Native mode.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rusc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2018
Columbia SC
Who all has this turned on? I was getting judder and picture jumping on ESPN during football games. I turned native on and it seemed to have stopped. Anyone know details about native?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I can never remember which is which, but one way lets the recvr do the processing, while the other passes the info thru the recvr directly to the TV, so if your TV has the better processor thats the way you'll want to go ...
If you set it up so the recvr just passes the info it takes longer to change channels ... (lot of people don't like that) as the recvr and the TV both do the work.

One of the others will come in with a better explanation.

Reactions: rusc
Native on: your receiver and TV will switch to the native resolution that the channel is broadcast on. Example: If you're watching ESPN, Fox, etc. it will be in 720p. If you're watching NBC, Discovery, etc it will be in 1080i. If you're watching an SD channel, the interface will be displayed SD, if you have 480i or p checked. When changing between channels of different resolution, it will take it an extra second or three to change and everything will go black during that time. Some will say that it produces a better picture, but that is very unlikely that they can actually see any difference. It is very unlikely that there even is a difference.

Native off: Everything is "upscaled" to 1080i and channel changes go smoother. That is the only difference. If you go to channel 125, 1117, or download something in 1080p, it still treats it like native is on and will switch to 1080p. Again, not that there is much, if any, of a difference. It's just easier to leave it off, I suppose unless you're a deep pureist, unless you've found something here with the judder......

As for the reduction of judder, I guess it's possible that you'd see it less with one vs. the other, but I don't know enough about that to know for sure. I wouldn't be surprised. I'll try it myself if that seems to happen for me.

Reactions: rusc
How does native on and native off work when you're watching 4k programming? Thanks for your help.

Native on: your receiver and TV will switch to the native resolution that the channel is broadcast on. Example: If you're watching ESPN, Fox, etc. it will be in 720p. If you're watching NBC, Discovery, etc it will be in 1080i. If you're watching an SD channel, the interface will be displayed SD, if you have 480i or p checked. When changing between channels of different resolution, it will take it an extra second or three to change and everything will go black during that time. Some will say that it produces a better picture, but that is very unlikely that they can actually see any difference. It is very unlikely that there even is a difference.

Native off: Everything is "upscaled" to 1080i and channel changes go smoother. That is the only difference. If you go to channel 125, 1117, or download something in 1080p, it still treats it like native is on and will switch to 1080p. Again, not that there is much, if any, of a difference. It's just easier to leave it off, I suppose unless you're a deep pureist, unless you've found something here with the judder......

As for the reduction of judder, I guess it's possible that you'd see it less with one vs. the other, but I don't know enough about that to know for sure. I wouldn't be surprised. I'll try it myself if that seems to happen for me.

Native on is only for the hardcare pureists who think they see a difference or want it to be displayed in the true resolution, for whatever reason. There really is no difference in quality and the delay in channel changes is too annoying. How anyone can leave it "on" is beyond me. I don't know how it works from experience, but I would assume that it would work like 1080p and it would change to 4k regardless if you have it on or off.

Native on is only for the hardcare pureists who think they see a difference or want it to be displayed in the true resolution, for whatever reason. There really is no difference in quality and the delay in channel changes is too annoying. How anyone can leave it "on" is beyond me. I don't know how it works from experience, but I would assume that it would work like 1080p and it would change to 4k regardless if you have it on or off.

Simply personal preference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IF, they could do away with the lag on changing channels I would use my Native mode so that the TV technology does the work, but I don't like the delay in changing channels.

That will be changing with HDMI 2.1.

What does HDMI 2.1 do to prevent that? Even if it does something to help speed up the resolution adjustment on a TV when the source changes, you'd need HDMI 2.1 on both sides to make it work. Since 4Kp120 4:2:0 10bpp only needs about 15 Gbps, I don't think we are going to see any HDMI 2.1 Directv gear. Unless you think there will ever be 8K broadcasts, which IMHO is a fantasy.

Many people with DVR's DON'T "change channels", because we DVR everything, so that we can watch on OUR terms (ie: watch what/when we want, skip commercials, etc.) & let our DVR's that we're paying for, do the work of "changing channels"; therefore we don't care about "channel change" times, which aren't THAT bad anyway for the rare occasions to do as such. ALWAYS Native ON here, except for the stupid E* receivers that never had sense enough to offer this. :rolleyes:

Many people with DVR's DON'T "change channels", because we DVR everything, so that we can watch on OUR terms (ie: watch what/when we want, skip commercials, etc.) & let our DVR's that we're paying for, do the work of "changing channels"; therefore we don't care about "channel change" times, which aren't THAT bad anyway for the rare occasions to do as such. ALWAYS Native ON here, except for the stupid E* receivers that never had sense enough to offer this. :rolleyes:
You still change channels when you change shows on your DVR....

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

First of all I believe in native being set to on.

The only real time you get a delay in channel is when the resolution changes from standard to HD or vice versa.

But it’s worth it considering so many issues that native resolution resolves

Reactions: dishrich
You still change channels when you change shows on your DVR....
Whatev...the (very) small delay is STILL not a big deal for many people; matter of fact, if the native setting was actually mandatory, the majority of viewers would not even give it a thought.
But that's what's great about at least having the choice...you can still have it so you're saving yourself that precious couple of extra seconds that is just "too annoying" to deal with.

First of all I believe in native being set to on.

The only real time you get a delay in channel is when the resolution changes from standard to HD or vice versa.

But it’s worth it considering so many issues that native resolution resolves
What issues? Unless you have a scalewr in the TV that is visually better then the directv box I can see no point in having native set to "on', except possibly for 4K TVs. See Think again about DIRECTV's "Native mode." - The Solid Signal Blog

Whatev...the (very) small delay is STILL not a big deal for many people; matter of fact, if the native setting was actually mandatory, the majority of viewers would not even give it a thought.
But that's what's great about at least having the choice...you can still have it so you're saving yourself that precious couple of extra seconds that is just "too annoying" to deal with.

Flip back and forth between a game on CBS and Fox and tell me how fast those extra seconds add up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)