Earnhardts moved on, I followed Hendricks and then Harvick and now Chase ...

I find, if you can't find someone to follow, its easy to walk away.
I couldn't have said it better......Except for the Gordon part lol. :)

When France finally got a DUI he could not buy his way out of and resigned, I had hope that new management might see the deep mistakes he made and start on the path to correction. Alas, neither in the race car formula, still based on the failed COT concept; nor in the race and season format, still based on the idiotic segments and playoff ideas; nor in the understanding of who NASCAR fans are and their desire to be free of one-sided politics and social opinions with which most disagree and just watch the race, NASCAR just does not get it.

Did anyone hear why Kevin Harvick ran so poorly after the final restart other than battery/alternator problems? If you're not in the top five or so they don't talk about you much. I didn't see any interviews either. Thanks.

Did anyone hear why Kevin Harvick ran so poorly after the final restart other than battery/alternator problems? If you're not in the top five or so they don't talk about you much. I didn't see any interviews either. Thanks.

Just a rough third stage all around. Handling went away after the end of stage 2. While it wasn't ideal, they actually had the battery situation under control... just the car ended up so tight he could barely make it through the turns on that last long green flag run. He was also burning up in the car after turning off all the fans and such to control the battery situation.

I listen to the team radio via NASCAR Scanner subscription...makes a big difference in knowing what is actually happening during the race.

Interesting News last night...All-Star race moved to Bristol! :clapping

That ought to be one heck of a show. TN Governor to allow 30K fans in attendance. Loved going to Bristol for many years and always wished they'd run an All-Star race there. I'd be fighting to be among those 30K for sure if my Dad was still able to attend with me!

Now...that said...I'm not a fan of the new paint scheme "concept" they are going to be trying for that one race. NASCAR keeps hinting they want to move the door numbers elsewhere on the side to allow for more sponsor visibility. Can't we keep a few traditions in place while everything else keeps changing?!? Anways...This was the concept photo NASCAR sent to the teams:

1592326657925.png

( :hatsoff to the graphic artist for throwing Cole Trickle's name above the door, though! LOL)

What real purpose does the "all-star race" really serve anymore?

In the good times, the thinking was clear.

- NASCAR had, while running the Coca-Cola/World 600 on Memorial Day Sunday, generally gone light in May generally due to Indy's month long deal.
- Cigarette ads were illegal on TV, but Winston plastered its name on everything to do with NASCAR. But the TV networks, particularly the broadcast networks, were cautious, with CBS calling the Winston Cup the "national championship" and the Winston 500 the "Alabama 500" among other things.
- Flag to flag coverage was still a relatively new idea, particularly on broadcast TV, and it was still an unknown as to what the reaction to 3 to 4 hours of racing would be.
- NASCAR was reluctant to "fiddle with the formula" with gimmicks and such.

Thus "The Winston". Sticking NASCAR's toe into the May water, with no other generic name so the TV had to call it that, and a short event, filled with gimmicks, wrapped up in about 90 minutes. Despite the fact that, really one of the points of NASCAR is EVERY RACE IS AN ALL STAR RACE.

Today none of those things are true. Indy has decline to a tiny niche of fans. RJR is long gone. Every race has been flag to flag plus hours of practice, qualifying and pre-race for years. And NASCAR seems to have a Department of Dumb Ideas spewing out gimmicks in the regulars season on a weekly basis.

Reactions: osu1991 and Elsguy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts