NBA Lockout Thread

SandraC

On Vacation
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Looks like it's happening tomorrow. So far the biggest effect has been that the Sacratomato Kings can't sell Jimmer Jerseys yet, to capitalize on Jimmer Mania that is sweeping their portion of the league.

Sandra

IF I am not mistaken, didn't players rep say that they were very far part when it comes to money? I have to admit, I have not read up on what either side want. I gonna have to.

They are very far apart. A lot of owners want revenue sharing and of course the top dogs, like the Lakers, Celtics, Mavericks don't want it or the hard salary cap, because then they would have to cut a bunch of players from their payroll.

it was some huge ridiculous number in the billions. i think further apart than the situation in the NFL. i can't remember if it was 19 billion. not sure

IF I am not mistaken, didn't players rep say that they were very far part when it comes to money? I have to admit, I have not read up on what either side want. I gonna have to.

Yep. VERY VERY far apart from what I'm reading. Much further apart than when the NFL players/owners decided to strike earlier this year. I'm thinking the NBA season will be in jeopardy come next year. And that can only hurt a league that already has an abundance of disenfranchised fans.

This, I think will resolve faster the the NFL. The NBA fan base reaches world wide, the NFL does not(as compared to the NBA that is). They are very far apart as some have posted and from what I have read so far, but I think there is more money at stake than the other professional leagues.

This is the league that the owners are at their most stupid when it comes to giving out contracts. You mean to tell me Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay deserves as much a contract as Lebron, Wade, Dirk, Carmelo, Kobe and Durrant?! You gonna tell me that Devin Harris' contract of 5 years $35 million dollars is a smart contract? Gilbert Arenas, Vince Carter and Michael Redd...ALL making $18 million?! Don't blame the players... I know none in here would say no to the money. The ONLY reason there is a need for a hard cap is because the owners just cannot control themselves.

This, I think will resolve faster the the NFL. The NBA fan base reaches world wide, the NFL does not(as compared to the NBA that is). They are very far apart as some have posted and from what I have read so far, but I think there is more money at stake than the other professional leagues.

I'm not so sure this will be resolved so quickly. The world-wide reach of the sport is not a factor.

It's kind of similar to the NFL in some respects, as the players and league are disputing what percentage of the revenue goes to the players. Some owners also want a hard cap so that the big spending teams can't find ways to outspend other teams by such a wide margin. Revenue sharing between the teams has also been discussed.

With the players not due to receive their next paycheck for another five months, and pre-season games not being the lucrative cash cow for NBA teams that they are for NFL teams, neither side will feel a sense of urgency for quite a while.

Sandra

I'm not so sure this will be resolved so quickly. The world-wide reach of the sport is not a factor.

It's kind of similar to the NFL in some respects, as the players and league are disputing what percentage of the revenue goes to the players. Some owners also want a hard cap so that the big spending teams can't find ways to outspend other teams by such a wide margin. Revenue sharing between the teams has also been discussed.

With the players not due to receive their next paycheck for another five months, and pre-season games not being the lucrative cash cow for NBA teams that they are for NFL teams, neither side will feel a sense of urgency for quite a while.

Sandra

I am not saying this will be a cake walk, I just honestly think they will work something out a quicker.

Nice to see the owners threw out an 'olive branch':

Owners have dropped their insistence that no contracts could be fully guaranteed, an issue the players strongly opposed.

I don't think the NBA is as popular as you think worldwide.

you don't think its more popular than the NFL world wide? i know what is king here but outside the U.S. not so sure. well besides Futbol of course

If you are including outside the US only, it's possible. But the total amount of popularity outside the US for the NBA is still very small. The popularity of the NFL worldwide is negligible, and the NBA is not big either. With rare exceptions soccer rules both by a staggering amount.

If you include overall world popularity of the two leagues, including the US, the NBA is not even close to the NFL.

Sandra

I remember watching the Houston Rockets(Hakeem Olajuwan) playing the New York Knicks(Patrick Ewing) in the NBA play-offs,I think in 1994,in Berlin,Germany on German TV. So basketball has some popularity overseas. I think the owners want to avoid a repeat of the LeBron James,Chris Bosh,Dwayne Wade signing/resigning with the Miami Heat fiasco.

As far as the big four sports in the U.S.,their ranking overseas,using Germany as an example,would be: 1)NBA Basketball,2)I would say a tie between NHL Hockey & NFL Football,& lastly,MLB Baseball. Now I know baseball is popular in parts of Latin America & the Carribean(Cuba,Puerto Rico,Dominican Republic,Venezuela,Panama,Nicaraugua,Mexico,& Netherlands Antilles or Aruba),Japan,South Korea,& Taiwan,but that is still pretty limited in the world. I mean,Australia,Italy,China,South Africa,seriously(all played in the baseball world cup)?

But the NFL is no where near as popular OUTSIDE the US as the NBA.

I already said that. But the popularity outside the US for the NBA is low...the NFL is very low.

When you take the whole globe into account, the NFL is far more popular than the NBA. Not even close.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)