National HD Feed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dog271914

Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Is there anyway to receive the national HD feeds from Direct TV? I have been denied the waivers and have spent nearly $300 on OTA equipment with little to no luck. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

dog271914
Were your waivers applied electronically by DirecTV? or did you contact the stations yourself?

When I first tried to get the national HD feeds last January, DirecTV applied for the waivers electronically on my behalf. First I only got FOX HD, then NBC & CBS HD feeds a month later.
I only got ABC HD turned on this last month after talking to the local ABC station who had denied the waiver. They do not even broadcast a digital signal yet.

My FOX & ABC HD waivers had to be approved by 2 stations for each network in my case. Sometimes 2 same affiliate stations may claim your area, this can be a nightmare.

I had to call DirecTV to find out who had denied my waivers, and to which stations they were applied to, DirecTV was very helpful in this regard.

Or you can "move" to another area, I know a few people who do this to get the networks in areas D* doesn't provide locals for yet.

I had D submit the waiver request. How can you find which DMA's are eligible for HD national feeds?

philhu said:
if you 'moved' to a town that gets the national hd feeds, you can get them.
You'd need a po box or whatever

I don't believe you can use a PO Box for the actual physical addy - it must be a "real" address. (for the billing address is OK)

Yes, this IS the easiest way to get all the HD feeds with less muss & fuss... :)

dog271914 said:
I had D submit the waiver request. How can you find which DMA's are eligible for HD national feeds?

So you are not wasting you time, ANY of the new MPEG4 HD LIL markets are NO longer eligible for the national HD feeds for new customers, such as Chicago, Detroit, etc. And all of the existing subs in those same markets will eventually loose them as well.

Also, keep in mind that even those markets (O&O as they are called) that were eligible, not ALL locations in that market were - if you were close enough to an adjacent market for those networks, they can deny you or require waivers as well. (such as on the outskirts of the Chicago DMA)

If you move to the NY or LA area, or if you move to a white area, is going to be your best bet at getting those HD network feeds.

I typed in my zip code in the Direct TV website and it says that I am eligible for NBC and CBS. Those are two of the three networks that I can currently receive OTA. ABC is the one I am having problems with. I think I am going to call Direct TV anyway and secure NBC and CBS while I can. Maybe talk them into ABC who knows, I am sure it depends on who answers the call. You can get a million different answers to the same question at that place.

Don't they send a Bill to this address you "move " to?

Some ppl I know doing this, keep their current PO Box, etc, but tell D* that the equipment is at a dif physical address.
However the ppl doing this are only "moving" one town or county over from where they currently are, I dunno how this works if you tell D* that your equipment is 100's of miles from the address where the bill is received......

I called D last night to get the distant network HD feeds. The first lady I talked with was trying to give me all of them. She could not get it to work so she sent me to tech support. Since it was HD they then sent me to another department where I was on hold for nearly 30 minutes before I finally gave up to watch the Rose Bowl. I suppose they answered the same time I hung up. I will try again tonight.

Use this link to find eligibility:
http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressEntry.asp

I just ordered a H20 and found out I'm eligible for ABC, NBC & FOX DNS. So, I call D* to confirm, and the guy says, "Yeah, you're eligible, but you'll need an off-air antenna." HUH?!?! I ask him again, "So, to get NBC, ABC & FOX in HDTV from D*, I need an off-air antenna??" His reply, "Yeah."

What an idiot. I called back 5 minutes later, got some Indian guy and had him send the waivers in for me, no problems. By the time I get approved (he said -- I think -- 30-45 days), I could be getting MPEG4 locals. We'll see.

I finally got through to HD-eligibility last night. Their web site says that I am eligible for NBC and CBS, however they told me that in order for them to hook up the national HD feeds I need to have waivers to receive the standard feeds. I have been denied in the past from receiving these. After arguing for about 20 minutes they are going to re-submit the waivers again, so I can be turned down again. I do not understand why their web site says that I am eligible when I am aparently not. I think I will call back again. Might get different results.

dog271914
It could be that you may be eligible, but another same network affiliate might claim the area you live as well. In my case I had 2 ABC stations and 2 FOX stations that claimed my area.

If you read the text on the D* website it says: If you cannot see a picture on channel -- or --, and you live in one of these markets, you may need to obtain a waiver from one or more non-local --- affiliates. This can take up to 45 days to process.

HD channels other than the standard D** package?

can anyone tell me what the plans are for extended HD channels other than those in the required package. when will we get tnt and others in hd and will i need the new mpeg 4 and 5 lnb box to get these or will i be able to get them with my mpeg 2 box and 3 lnb??

My zip code is 52501. If you type this into their website it will tell you that I am eligible to receive FOX, NBC, and CBS. I live 15 miles from a FOX tower but 85 miles from the NBC and CBS tower. It also says that I am not eligible for the standard channels. According to D I must first have the standard channels to get the Digital channels.

Playing with zipcodes

So say you live in a "zipcode" in bfe and it says that you are elegible to receive CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC. Do you still have to go through all that rigamorole of waivers to get the national feeds? Or will they automatically turn on when you give them your "new" address with the "magic" zipcode? Has anyone tried this succesfully? :D

Getting an acceptable picture is not the issue. Someone, somewhere, somehow, there will be an affiliate that claims your DMA. Its not right but thats what they do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts