NBA 2008-09 Season

All joking aside, to me Kobe is still the best player in the world. With a Lebron a close 2nd and Wade not to far behind. BUT IF the Heat make the playoffs, D-Wade WILL be the league MVP.

If you still think this after reading my post #631, I simply don't know what else to say. I've shared my case in favor of LeBron. I guess we'll just wait and see.....

First there was the "No regard for human life" dunk. Now there is another spectacular play by LeBron that was coined by an NBA announcer; the "we just became somebody's highlight flim"!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1PEO1kGhgo"]LeBron's victims: "Don't go in ... we just became somebody's highlight film"[/ame]

TNT Selects Barkley's Fill-In

The Czar (Mike Fratello) will join Ernie, Kenny and Chris Webber before the network's pair of games tomorrow night.

TNT NBA Thursday returns on Thurs., January 15 with an action-packed doubleheader. Tipping off the night’s action will be LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers visiting the Windy City to battle Derrick Rose and the Chicago Bulls at 8 p.m. ET. Marv Albert will call the action alongside Reggie Miller (analyst) and Craig Sager (reporter). The second game of the doubleheader features Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns taking on Chauncey Billups and the Denver Nuggets. Kevin Harlan (play-by-play) and Doug Collins (analyst) will be courtside with Cheryl Miller reporting. The night will conclude with the Emmy® award-winning studio show Inside the NBA presented by Hyundai with Ernie Johnson (host), Kenny Smith (analyst), Chris Webber (analyst) and Mike Fratello (analyst).
No word on how long Barkley will be on leave.

Countdown to Monday January 19th

LeBron v. Kobe
Kobe v. LeBron

In a little more than five days, LeBron James and the Cavaliers will travel to Los Angeles to take on Kobe Bryant and the Lakers. It is their first meeting of the season, and only the 10th meeting ever between the two superstars. Kobe has three rings, yet none without Shaquille O'Neal. LeBron has been crowned the king since his arrival in 2004, but has only one Finals appearance. LeBron fills a stat sheet in incredible ways; Kobe won the MVP last season. Kobe is the embodiment of lethal precision; LeBron the next step of athletic evolution.

In a season filled with "Games of the Year," this is unquestionably the Game of the Year.

The Lakers started the season with a dominance rarely seen in the league. They've trailed off a bit, particularly defensively, but the question is whether it represents a fundamental flaw or a lack of interest in the regular season. The fact is they share the league's best record, have won convincingly and consistently, and feature an incredible lineup. Pau Gasol on the inside with Andrew Bynum. Experienced dream killer Derek Fisher at point, The Machine Sasha Vujacicthe shooter off the bench, and the instant energy Trevor Ariza. Cleveland, on the other hand, has the best incarnation with James it has ever had, hitting on all cylinders on offense as well as defense. The addition of Mo Williams has sparked the backcourt with Delonte West and Daniel "Boobie" Gibson, and provided James with the offensive weaponry he has long asked for. The game's supporting cast make up a formidable set of rotations, deep and versatile.

But ultimately, everything comes back to Kobe vs. LeBron. Through their nine meetings, LeBron owns the series, 6-3, leading in points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks, but also leading in turnovers. He's outperformed Kobe in FG% and, amazingly, 3 point shooting, but of course trails at the stripe.

This matchup represents something greater when you take it to the philosophical level. Kobe is so often compared to Jordan, and for a long time, it was merely due to them both being guards and the level of greatness that Kobe has risen to. It's an unfair comparison for dozens of reasons, but there is an intricate link between the two, and it is what separates him from LeBron. Kobe is the natural evolution of the path Jordan set. Not better, but the final link in the elite shooting guard chain: The post-up turnaround fadeaway, the running leaner, the quick striking dunks, the shut-down man defense. Everything that an NBA player is supposed to be at his height, Kobe has become. And while he may never reach the level of Jordan (and I'm not definitively saying he won't), he's to be considered in that line. He's the modern payoff for the work of history.

LeBron, on the other hand, could be considered the next step in basketball evolution. While it's true we've seen point forwards before, players with power that could pass, who could drive and could handle, we've never seen this combination. And the haters will note how easy it has come to James. While Bryant has had to work endlessly, mercilessly, to become the greatest he can be, LeBron is largely more athletically gifted than 99% of the planet. This matchup represents precision built by resolve versus lethal efficiency built by determination. Kobe wills himself to be better than you, better than anyone; LeBron asserts self-determination to be a force of nature.

And, as always, something's gotta give.

What will be lost in the breakdown of shooting, living up to their own standards, and in each team's finals hopes is how amazing these two players are, and how incredible it is that we get to see their careers intersect. It's a golden era of basketball we live in, and this game is a shining example. Where amazing hap...no. Hope you'll enjoy it. I know I will.

NBA FanHouse

Lebron and Kobe are the top two players in the league. Wade is not in that discussion. He's in the discussion for number three, however, with players like Paul, Howard, etc.

Sandra

As if all of you readers haven't been drowned to death with enough LeBron news, here's more. :)

LeBron James will be featured in next month's GQ magazine. (As an aside, I'm glad to see the skinny black tie making a comeback. :))

lebron-james-gq-214x300.jpg

The entire interview can be found HERE> LEBRON-21, GQ-2: GQ Features on men.style.com

The Celtics ended their first half at 32-9 after a 118-86 drubbing over the Nets last night.

That prorates to a 64-18 season- which is great- BUT, after going 66-16 last season and starting this season 27-2 it's just a tad disappointing.

The Celtics go on what is, IMO, their toughest stretch of the season starting January 19 through Feb. 23. In that span they have road games at Detroit, Orlando, Miami and Philly, and home games against Phoenix, Dallas, San Antonio and the Lakers.

To cap it all off, they have a six game western swing that includes games in New Orleans, Dallas, Utah, Phoenix and Denver.

The Celtics ended their first half at 32-9 after a 118-86 drubbing over the Nets last night.

That prorates to a 64-18 season- which is great- BUT, after going 66-16 last season and starting this season 27-2 it's just a tad disappointing.

The Celtics go on what is, IMO, their toughest stretch of the season starting January 19 through Feb. 23. In that span they have road games at Detroit, Orlando, Miami and Philly, and home games against Phoenix, Dallas, San Antonio and the Lakers.

To cap it all off, they have a six game western swing that includes games in New Orleans, Dallas, Utah, Phoenix and Denver.

DUDE....no offense...but who cares about the regular season! All the Celtics need is to be a top 4 seed...and they will be fine. IF they were to be a #3 seed and win the NBA championship....no one will give a ratz ass about the regular season...it is ALL about the ring! :up

DUDE....no offense...but who cares about the regular season! All the Celtics need is to be a top 4 seed...and they will be fine. IF they were to be a #3 seed and win the NBA championship....no one will give a ratz ass about the regular season...it is ALL about the ring! :up

You're right, the regular season is definitely anti-climatic.

BUT, I really think the Celtics need HCA against Cleveland.

Hell, they won the championship last season despite losing 9 postseason games on the road! :eek:

Hell, they won the championship last season despite losing 9 postseason games on the road! :eek:

If the Celtics did not have home court advantage last season, they may not have even beaten Atlanta. Home court matters in the NBA.

Sandra

No you don't...really. IF your team is good enough, home court means NOTHING. And the Celtics are that good.

And your opinion is otherwise, which is OK. You live in Florida, your opinion has to be otherwise!

Sandra

Here we go again.....Look, YOU get generic opinions about Florida as we do about the NY/NJ area. YOU have access to local information that WE don't...and visa versa. YOU expressing your opinion based on what you here nationally/generically.

Not a matter of a pissing contest of WHOs opinion is right or wrong....it a matter of a local vs a national opinion.

So if you want, "YES....your toy is better than my toy" Feel better?....:rolleyes:

If the Celtics did not have home court advantage last season, they may not have even beaten Atlanta. Home court matters in the NBA.

Sandra

If I was born with at 6-2 than 5-9...I may have been able to dunk a basketball....

..in a 5/7 games series, the best/better team will more than likely win out. Home court in the NBA does not mean much IF you have a good team play hot at the right time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)