NBA 2008-09 Season

Since 1997, the #1 seeds have only won it all 5 times. That ALONE tells you home court does not mean much.

Yes, the #1 seed wins the championship more often than any other seed. That's correct.

And last year, the home team went 14-1 in playoff series. 14-1 !!!

The NHL is a different story for a multitude of reasons, but in the NBA, the home team is the best team and has a huge advantage.

The Celtics would be wise to finish number one. Then they could let the Magic and Cavs battle it out in the conference semis, and wait for the winner in the conference finals.

14-1 !!!!!!!!!

Sandra

Yes, the #1 seed wins the championship more often than any other seed. That's correct.

The NHL is a different story for a multitude of reasons, but in the NBA, the home team is the best team and has a huge advantage.

The Celtics would be wise to finish number one. Then they could let the Magic and Cavs battle it out in the conference semis, and wait for the winner in the conference finals.

14-1 !!!!!!!!!

Sandra

Agreed. And to take it a step further, last year the Celtics were 13-1 at home and 3-9 on the road in the playoffs.

And to take it a step further, let's review a larger sample piece......

Take for instance the regular season home/away records. Currently, of all 30 NBA teams, only 2 teams have a better road record than at home (Clippers and Nets).

What does this show? 93% of the league wins more games at home than away.

Sometimes injuries are a blessing in disguise. I don't know how long West is out, but the bench will get some very valuable playing time, which will help you come the "real season".

14-1 !!!!!!!!!

Sandra

I was going recently....since 1997, the #1 seeds ONLY one it 5 of last 12 years. IF you wanna go back to the dark ages before you, me everyone else was even a thought....yeah...you might be right. But the simple fact remains, in the last 12 years....since #1 seed has ONLY won the whole thing in 5 times in 12 years...that PROVES that home court really does not mean much because the better team won the series.

And to take it a step further, let's review a larger sample piece......

Take for instance the regular season home/away records. Currently, of all 30 NBA teams, only 2 teams have a better road record than at home (Clippers and Nets).

What does this show? 93% of the league wins more games at home than away.

Again, the regular season and the playoffs are two different seasons....in the regular season you are more than likely play alot of middle of the road or bad teams MANY times over. You are not gonna see that in the playoffs.

Well if it's any consolidation, I'm hoping that Salsa is right about the regular season being meaningless. Us Clevelanders were awfully excited with our chances at obtaining home court throughout the playoffs. As it turns out, we are now without 3 of our 5 starters due to injuries/illnesses. With the losses, I expect the team to slip a bit. If this results in not getting home court, I hope it won't matter.

I was going recently....since 1997, the #1 seeds ONLY one it 5 of last 12 years. IF you wanna go back to the dark ages before you, me everyone else was even a thought....yeah...you might be right. But the simple fact remains, in the last 12 years....since #1 seed has ONLY won the whole thing in 5 times in 12 years...that PROVES that home court really does not mean much because the better team won the series.

I was going more recently than you even. Last year, if you read my post. 14-1 last year. Last year is not quite the dark ages...

Sandra

Well if it's any consolidation, I'm hoping that Salsa is right about the regular season being meaningless. Us Clevelanders were awfully excited with our chances at obtaining home court throughout the playoffs. As it turns out, we are now without 3 of our 5 starters due to injuries/illnesses. With the losses, I expect the team to slip a bit. If this results in not getting home court, I hope it won't matter.

Injuries are an exception, when the team with home court advantage is not always the best team come playoff time. I think the Knicks were the only number eight seed to win a series, and they were devastated by injuries that year...but they were healthy for the playoffs.

Home court is still a factor, but at least you have a chance. IF Utah gets back to full strength by the playoffs, they're going to be a tough draw...assuming they make the playoffs.

I'm just saying you can't say the regular season is meaningless, recent and past history proves significantly otherwise. Even notice is's always the fans of the teams not at the top that say the regular season is meaningless?

Sandra

I heard on SportsCenter that the injury will:

1. Only keep him out for 2-3 weeks

2. Is on his non-shooting hand

So, it is NOT a season-ender!

Injuries are an exception, when the team with home court advantage is not always the best team come playoff time. I think the Knicks were the only number eight seed to win a series, and they were devastated by injuries that year...but they were healthy for the playoffs.

Home court is still a factor, but at least you have a chance. IF Utah gets back to full strength by the playoffs, they're going to be a tough draw...assuming they make the playoffs.

I'm just saying you can't say the regular season is meaningless, recent and past history proves significantly otherwise. Even notice is's always the fans of the teams not at the top that say the regular season is meaningless?

Sandra

Yup. I agree Sandra.

I heard on SportsCenter that the injury will:

1. Only keep him out for 2-3 weeks

2. Is on his non-shooting hand

So, it is NOT a season-ender!

1. This is great news. I have not heard this. If D-West is able to come back from a broken wrist in 2-3 weeks, he's tough as nails! I just hope there won't be many lingering side effects once he comes back. Delonte isn't your typical statue shooting guard. D-West is a scrappy player. He gets long rebounds, dives on the floor for loose balls and has blanket defense. If he's anything less than 100%, this will effect his game.

2. You are correct. The fact this injury happened to his non-shooting hand was the only small consolation.

...in the NFL. 14-1 series record for the NBA home teams last year says it all. Doesn't matter what happened in baseball or hockey either.

14-1 in the NBA.

Sandra

Very true...like I said, only 5 #1 seeds have won it all in the last 12 years. #1 seeds have home court through out the playoffs. THAT is self explanitory.

There's No Place Like Home

20-0 at home. The Cavs are now a perfect 7-0 on games following a loss. 11-1 against teams in the West.

I will go on to call this game the biggest win of the season. Here's why:

-The Cavs were on the second game of a back-to-back.
-They were coming off a tough OT loss in Chicago.
-Their plane in Chicago was delayed while it had to be de-iced. The team didn't get back to Cleveland until 5am.
-We were short handed without two starters (Delonte and Zydrunas Ilgauskas).
-This was the last home game before we go on a 5 game road trip out West.
-The Hornets beat the Cavs once already in the 3rd game of the season.
-The roll players had to step up in the absence of the injured players. Sasha Pavlovic (17pts) and Wally Szczerbiak (14pts) certainly responded.

But more than anything, beating a quality opponent in Chris Paul, David West and the Hornets was perfect for the psyche of this team. All teams go through adversity throughout the season and this is our turn. Claiming a "curse" or referencing other past Cleveland sports disappointments to what's going on with the Cavs right now was not right of me to say earlier this morning. That's an excuse. Not a reason. I won't accept that and I don't expect my team to either.

This is still a strong team, led by a strong leader. I love that this team responded handedly in the face of adversity. Go Cavaliers!!!!

Next up: Cavs @ Lakers- Monday Jan. 19th. 10:30pm et.

Thoughts to Ponder:1,000 Post Edition

HD for ESPN GamePlan?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)