NBC Annoucement (VOOM new news on CH 593 or 594)

SMT

Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
VOOM new news on CH 593 or 594

NBC has announced that, for the period of the Summer Olympics (August 13 - 30, 2004), the digital version of their broadcast will be replaced entirely with one-day delayed highlights of Olympic competition in high definition (HD). Consumers who have access to this off-air feed will only see a 6- to 8-hour compilation of highlights and will not be able to view the network's same-day, prime-time coverage of the Olympics or other regularly scheduled programming.

The regular NBC programming schedule will return on August 31, 2004.

Special Olympic Coverage

However, during the period of the Summer Olympics, you and other VOOM customers in certain geographical areas will be able to receive BOTH of the following NBC channels via satellite, ordinarily not available:

Channels 593 or 594 - The regularly scheduled NBC programming, including live coverage of the Olympics

Channel 321 - The NBC Olympic highlights in HD

Regularly Scheduled NBC Programming - Channel 593 and Channel 594

VOOM will deliver the primary, regularly scheduled NBC programming that includes live Olympic coverage as well as other network shows. This is a special distribution of NBC programming: you will receive either WVIT from Hartford, CT, on Channel 593 or KNSD from San Diego, CA, on Channel 594 depending on your time zone. Therefore, you will not receive your local news and weather via this channel, but you will be able to view the other network programming. (Note: Broadcast may not be available in all areas. FCC rules make it prohibitive to retransmit these stations into their home markets. If you live in Hartford or San Diego, you will be unable to see this programming. Check the channels to see if you are eligible to receive this programming.)

NBC Olympic Highlights - Channel 321

For the first time by a U.S. broadcaster at a Summer Olympics, NBC will provide high-definition coverage. This special broadcast of Olympic highlights in high-definition will total 399 hours and is part of the most in-depth Olympic broadcast in history. VOOM will present this programming on Channel 321.

This broadcast will provide comprehensive high-definition coverage of the most popular sports from the main Olympic venues, all delivered in high-definition. This special broadcast of Olympic highlights is a completely independent production from the standard definition NBC broadcast. High-definition coverage begins on August 13, 2004, at 8 PM (ET) with the Olympic opening ceremonies. For the duration of the Olympic games, this special feed will feature highlights of the previous day's events and will center on swimming, diving, gymnastics, track and field, medal rounds of basketball and the men's soccer gold medal final. This special broadcast feed will continue to run through August 30, 2004.

Complete details on coverage of the 2004 Summer Olympics on other NBC Universal Networks (NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, USA, Bravo, Telemundo, NBC HDTV) are available at www.nbc.com.

We hope you enjoy this special coverage of the 2004 Summer Olympics. We regret any inconvenience this programming change by NBC may cause you, our valued VOOM customer, but we hope you will enjoy access to the NBC programming via satellite. We are working closely with NBC to minimize confusion and disruption of this kind in the future. Thank you for your understanding and continued subscription to VOOM.

If you are still uncertain about what this means to you or would like additional information, please go to the VOOM Web site for more information at www.voom.com.

Sincerely,

Tom French
Vice President, Marketing

Just got this with my local NBC info in there. :)

Dear Scott,

NBC has announced that, for the period of the Summer Olympics (August 13 - 30, 2004), the digital version of their broadcast will be replaced entirely with one-day delayed highlights of Olympic competition in high definition (HD). Consumers who have access to this off-air feed will only see a 6- to 8-hour compilation of highlights and will not be able to view the network's same-day, prime-time coverage of the Olympics or other regularly scheduled programming.

Special Olympic Coverage

However, during the period of the Summer Olympics, you and other VOOM customers in certain geographical areas will be able to receive BOTH of the following NBC channels via satellite, ordinarily not available:

Channels 593 or 594 - The regularly scheduled NBC programming, including live coverage of the Olympics

Channel 321 - The NBC Olympic highlights in HD

Regularly Scheduled NBC Programming - Channel 593 and Channel 594

VOOM will deliver the primary, regularly scheduled NBC programming that includes live Olympic coverage as well as other network shows. This is a special distribution of NBC programming: you will receive either WVIT from Hartford, CT, on Channel 593 or KNSD from San Diego, CA, on Channel 594 depending on your time zone. Therefore, you will not receive your local news and weather via this channel, but you will be able to view the other network programming. (Note: Broadcast may not be available in all areas. FCC rules make it prohibitive to retransmit these stations into their home markets. If you live in Hartford or San Diego, you will be unable to see this programming. Check the channels to see if you are eligible to receive this programming.)

NBC Olympic Highlights - Channel 321

For the first time by a U.S. broadcaster at a Summer Olympics, NBC will provide high-definition coverage. This special broadcast of Olympic highlights in high-definition will total 399 hours and is part of the most in-depth Olympic broadcast in history. VOOM will present this programming on Channel 321.

This broadcast will provide comprehensive high-definition coverage of the most popular sports from the main Olympic venues, all delivered in high-definition. This special broadcast of Olympic highlights is a completely independent production from the standard definition NBC broadcast. High-definition coverage begins on August 13, 2004, at 8 PM (ET) with the Olympic opening ceremonies. For the duration of the Olympic games, this special feed will feature highlights of the previous day's events and will center on swimming, diving, gymnastics, track and field, medal rounds of basketball and the men's soccer gold medal final. This special broadcast feed will continue to run through August 30, 2004.

Complete details on coverage of the 2004 Summer Olympics on other NBC Universal Networks (NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, USA, Bravo, Telemundo, NBC HDTV) are available at www.nbc.com.

We hope you enjoy this special coverage of the 2004 Summer Olympics. We regret any inconvenience this programming change by NBC may cause you, our valued VOOM customer, but we hope you will enjoy access to the NBC programming via satellite. We are working closely with NBC to minimize confusion and disruption of this kind in the future. Thank you for your understanding and continued subscription to VOOM.

If you are still uncertain about what this means to you or would like additional information, please go to the VOOM Web site for more information at www.voom.com.

Sincerely,

Tom French

NBC Annoucement

What does this mean?

Important Notice for VOOM Customers
If you are a VOOM customer who CAN receive the digital signal of NBC via your off-air antenna, the following will apply to your program schedule for the duration of the Olympics:
Your NBC digital off-air will be converted to a special, high-definition broadcast of the 2004 Summer Olympics. You will only receive delayed Olympic highlights in high-definition for the duration of the Olympics. The decision by NBC to make this programming change will cause you to be unable to view live Olympic coverage and regularly scheduled programming from NBC during the Olympics (August 13 - 30). The regular NBC programming schedule will return on August 31, 2004.

If you are a VOOM customer who CANNOT receive the digital signal of NBC via your off-air antenna, there will be no change in your ability to receive the network's programming.
We regret any inconvenience this programming change by NBC may cause you, our valued VOOM customer. We are working closely with NBC to minimize confusion and disruption of this kind in the future. Thank you for your understanding and continued subscription to VOOM.

If you are still uncertain about what your specific situation will be or would like additional information, please go to the VOOM Web site for more information at www.voom.com.

Sincerely,

Tom French

I got the same message, but without the parts referring to the extra channels.

I suppose that means I'm not going to get those feeds- even thought Milwaukee, WI is listed for access to those, and I'm mapped to the Milwaukee market.

!!??

Sounds to me like OTA NBC will not be receiving full coverage of the Olympics. It implies, to me at least, that cable broadcasts will be getting full coverage. ... not too sure though.

Yeah it sounds like anyone with only a digital OTA signal for NBC will be screwed if they want to see the olympics in real time, or if they want to watch any other programming. Voom is helping us out by broadcasting an SD feed over the satellite so we have the option to watch the local digital OTA for time-delayed olympic highlights (in HD), or real time olympics and other programming over the satellite (non-HD). Anyone that doesn't rely on digital OTA for their NBC feed (digital cable subscribers, for example) wouldn't have to worry about this. Glad Voom is doing something to take care of us.

It means that if you only get NBC via their digital OTA broadcast then you will not be able to see any regular NBC programming (or NBC's live SD coverage of the Olympics). Instead you will get the tape delayed HD broadcast 24/7 on your NBC channel.

NBC 3-1 just did a sound check for anyone that has a 5.1 sound system. They checked each speaker before broadcasting their normal programs for the area. Anyone ever had them do this before. It was a network sound check.

So does this mean that Voom channel 321 will be broadcasting the same exact HD feed as NBC's digital OTA channel? Or will there be 2 channels of different HD coverage?

FunkyBoss said:
So does this mean that Voom channel 321 will be broadcasting the same exact HD feed as NBC's digital OTA channel?
I am pretty sure that's the case, though there could be a time shift due to local time differences.

jagouar said:
Just curious but what does this mean for the openeing ceremonies? Are they going to be delayed 1 day as well?
No, the Opening Ceremony is expected to start on NBC HDTV at 9 PM EST, if I am not mistaken. Which is 1 hr behind NBC, thought NBC might be showing some extras during the first hour - I don't know. Note, that neither channel will be showing it live!

On Saturday, NBC HDTV will be re-playing the Opening Ceremony all day long.

This is exactly what happened during the 2002 winter games. A delayed HD loop of events, including full games, were shown on NBC digital. HDNet also carried the same material (I believe they co-produced).

The only solution for an affiliate would be to multicast the SD and HD feeds for those with digital reception only, like us. This would degrade the HD picture with the loss of bandwith to the SD channel though.

You could feed the OTA signal to your TV if it has a NTSC tuner. Since many digital OTA attennas are designed for UHF reception this may not work well.

Tobar,

I live in Central CA also and received the same email...WTF!!!

"If you are a VOOM customer who CANNOT receive the digital signal of NBC via your off-air antenna, there will be no change in your ability to receive the network's programming.
We regret any inconvenience this programming change by NBC may cause you, our valued VOOM customer. We are working closely with NBC to minimize confusion and disruption of this kind in the future. Thank you for your understanding and continued subscription to VOOM."

Wow!...this really sucks. :mad:

Confused...

Alright, we all agree this is ridiculous but I'm a bit confused. I can understand they might not broadcast the Olympics on their digital station, however, I can't imagine they won't broadcast it on their SD channel. Since it's ota there's no way for them to know who's receiving it and whether they have a satellite system or not.

I'm confused. As far as I can tell we'll still receive their SD channel as long as they're broadcasting via their SD channels--which I'm sure they will.

The Rickster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)